What one tool in your kitchen do you treasure the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Well for me it is a stupid little tool called a shark. It has very sharp points on it and is used to remove the stem in a tomato. It is about the length of my middle finger. I also use it for culling strawberries. Also my microplanes. I keep both of them covered in my drawer. I keep the sharks (I have two of them) in an empty toilet paper roll with one end taped over so they don't fall out and the microplanes in an empty paper towel roll. One end taped. :chef:

My olive wood spoons and spatulas. I freak when Shrek thinks they need to soak. And MY egg pan and MY Henckles Pro "S" knives...oh you said one...MY 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup....just one prized possession?:LOL:

My olive wood spoons and spatulas. I freak when Shrek thinks they need to soak. And MY egg pan and MY Henckles Pro "S" knives...oh you said one...MY 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup....just one prized possession?:LOL:

Notice I did more than one. I didn't really think anyone would be able to pick just one!!! Just my sense of humor at work again. :LOL::LOL:

Nothing makes me crazier than my 2 cup measure being put on a shelf I can't reach without a step stool, that's one thing I've drilled into Shrek's head. It's always being used, the only time I don't use it is when I'm feeding the cats.

For me the sentimental favorites are a tin measuring cup from Swans Down cake flour, a biscuit cutter from Egg baking powder, a set of colored nesting Pyrex bowls, a couple of old wooden spoons, a collection of wood handled two and three tined granny forks and a couple of cast iron fry pans. They are all from my mother and grandmother. They all helped to make me what I am today, FAT! :ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO: Lots of good memories!

The most important modern item is a little plastic citrus peeler. I think it was a premium from one of those dreadful Tupperware parties!

Nothing makes me crazier than my 2 cup measure being put on a shelf I can't reach without a step stool, that's one thing I've drilled into Shrek's head. It's always being used, the only time I don't use it is when I'm feeding the cats.

Being only 4'8" tall, and living alone. I have everything down where I can reach it. I do have two stools. But there are cabinets that are empty and will stay that way. One is over the fridge and the other is over the stove and hood. Whoever designed these apartments didn't take into account that the elderly shrink when they get older. :ohmy:

For me the sentimental favorites are a tin measuring cup from Swans Down cake flour, a biscuit cutter from Egg baking powder, a set of colored nesting Pyrex bowls, a couple of old wooden spoons, a collection of wood handled two and three tined granny forks and a couple of cast iron fry pans. They are all from my mother and grandmother. They all helped to make me what I am today, FAT! :ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO: Lots of good memories!

The most important modern item is a little plastic citrus peeler. I think it was a premium from one of those dreadful Tupperware parties!

I have those Granny forks also. My middle son wants them. I had a cast iron pan for many, many moons. But it became too heavy for me to lift. So my daughter now has it. :(

Being only 4'8" tall, and living alone. I have everything down where I can reach it. I do have two stools. But there are cabinets that are empty and will stay that way. One is over the fridge and the other is over the stove and hood. Whoever designed these apartments didn't take into account that the elderly shrink when they get older. :ohmy:

He would smile sweetly and tell me he would be happy to get it for me when I needed it...I don't want to have to reach or get a stool out or request, it should be handy for me.

I stash things in the cupboards above the stove and fridge with things I need but only use every once in a while. Being short is a challenge.

He would smile sweetly and tell me he would be happy to get it for me when I needed it...I don't want to have to reach or get a stool out or request, it should be handy for me.

I stash things in the cupboards above the stove and fridge with things I need but only use every once in a while. Being short is a challenge.

I hear ya on the request part. I live alone and therefore there isn't anyone to ask. So those cabinets stay empty. I am fortunate in that I have one of the larger studio apartments in the building. I have a full size galley type kitchen. When I moved in here, I had to downsize drastically. Which turned out to be a good thing. I have always said that I don't want to spend my last days on earth cleaning "stuff". But since I do all the baking for the family, I have all my cake pans, sifters, measuring cups, etc. I try to make meals that require only one pot. :chef:

My most sentimental piece?? Hands down my 3.5 Le Cruset from my mom. It has a crack and I COULD turn it in to the manufacturer and get it replaced for free, But I just don't have the heart to do it. I do belive that when I asked mom to give it to me when I moved out along with her LC fry pan she actually shed tears.

Last edited:
I don't think I treasure any tool in my kitchen. I use the screwdriver in the bottom drawer the most though.

Without a doubt...my (3) 2-quart Anchor-Hocking batter bowls. I use them ALL the time. Sometimes I have 2 occupied at the same time.

Why 3? Because I don't have 4. I broke one several years ago and I nearly mourned.:ohmy:

I'd have to say my microwave. I don't know how we survived before.

But... since everyone seems to be talking about other types of tools, I'd say my kitchen shears. For opening packages or cutting up meats, it's really a time saver.

I have a very old butcher's knife that is all but destroyed. The blade is jagged and gnarled, and it is the BEST knife for cutting tomatoes ever.

My great-grandfather was a butcher and was visiting my grandmother when she was a new bride. My grandfather had bought a pig that had been culled from the farmer down the road. My great-grandfather did not have his tools but butchered the pig using a knife that came with the set my grandparents bought. When he came to the kitchen with the knife, he apologized for ruining the knife. My grandmother kept it for tomatoes and I felt really blessed to get it when she passed.

Kathleen

Probably my kitchen shears (2) and my tongs (3, 2 cheapies and one long Martha Stewart type). Oh, and my ceramic knives.

Oops, that's 3 things...but used daily.

The garbage disposal. In my temporary quarters I don't have one. It is severely limiting my cooking because any interesting cook job sometimes takes me 1-2 days to finish clean up.

My white handled dimascus chefs knife from Russels. I use that thing all day every day. I even use it to scrape a carrot instead of peel it, and I can peeel a cucumber just fine with it it too. Nothing else gets used as much.

I would rather use it for food prep than a processor for most things. I can do whatever and wash it faster than breaking out the Quisanart and washing it.

My knives, and the two 4 tbsp measuring cups that are labeled on the angle inside the cup. Who would think a 4 tbsp measuring cup would be so handy, but it is!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom