What ended up being dinner Christmas Eve, 12-24-2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Since we never did have traditional foods at our respective Christmas eves, I decided to make a different dish. I mashed up about three different recipes for Moroccan Chicken with Green Olives and Preserved Lemons. The lemons were homemade with my own loving hands months ago! Decided it was time to find things to do with them. The sides were couscous with almonds and cranberries, and green beans with a touch of butter. We also had the plain version of cream biscuits. Made another pan of sweetened ones so I have them ready for dessert on Christmas.

What did you end up eating? Hopefully not Santa's cookies and milk. :ohmy:

Attachments

• 2016-12-24 23.31.33.jpg
    2016-12-24 23.31.33.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 187
We started with pickled herring, smoked salmon, smoked lake trout, moved to shrimp, followed by cod poached in white wine served with dill-butter-lemon sauce, green beans with bleu cheese and pecans and a fruit salad. I had to gear the meal to accommodate what my Mom "might" eat. She ate a lot of the pickled herring and shrimp, but we hit "Sun downers" by the time the rest went on the table. I said "no" to having a caregiver come in tonight. I just wanted it to be family. While Dad went to church, Mom napped so presents and dessert were done once he got home. Just got Mom back to bed. Definitely a late night for her. Christmas Eve...Glad that is over.

Looks wonderful, CG! :yum:

I had a steamed artichoke with garlic/lemon butter, a small salad, and half of a Thomas's cranberry English muffin, with yet more butter. :) Those seasonal English muffins are so good. :)

After both of us waking up so early yesterday, me a little after 2 and Craig about 3:30, then the 2+ hour drive each way to see the grandkids, besides the fact that we didn't want it to go to waste, we ended up eating the rest of the paella we made the night before, with an avo and red onion salad, and the last of the flan from earlier in the week for dessert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been cooking or prepping to cook all day, still at it at 5 am. Smoker going. I had a frozen pizza... and beer.

I was exhausted after making the bratwurst - it's harder than it seems! - so, easy dinner. I took a dish of stuffed shells out of the freezer and put it in the cold oven, then baked till done. I also made salads with greens from the garden and served homemade no-knead bread. For dessert, we had slices of a delicious lemon pound cake my brother and SIL sent us for Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom