What Turkey Type Are You Buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of Turkey did you buy?

• Fresh - I'll brine it myself

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Fresh - I'll butter/oil it myself

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Fresh Kosher Pre-Brined

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fresh or Frozen Organic or Free-Range

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Frozen Inexpensive - Self-basting

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen Young Turkey

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Butterball

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Okay I'm on thin ice here with all you Turkey experts, this is how I do mine.
I make my stuffing using a base of minced fat belly pork, breadcrumbs eggs and anything else I fancy, I stuff the crop only then sew it up. I then wrap the legs in thick foil. I have a V shaped roasting trivet I place the bird breast down into it, stick halved onions into the chest cavity.
I turn it over and remove the foil for the last 30 to 40 mins, I then let it rest for 30 to 40 mins.

I go with a cheap frozen turkey myself.These are brined by way if injecting a saltwater solution in to the meat.The solution gets in there just fine.I have brined birds before and didn't notice anything different.

I started out brining Cornish Game Hens, then to a chicken. I have yet to brine a turkey, no pot big enough!

I'm soon on my way to get my fresh, free range turkey parts I pre-ordered. Last year I did a whole 20 lb free range, it was great and we had turkey forever. This year I ordered a whole breast from a 15 pounder, back, neck and giblets, I'll be watching while the butcher cuts my bird. A friend of mine is getting the legs, thighs and wings for extras with his 15 lb turkey.

As I mentioned on another thread, my son is doing a 20lb bird on his Webber grill. I have gladly passed the turkey baton to him, as it's always the most outstanding turkey ever! I think he just gets the least expensive one, and injects it with Cajun marinade.

We usually buy the frozen turkeys. Unless our butcher offers up fresh.

Brining a Turkey for some would be considered over kill. Most frozen Turkeys are already injected with a brine solution. I think it comes down to what is available to you at the time. Or how you prefer your bird to be prepped.

Dry brining is easy. I like to after the birds been cleaned, to loosen the skin all around. Makes it easier to apply the rub. Wrassling big birds kind of fun :)
Take 1 cup of Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and dried sage. A nice poulty seasoning mix, add what you want. Mix it all together. Wrassle the bird. Brush on some olive oil to the skin and roast on a rack. Comes out flavorful and juicy every time.

Here's a few links on brining.
Brining Technique For Cooking Meat and Chicken

Dad Cooks Dinner: Rotisserie Recipes on DadCooksDinner

Dad Cooks Dinner: Rotisserie Turkey, Dry Brined with Orange and Spices

I'm kinda surprised I'm the only one getting a fresh turkey and that no one is getting a Butterball. Actually, Im getting a fresh Butterball.

I'm kinda surprised I'm the only one getting a fresh turkey and that no one is getting a Butterball. Actually, Im getting a fresh Butterball.

I am getting a fresh turkey! Or at least the parts, my butcher appointment is @ 2 pm My Standard Time.:)

I'm the lone vote on: Fresh or Frozen Organic or Free-Range

Last edited:

Butterballs are injected. If I can I try to find one that isn't or minimal. Purdue doesn't inject but I can't find one around here.

Brining adds moisture and flavor to a turkey. Cooking a brined turkey you will not have dry breast meat unless you seriously overcook it.

During brining the moisture in the turkey is less salty than the brine so there is an exchange of moisture between the turkey and the brine to equalize the saltiness. This process draws the salted and flavored brine into the turkey resulting in a nicely flavored and moist bird.

I don't consider it a lot of work. My effort in total is no more than 20 minutes or so to prepare the brine and chill it then to drop the bird into the brine the night before and take it out and rinse it Thursday morning.

To insure a moist bird, I don't stuff the turkey but make stuffing and bake it separately.

I use Alton Brown's Thanksgiving Turkey recipe for brining and roasting. I've never had a bad result.

Not to be argumentative, Andy, :)but when referring to brining, that term "adds flavor" really gets me. The brine is basically salty water and a few spices, which you can add during cooking. How can adding salt, add flavor? The flavor is already there. Salt just makes the mouth water which makes one perceive that there is more flavor. If you salted the bird with the same amount of sodium it picks up from brining, you would have the same thing. Brining also makes it harder to achieve crispy skin which is something I love, so, no brining for me.

We are told not to salt our beef before cooking because it draws the moisure out of the meat. Wouldn't a salty brine do the same thing to the bird? My sister in law swears by brining. She can keep her bird..lol!:LOL:

Last edited:
Not to be argumentative, Andy, :)but when referring to brining, that term "adds flavor" really gets me. The brine is basically salty water and a few spices, which you can add during cooking. How can adding salt, add flavor? The flavor is already there. Salt just makes the mouth water which makes one perceive that there is more flavor. If you salted the bird with the same amount of sodium it picks up from brining, you would have the same thing. Brining also makes it harder to achieve crispy skin which is something I love, so, no brining for me.

We are told not to salt our beef before cooking because it draws the moisure out of the meat. Wouldn't a salty brine do the same thing to the bird? My sister in law swears by brining. She can keep her bird..lol!:LOL:

Rocky,

I use this recipe for brining and roasting my turkey. As you can see, a brine is not limited to salt so flavor is not limited to saltiness.

Rocky,

I use this recipe for brining and roasting my turkey. As you can see, a brine is not limited to salt so flavor is not limited to saltiness.

That's the one I have been using for a few years. It is really good. People really rave about my turkey, saying that it is the best that they have ever had.

I always have crispy skin even when brining, I bake according to Alton's directions with great results.

I usually buy whatever frozen bird is the cheapest!

i got the best one of all. FREE. it is a young turkey about 12 pounds. don't know if it is injected or not. will have to check. gonna do a beer butt turkey with bacon. saw guy feri do on big bite. although he did to chicken , am sure it will work. just a bit different, and fun.

Kosher/ Kashrut certification is needed by the Abattoir sell the meat as Kosher, here the turkey would have a metal seal on it. I think that all salt is Kosher so it must be called kosher for some other reason.

I think we've had more than one conversation about "kosher" salt here that went on for pages.

And yes, all salts are in fact kosher, but if there is no rabinical supervision then the salt (any product) cannot be sold as kosher. The only reason the "kosher" salt is called kosher is because the large grain salt is used in kashering of the meat process so that is why it is called kosher.

As far as turkey. I bought Kosher turkey last year, and did not get to use it. So I guess I better use it this year. It is not brained per say. However it was salted and then it was washed.

A few weeks ago I bought 5 freshly butchered back yard raised chickens, which I refrigerated for a day before I froze them. I will brine, and then roast an 8 pound chicken on Thursday.

i got the best one of all. FREE. it is a young turkey about 12 pounds. don't know if it is injected or not. will have to check. gonna do a beer butt turkey with bacon. saw guy feri do on big bite. although he did to chicken , am sure it will work. just a bit different, and fun.

checked and it has been injected. i am not suppose to have much salt. oh well. :chef:

Salt

I have brined and not brined and can't say I can tell any difference when baking/roasting a turkey. I think if you roast with plenty of moisture, your turkey isn't going to be dry anyway. I suspect if you were going to smoke a turkey (cook low, slow and LONG) then every bit of moisture you can get in the turkey would count.

Someone posted about salt drawing moisture out---- salt draws moisture to it. That is if you put salt water inside the meat, it will draw more water to it. That's why brining works... But for the typical 3-4 hour turkey roast, I'm a big fan of 1) stuffing my turkey with pieces of fresh onion, celery, apple, garlic, carrot & parsnips, (and putting more around and under my bird) and 2) cooking it covered for roughly 2/3 of the cooking time... Plenty of moisture every time.

Oh, and I'll vote for a fresh bird over frozen every time.

A few weeks ago I bought 5 freshly butchered back yard raised chickens, which I refrigerated for a day before I froze them. I will brine, and then roast an 8 pound chicken on Thursday.

How I would love to have some fresh back yard chickens Beth!! One of my best childhood memories is my Grandma's roast chicken from her yard. I've never had anything like it since. WOW........an 8 lb. roast chicken sounds wonderful !

Back
Top Bottom