What is healthier? Filtered or unfiltered extra virgin olive oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the scale on which you're judging healthier?

Calories, fat types, tocophenols.....

Healthier can mean so many different things to different people.

@thym, I dont know. I just want whatever is healthier for the human body. I dont care whatever it looks like or whatever tastes better
We can't really tell you what is healthier, if you don't have a definition of what is healthier to you. By my standards, filtered and unfiltered EVOO are equally healthy. In this case, I would mainly be looking at differences in taste and possibly in shelf life.

Healthy is a moving target.

Governments revise their"standards"all the time. Saturated fat is bad and trans fats are better, no it's the other way around.

Healthy varies by medical specialty. Wine is good, no level of alcohol is safe.

Healthy varies by your genetics and location.

I think Michael Pollan's statement is about as good as any I've heard. Eat real food, mostly plants. Real food is something unprocessed. If it's something your grandma wouldn't recognize as food don't eat it. It's too processed.

Be adaptable. Our understanding of health and the science of nutrition is an ever-growing and expanding field.

Most reporting about studies is premature. These are preliminary studies-one offs that haven't been duplicated or deeply researched and the study population is invariably very small. Their purpose is to indicate potential areas where further research might focus. Instead stay in touch with and rely on your medical professional for the latest well founded consensus on health.

As to the oils I think that's drifting too far into hype and fads. I'd look at it more from the perspective of how much does it cost, how fast will I use it, what can I use it for. If you listen to all the specific details about the different grades of olive oils and how they should be best used you'd probably end up stocking a good extra virgin, a very high grade extra virgin, a pomace and maybe a pure. Some for using fresh, some for use as a garnish, some for use for frying and so on. But unless I can buy a garnishing oil in the 2 oz bottle I'm probably not going to use up a whole liter of that before it ages out. That's an expensive recipe for a lot of waste. Rather buy an oil that balances between your budget your storage how fast you'll use it andthe quality of the oil and then use it for pretty much every olive oil purpose. But also for the cuisine I cook and the taste of the oils.

In my opinion it's not reasonable to stock four or five different olive oils, keep them fresh and devote that kind of storage and manage date cycles. At least for my personal situation. Instead I buy a good olive oil, extra virgin in my case because I can afford it, and then I have some grape seed for more common uses in a neutral oil. And that covers my oil needs pretty much while being healthy to the current general understanding of healthy.

If I lived in a region where olive oil was commonly produced and consumed as the general cuisine of the region I might cook differently and store oils differently too.

There are many ways to balance the healthy equation for your individual situation.

Last edited:
dcnewbie, think perhaps thymless has pretty much nailed it for you. I think also that unless you are planning to drink a litre a day the kind of oil is a moot question. Generally speaking Olive Oil is considered healthier than a lot of other oils - I would just go with that. It give you a chance to focus on other healthy food concerns.

And at the same time- Thank You so much for asking that question! Think you got some terrific answers.

I don't think health when it comes to olive oil. Its flavor I want and the health benefit is the added benefit.
Think "Life Of Loi".

Both filtered and unfiltered extra virgin olive oil have their own merits, but neither can be definitively categorized as "healthier" than the other. The choice between filtered and unfiltered olive oil primarily depends on personal preference and specific culinary needs.

Here are some points to consider:

Filtered Extra Virgin Olive Oil:

1. Clarity: Filtered olive oil has a clear and transparent appearance since filtration removes any sediment or impurities. It has a smooth texture and a consistent, golden color.
  2. Longer Shelf Life: Filtration helps remove particles that could contribute to spoilage or rancidity, potentially extending the shelf life of the oil.
  3. Mild Flavor: Some people prefer the milder flavor profile of filtered olive oil, as the filtration process can reduce the intensity of flavors.
Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil:

1. Retained Nutrients: Unfiltered olive oil retains more natural particles, such as olive fruit fragments or sediment, which can contain beneficial compounds like antioxidants and polyphenols.
  2. Enhanced Flavor: The presence of these particles can contribute to a more robust and fruity flavor profile, which some individuals prefer.
  3. Limited Shelf Life: Due to the presence of residual particles, unfiltered olive oil may have a shorter shelf life compared to filtered varieties. It is generally recommended to consume unfiltered oil within a shorter time frame.
Ultimately, the nutritional value and health benefits of extra virgin olive oil come from its high content of monounsaturated fats and bioactive compounds, regardless of whether it is filtered or unfiltered. Both types can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation.

When selecting olive oil, it is advisable to look for reputable brands that adhere to quality standards and certifications, such as the International Olive Council (IOC) or regional organizations that ensure the authenticity and quality of the oil.

