What is your most loathed cooking terminology?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
Mine is “hack”. No, it’s not a hack, it’s a variation or different technique. It’s a term that is widely used and incorrectly, which gets really annoying.

My other is one that I notice gets used more frequently nowadays. On television cooking shows, the cook will say “go in “. For example “I’ve sifted the flour, now I go in with butter “ etc. Every ingredient, they “go in” with. Sure, it’s not really important but it just grinds my gears every time I hear it!

What say you?

Imprecise terms make me a little crazy. Dash, pinch, add-in, etc. If I have never prepared the dish or eaten it before I need more help. As an example: "Now, add in the butter" Do I cut it in, melt and stir in, pitch a whole chunk in, etc??

extra virgin olive oil.....
just a pet peeve. All olive oil I ever see is marked extra virgin, but I'm sure it is not.
Real extra virgin should just be used for salad dressing etc in my opinion :)

And umami....
It's overused

Medium size - a medium sized carrot, potato, onion, squash, cucumber....

ARGGGGGGG
I am generally annoyed by the imprecision of ingredients. A cup of shredded cheese. Do you just grate it into a cup? Do you press it down so you can fit more in? Is it finely shredded or thickly shredded? Just tell me ". . .four ounces of shredded cheese." Same goes for other imprecise units of measure, flour being a prime example. Go by weight, the conversion is right on the flour bag!

I am generally annoyed by the imprecision of ingredients. A cup of shredded cheese. Do you just grate it into a cup? Do you press it down so you can fit more in? Is it finely shredded or thickly shredded? Just tell me ". . .four ounces of shredded cheese." Same goes for other imprecise units of measure, flour being a prime example. Go by weight, the conversion is right on the flour bag!
"Four ounces of shredded cheese" is still pretty imprecise. It gives you the weight, but not how thickly or thinly it should be shredded. Hopefully the rest of the recipe gives more hints.

That's one of the reasons that for Danish recipes, I use mostly one site. Here's an example of an ingredient list. All the underlined ingredients have that hover-over-box that you can see in this screenshot:

1682115803313.png

That's for the "Flødeost, naturel", which is plain cream cheese. "tsk." = tsp. and "spsk." = Tbsp. They even tell you that the 300 grams of onion is peeled onion. The flyover tells you that an average peeled onion weighs approximately 150g., just in case you don't have a scale.

I have never seen a recipe that differentiates between seeds and greens. Sprinkle with some coriander to finish.... is a new cook going to know the difference?
Some, correction, I would say even MOST people don't even know they are the same plant.

They even tell you that the 300 grams of onion is peeled onion. The flyover tells you that an average peeled onion weighs approximately 150g., just in case you don't have a scale.
Here again.... what is average?

"Four ounces of shredded cheese" is still pretty imprecise. It gives you the weight, but not how thickly or thinly it should be shredded. Hopefully the rest of the recipe gives more hints.
With the weight measurement you're at least getting the right amount of cheese. Also, if the cheese melts in the dish, shred size becomes immaterial.

Back
Top Bottom