What Are Your Other Interests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually diabetes in the US for example is closer to 12% with another 1/3 of the population undiagnosed simply because they've not been tested and almost 50% of the population are insulin resistant and diabetes and IR are the leading cause of death, blindness and lower limb amputations.

Most of this comes down to diet and lifestyle. Americans consume over 60% of their calories from ultra processed foods and closer to 80% if we include processed food and over 40% of the population are actually obese with another 30% that are only classified as overweight, so basically 70% of the US population is overweight or obese and where 85% of that population have either insulin resistance or diabetes. Diabetes is a blood sugar, insulin problem and with continual spiking of blood sugar from this type of high carbohydrate diet multiple times a day and then over the course of years eventually the whole system breaks down and the beta cells in the pancreas just can't accommodate the amount of blood sugar that needs to be removed in a timely fashion. The more Italy adopts this lifestyle the more diabetes and obesity your going to see.

"Foods" engineered to be hyperpalatable is the foundation of ultra processed foods which typically are a combination of carbohydrates, sugar, fat and salt which triggers the brains reward system which interferes with the body's ability to regulate appetite and satiety which encourages excessive eating, this isn't rocket science, it's a well documented fact and has been for decades. Our evolutionary adaptive abilities that helped us survive are now turning out to be our nemesis, isn't that special.

Wow, those are very high percentages.
A common factor here is that many people who have diabetes 2 are not actually overweight, apparently we have about 12% of the population obese and 36% just overweight.
Our problem/bad habit here is eating too many carbs, l don't think we exaggerate too much with ultra-processed foods, but maybe with cured meats, yes. That's why we have a lot of people (not overweight, like me) with high cholesterol levels, although this can be hereditary. I don't eat salame anymore😅.
This is beginning to sound like a nutritional thread.

Wow, those are very high percentages.
A common factor here is that many people who have diabetes 2 are not actually overweight, apparently we have about 12% of the population obese and 36% just overweight.
Our problem/bad habit here is eating too many carbs, l don't think we exaggerate too much with ultra-processed foods, but maybe with cured meats, yes. That's why we have a lot of people (not overweight, like me) with high cholesterol levels, although this can be hereditary. I don't eat salame anymore😅.
This is beginning to sound like a nutritional thread.
High cholesterol or I should say oxidized LDL particles that are the actual cause of heart disease is caused by inflammation and not eating foods with cholesterol. Lower inflammation and we lower our heart disease risk and the main cause of chronic inflammation is the overconsumption of mostly the refined types carbohydrates and sugar and someones triglyceride levels will tell someone if they're at risk for heart disease and any number higher than 200 they should probably get a calcium scan that actually shows atherosclerosis in our arteries. Around 70% of people with diabetes, which is another inflammatory disease will have high triglycerides and the AHA (American Heart Association) report around 68% of people with diabetes has heart disease and this has nothing to do with obesity and everything to do with diet. For example both India and China have more people with diabetes per capita that the USA and their BMI (body mass index) is in the normal to low range, basically they're fairly thin and both cultures get far more daily movement than the average American as well, so it's not really from being that sedentary either.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, would you believe? the City of Hamilton was hacked. I'm not sure which systems were affected but all library services are vastly crippled. Have been for more than a month. So although you can still log out a book, it is more than I can do for the research. Unless you know the exact author and title for the book you want. Very frustrating. I like to browse.
Even to take a physical book out, what used to be computerized is now done manually by the staff.

Hey folks,
as much as some of the posts are interesting, for this thread, I'm not really interested in hearing/reading a full blown college lecture.
I'm just interested in what others dabble in.

After spending many years in science and in education, I am happily retired. I love cooking but also enjoy frilly entertaining meaning using items that few have use for such as tomato servers and bone dishes. :LOL: After fighting through the 70s and 80s for gender and racial equity, I love my homemaking hobby which includes gardening. I like to study the old ways of doing things including Victory gardens and foraging. I miss sailing, enjoy fishing, and gain strength from water and moon phases. I love to read, write, and like to travel. I'm interested in reducing food waste and knowing what is in the foods we eat. Movies and documentaries are what I watch. I miss living near family. Once upon a life, I played electric bass. As far as interactions, my days of righteous fury are behind me. I simply want to live a harmonious life, enjoy my hobbies, and have new experiences.

After spending many years in science and in education, I am happily retired. I love cooking but also enjoy frilly entertaining meaning using items that few have use for such as tomato servers and bone dishes. :LOL: After fighting through the 70s and 80s for gender and racial equity, I love my homemaking hobby which includes gardening. I like to study the old ways of doing things including Victory gardens and foraging. I miss sailing, enjoy fishing, and gain strength from water and moon phases. I love to read, write, and like to travel. I'm interested in reducing food waste and knowing what is in the foods we eat. Movies and documentaries are what I watch. I miss living near family. Once upon a life, I played electric bass. As far as interactions, my days of righteous fury are behind me. I simply want to live a harmonious life, enjoy my hobbies, and have new experiences.

I have owned four boats, two of them sailboats. Oh, and a SeaDoo. I miss them. I really want to get another SeaDoo, because it is so easy to tow to the lake on a whim, and spend a few hours speeding around on the water. I used to tow it to work from time-to-time, and take off early on a weekday and have the lake practically to myself.

Sorry for interrupting the diabetes discussion. ;)

CD

Ahh, casey, SeaDoo's and SkiDoo's.... so much fun. Never actually owned one but when I got the chance, they had to drag me off. Now an ATV, used my son's as he stored it on the farm and would pick it up to take to the cottage. That was a blast thru the woods behind the farm. Was useful for farm work as well.
OctobersandSept020.jpg
OctobersandSept019.jpg

Bringing in the broccoli or hauling hay to the paddocks.

Ahh, casey, SeaDoo's and SkiDoo's.... so much fun. Never actually owned one but when I got the chance, they had to drag me off. Now an ATV, used my son's as he stored it on the farm and would pick it up to take to the cottage. That was a blast thru the woods behind the farm. Was useful for farm work as well.
View attachment 68971 View attachment 68972

Bringing in the broccoli or hauling hay to the paddocks.
With it loaded like that, how do you see to drive it?

Kathleen, had to look up bone dishes and tomato servers. Not sure I would use bone plates, but just maybe for chicken. Tomato Servers are divine! I want one! Am going to the Antique Stores and look for one. .... and just maybe a bone plate to put in the cabinet so as to tell the kids what it is.
Plus, I agree, these things should be used! I always used my old pieces, not everyday but for absolutely sure when people came over - even just a girlfriend for supper on occasion.

Kathleen, had to look up bone dishes and tomato servers. Not sure I would use bone plates, but just maybe for chicken. Tomato Servers are divine! I want one! Am going to the Antique Stores and look for one. .... and just maybe a bone plate to put in the cabinet so as to tell the kids what it is.
Plus, I agree, these things should be used! I always used my old pieces, not everyday but for absolutely sure when people came over - even just a girlfriend for supper on occasion.

My ex-wife loved that kind of stuff, but she collected all kinds of stuff. We had a house full of antique "knick-knacks." that all went with her... I kept the antique furniture. :ROFLMAO:

CD

You need bone plates! Honestly, you will be surprised how often they are useful. Plus, their shape just hugs the plate.

Tomato servers can be gorgeous. Plus, they just add something even when people are helping them selves while building a tomato sandwich. I confess that I have a lot of fun with such things.

You need bone plates! Honestly, you will be surprised how often they are useful. Plus, their shape just hugs the plate.

Tomato servers can be gorgeous. Plus, they just add something even when people are helping them selves while building a tomato sandwich. I confess that I have a lot of fun with such things.
Are bone plates the same as bone china?

I actually had that as a passing thought, taxy but for some reason didn't think it right... and I was right! Had a suspicion it was more obvious to the name. You'll have to check it out yourself... LOL, ain't gonna do your homework for you.

OK Kathleen, yuh got me, Bone Plates will be on the search as well.

Last edited:
Hey folks,
as much as some of the posts are interesting, for this thread, I'm not really interested in hearing/reading a full blown college lecture.
I'm just interested in what others dabble in.
It's an interesting discussion, though. Maybe you or another staff member could pull out the posts on low-carb diets/diabetes into a new thread.

When I look up "bone plates," I get things that are used to set bone fractures. That's not what you're talking about, right? 🤣 Please post some pictures of yours.

When I look up "bone plates," I get things that are used to set bone fractures. That's not what you're talking about, right? 🤣 Please post some pictures of yours.
That's what I got too. Those pictures didn't seem to fit Kathleen's description.

Back
Top Bottom