If you are looking for healthy - I suggest you find an Olive Oil Dispensary. A store that specializes in these oils. They can tell you what country they come from (not that it matters healthwise), the type of Olive, such as Koroneiki, Arbequina, several others, just how spicy/robust it is. eg. a faint taste of green bananas, some astringency, fleeting bitterness and lingering pungency. Plus what it pairs well with.
But more importantly they can tell you the ppm of the Biophinois which is the healthy thing you are looking for to help with free radicals (or something like that).
Going to a specialty store will give you much more biophinois that what you get at a grocer.
According to my supplier (yes, probably biased but still) if you get 60 to 80 and lucky if you get 100 ppm at the grocery store. Whereas at the specialty shops you will get minimum 250 ppm and the Korineiki I mentioned above has 451.6 ppm.
The higher the count the more robust the oil - and believe me, when I say 'robust' the back of your throat will know what I'm talking about!
I learned a lot more about olive oils! I sort of went into 'overload' and need to go back and go over a lot again.

Both filtered and unfiltered extra virgin olive oil can be considered healthy options, and their nutritional content is quite similar. The main difference between the two lies in their appearance and taste.
Filtered extra virgin olive oil has been passed through a fine mesh or cloth to remove any remaining olive fruit particles or sediment. As a result, it appears clearer and has a longer shelf life. Filtering doesn't significantly affect the nutritional profile, and it is still rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, and other beneficial compounds.
Unfiltered extra virgin olive oil, on the other hand, retains the olive fruit particles, which can make the oil appear cloudy. While it may have a shorter shelf life due to potential sediment settling over time, it can offer a more robust and fruity flavor.
Both types of olive oil contain similar health benefits, including:
1. High levels of monounsaturated fats that promote heart health.
2. Polyphenols and antioxidants that protect against oxidative stress and inflammation.
3. Vitamin E, which is beneficial for skin health and immune function.
Ultimately, the choice between filtered and unfiltered extra virgin olive oil comes down to personal preference. Both options provide health benefits, so feel free to choose the one that suits your taste and culinary needs. Just make sure to select high-quality extra virgin olive oil to ensure you get the most nutritional benefits.

Where does one go to find out if an oil is "high quality"?
I'm not being facetious, I have asked this question before but no one seems to have an answer. I just threw out an $18.00 bottle of expensive oil because the stale scent almost made me gag.
I found one site (NYTimes Mag) that listed some, but all but one I've never seen here. Oils seem to be rather oriented to various areas in the country.
Believe it or not "Kirkland" brand was rated quite high. The price on Amazon is not bad but I can only use small bottles. Large ones do not get used up in my kitchen fast enough and go stale.
Colavita - another popular brand around here, is not even listed.
Would be interesting to see "high quality" - 'medium quality" - "extra low quality" written on the labels.
And/or "Arbequina Olives from Chile" or " Highest quality Turkish Olives used" , "Coratina Olives from Australia". To the best of my knowledge I've never had a Turkish oil but I like the Australian and Chilean ones. They are very tasty but hugely expensive.

What brands do you all use? How fast do you go thru them? How relatively expensive are they?

This article describes what to look for when buying olive oil: The Best Olive Oils for Drizzling and Cooking

I buy Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil for cooking. It tastes ok to me. I generally use a fair amount of seasonings when I cook, so the flavor of the oil doesn't make a lot of difference.

For salads and drizzling, right now I have a Turkish olive oil from the Mediterranean grocery store (the brands they have vary; I grab one that's described as fruity on the label). I used to get olive oil from the specialty store where you can taste them first, but the one near me closed early in the pandemic. The 1000 ml bottle lasts a few months and then I buy another one.

My everyday EVOO, that I use for cooking and sometimes for drizzling is Spanish, Gallo. I buy a 3 litre can of it and refill a 1 litre bottle. It has never gone stale for me. I fry almost everything in that oil. I started really using EVOO a lot and found that it didn't go stale as fast as when I was being more conservative with it and even keeping it in the fridge. For drizzling, I usually use EVOO from Portugal, Herdade do Esporão. I don't know why this won't let me link using the link icon, but it won't. Here's the link. It describes the place that grows the olives and presses them.:

Filtered and unfiltered extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) both have health benefits due to their high content of monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, and other beneficial compounds. Unfiltered EVOO contains tiny particles of olive fruit, which can add more flavour and might slightly increase the antioxidant content which is why in my opinion it's slightly healthier. On the downside it has a shorter shelf life.

Back
Top Bottom