What dish would you make with a pinch of saffron\?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So I harvested my saffron and the threads are now drying.
Looks like I will have a generous pinch of saffron to play with.

I dont use saffron all that often, and when I do, it's usually in some sort of ice dish. I have no problems using it in another rice dish, just curious what you all would do if you had a generous pinch of saffron to use.

All suggestions welcome. Dont worry about the vegetarian thing, Im looking more for ideas than specific recipes just so I can get pointed in a direction.

A cup of chicken soup, or a vegetable soup of carrots, peppers, onions, a touch of tomato, a little celery, mushrooms, garlic lightly, mushrooms/or mushroom powder, a tiny bit of lemon, the saffron, and salt if needed, pepper if needed.

I would use it:
  • in dahl
  • in an orange lentil dish
  • It would be great to add to water, and made into a saffron tea to be used in making homemade pasta
  • added to homemade curries
  • risotto
  • in wild rice
  • in orzo
  • homemade creamy wild mushroom soup
  • yellow dried pea soup
    add to béchamel

Hope that gives you a few ideas to chew on (pun intended:))

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I would use it:
  • in dahl
  • in an orange lentil dish
  • It would be great to add to water, and made into a saffron tea to be used in making homemade pasta
  • added to homemade curries
  • ]risotto
  • in wild rice
  • in orzo
  • homemade creamy wild mushroom soup
  • yellow dried pea soup
  • add to béchamel

Hope that gives you a few ideas to chew on (pun intended)

Mexican yellow rice, which is not to be confused with Canadian yellow snow. You're not supposed to eat that.

"Out there where the huskies go
Don't you eat that yellow snow"

Frank Zappa and The Mothers Of Invention:rolleyes:

However, Pure white, Canadian snow, made yellow by lemon, or Mellow Yellow soda is ok.:LOL:

Last edited:
I´d use it to make a paella; shrikhand ( an Indian yoghurt sweet); byriani rice; Morrocan saffron chicken; Indian paneer tikka (grilled cheese);chundoo ( an Indian green mango chutney with cardamom seeds and golden raisins), or a sauce for salmon.

So I finally used my homegrown " pinch" of saffron which confirmed a few things I already knew.

1) I understand why Saffron is expensive due to the labor require to harvest and see amount it takes to produce a useable/ marketable amount. ( my 50 flowers gave me the pinch I needed, just enough for 1 dish)

2) Having bought and used saffron in the past, and now using fresh saffron, I dont like it all that much. I dont hate it, but not necessarily something I'd crave or go out of my way for. Having now been able to compare what I had in the past to what I just used, they tasted the same , so I cant blame it on variety , freshness.... just not my thing.

3) Having said the above, I dont understand why people would spend so much on it, but some would argue the same to me about truffles :) To each their own.

I decided to go with a basic saffron rice. Only addition to the recipe for me was toasted pine nuts. The rice cooker perfectly, the pine nuts were great ( I should use them more often).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.27.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 7.27.18 PM.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom