What was Your Favorite Pizza Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My Dad used to purchase the Chef Boyardee Pepperoni Pizza kits when I was a boy. You got the ingredients to make dough, a can of sauce, with pepperoni bits mixed in, and a can of grated parmesan cheese. I loved them. Of course we doctored them with more pepperoni, green pepper, black olives, and sliced onion.

As a teen, at a best friend's house, we'd go to a nearby store and get the Apian Way Pizza kits, and just bake them up to go with our epic games of cards, or Monopoly. We devoured them.

I tried both brands, just for old time's sake, and wondered how we enjoyed them so much. They just weren't very tasty.

Do you have a favorite pizza kit, or tasty snack treat.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Heh. I'm the oldest of three. I remember making the Kraft spaghetti kit for a snack for my sister and brother and me - it came with a sleeve of dry spaghetti, a can of sauce and an envelope of grated Parmesan cheese. We loved it [emoji38]

I'm older than dirt. When I was a kid, we didn't use any cooking kits, at least not at my house and I never heard friends mention them. The closest thing to a kit was probably the box of Bisquick and salad dressing kits. There was a glass cruet with markings for oil, vinegar, and water. There was a packet of seasoning. Put liquid ingredients into the cruet to the appropriate marking. Add the seasoning packet, put the lid on the cruet and shake it well. Came in a number of flavours and the packets were also sold individually. My mum had several of the cruets. Both the Bisquick and the salad dressing kits were quite good, so I guess those are my favourites.

I'm older than dirt. When I was a kid, we didn't use any cooking kits, at least not at my house and I never heard friends mention them. The closest thing to a kit was probably the box of Bisquick and salad dressing kits. There was a glass cruet with markings for oil, vinegar, and water. There was a packet of seasoning. Put liquid ingredients into the cruet to the appropriate marking. Add the seasoning packet, put the lid on the cruet and shake it well. Came in a number of flavours and the packets were also sold individually. My mum had several of the cruets. Both the Bisquick and the salad dressing kits were quite good, so I guess those are my favourites.
Good Seasons Dressing Mix! Still my favorite general purpose dressing, except that now I use red wine vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar.

Good Seasons Dressing Mix! Still my favorite general purpose dressing, except that now I use red wine vinegar instead of distilled white vinegar.

I do believe that was the name. Do they still make the packets? Do you know if they still sell the cruets?

Yes, that was good salad dressing and there was a good choice of flavours. We usually had several going at the same time.

I do something similar with a cruet from Oxo. 3/4 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup good vinegar, 1 tablespoon or so Dijon, and 1 Tblsp or so of dry herbs. The Oxo cruet has cup and ml markings on the side. All dry herbs and powdered garlic, so it will keep in the fridge for a long time.

Being Sicilian and coming from Niagara Falls, with a population that was 75% Italian or Sicilian, with a pizza joint on every corner and Italian restaurants up the wazoo, we would be embarrassed to buy any of that junk. One phone call had any of that stuff, prepared from scratch by Italian cooks, delivered right to your door, any time day or night.

Last edited:
I do something similar with a cruet from Oxo. 3/4 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup good vinegar, 1 tablespoon or so Dijon, and 1 Tblsp or so of dry herbs.

Good vinegar? Who are you, Ina Garten? I used to love hearing her say to use "good olive oil". Who in the hell would buy bad olive oil? Oh, and vinegar is already bad, that's why it turned to vinegar!

The Oxo cruet has cup and ml markings on the side.
But only in Canada! ;)

Last edited:
Being Sicilian and coming from Niagara Falls, with a population that was 75% Italian or Sicilian, with a pizza joint on every corner and Italian restaurants up the wazoo, we would be embarrassed to buy any of that junk. One phone call had any of that stuff, prepared from scratch by Italian cooks, delivered right to your door, any time day or night.
Bully for you :rolleyes:

I do believe that was the name. Do they still make the packets? Do you know if they still sell the cruets?

Yes, that was good salad dressing and there was a good choice of flavours. We usually had several going at the same time.

I do something similar with a cruet from Oxo. 3/4 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup good vinegar, 1 tablespoon or so Dijon, and 1 Tblsp or so of dry herbs. The Oxo cruet has cup and ml markings on the side. All dry herbs and powdered garlic, so it will keep in the fridge for a long time.
They do still make the packets, and they sell the cruets. I have two. I'm going to try to remember to add some of my homemade grainy Dijon-style mustard to it, to help it emulsify - that's a good idea.

They do still make the packets, and they sell the cruets. I have two. I'm going to try to remember to add some of my homemade grainy Dijon-style mustard to it, to help it emulsify - that's a good idea.

With the Dijon, it will still need to be shaken the next time you use it. But, it does emulsify well enough that it sticks to the salad ingredients well.

I have never, in my entire 69 years, bought anything like a "pizza kit", and I would never dream of doing so.
Making a pizza is so, so, so easy - why on earth would anyone need a "kit"??

I have never, in my entire 69 years, bought anything like a "pizza kit", and I would never dream of doing so.
Making a pizza is so, so, so easy - why on earth would anyone need a "kit"??

I would imagine that there may be many reasons some would take shortcuts in their cooking preferences.

Aging, physical difficulties, etc.

While, @82, I no longer cook everything from scratch, I find that the shortcuts I now make still present us with a good tasting, mostly nutritious meal.

I miss the days I would spend a lot of time planning, shopping, prepping and cooking a meal which just might bring raves from family and guests.

While I can no longer devote that much time to a procedure I love, I salute those who can and do so. I'd never think to look down on those who, for whatever reason, prepare their meals in a less ardent manner. :)

Ross

I used to eat the Chef Boyardee Pepperoni Pizza kits as a kid and thought they were good. Not sure how I would feel about them today. Never really tried any other pizza kits. Being from PA, we had a local pizza company called Nardone pizza. It really was nothing special, it sold in the Fresh meat department of the grocery store but for some reason I loved it. ��

I still do get a craving for that cheap boxed Kraft Mac and Cheese. lol

Last edited:
I would imagine that there may be many reasons some would take shortcuts in their cooking preferences.

While, @82, I no longer cook everything from scratch, I find that the shortcuts I now make still present us with a good tasting, mostly nutritious meal.

I miss the days I would spend a lot of time planning, shopping, prepping and cooking a meal which just might bring raves from family and guests.

While I can no longer devote that much time to a procedure I love, I salute those who can and do so. I'd never think to look down on those who, for whatever reason, prepare their meals in a less ardent manner. [emoji2]

Ross
Ditto. And we need to remember that not everyone enjoys cooking, so shortcuts can be helpful for them.

While I can no longer devote that much time to a procedure I love, I salute those who can and do so. I'd never think to look down on those who, for whatever reason, prepare their meals in a less ardent manner. :)

Ross

I hear you, Ross - and if you thought I was looking down on those who look for short cuts; absolutely, under no circumstances. I may be there in the future, so no way.
However, wouldn´t it be easier to simply order in? I mean, it might be double the price, but $4.25 to $8.50 is not really such a big deal.

Way back in 1973, we had no Dominoes. Pizza Hut, hungry Howie's, or any other franchise pizza available in my home town. There were three places that made pizza, and they didn't deliver. When you're 16 years old, on game night with friends, there wasn't time to make a pizza from scratch.. If we wanted pizza, living out in the sticks as we did, kits were our only option, that or a heated up can of condensed soup.

All three pizza places made thin crust, New York style pizza, and did a great job with them. My cousin worked as a teen at one of the places. One day, he purchased an 8 inch pizza to snack on as he worked. To make it easier to eat, he folded the raw crust in half around the toppings, crimped the edges, and put it into the oven until the crust was cooked through. The owner saw it and demanded to know what my cousin was thinking. Some customers saw the creation and asked if the same thing could be made for them . They became wildly popular, and the pizza pasty was born. To this day. it is still a favorite in my home town.

I've made them at home for visiting friends. They were amazed and delighted with them, so juicy, and full of flavor. But I digress from the original topic question.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hear you, Ross - and if you thought I was looking down on those who look for short cuts; absolutely, under no circumstances. I may be there in the future, so no way.
However, wouldn´t it be easier to simply order in? I mean, it might be double the price, but $4.25 to $8.50 is not really such a big deal.

I, certainly don't want to delve too deeply into this but, for a person on a low, fixed income, the $4.50 vs $8.50 example may not really work.

I'm assuming that your thought is, the $8.50 meal might be more nutritious or better quality and easier. That may well be correct but, I do know people to whom 2 $4.50, less quality, less nutritious meals stretch the budget further than the suggested $8.50 single order in meal.

Again, it all comes down to personal circumstances, preferences, abilities, etc.

Ross

Is this supposed to be in U.S. dollars? Because the local pizza place we prefer to order from (we sometimes order pizza when I'm not up to cooking) costs at least three times that much.

When I was first living on my own, I watched the sales and bought some of the kits, especially the Kraft Spaghetti kit, when they were on sale. I remember that spaghetti kit well. A good sale price was 34 cents and I could get 2 meals out of it. Made paying rent possible! ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom