Saturday, December 9, 2023, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Saw a product at Target, tomato, garlic, fresh basil, calabrian chili paste so I got some. Mixed it with a bit of vodka and honey and used it as a base on a flatbread pizza. Mozzarella and ParmR cheese, caramelized onions, pepperoni and Italian sausage. They came out pretty darn good. I'll add some fresh basil or maybe arugula next time.
20231209_181805.jpg

We ordered Greek food and figured out how to get something really good with no leftovers. I ordered a loukaniko platter: grilled loukaniko sausage, garlic-lemon roast potatoes, and a psilokomeni salad. I shared that with DH and had an extra "pork souvlaki stick". DH also had a chicken gyro pita. All of it very tasty. I bit into one of the pieces of souvlaki on my stick and I was blown away by how tasty it was. The meat was delicious and succulent and the seasoning was amazing. I have had lots of delicious souvlaki, but this one was extra good. The whole meal was very enjoyable.

I made the last kit meal of the week, Fast Thai Steak Salad with cucumbers and Jasmine rice. It was very tasty, DH says it was "fun". I've had better steak. The recipe called for pan frying the steak, but if I were to do this meal again, I would do the meat on the BBQ, I think. But, it was quick and easy too!

I've never made Indian food but attempted to do so! "Easy" tandoori chicken where I used a smoked paprika rather than grilling the chicken over charcoal. I made Gobi aloo (potatoes with cauliflower.) It was tasty, but I really had wished for more sauce. I'm not sure how to get more sauce without diluting flavors. The chicken was delicious! Jasmine rice and mandarin oranges.

20231209_183234.jpg

I've never made Indian food but attempted to do so! "Easy" tandoori chicken where I used a smoked paprika rather than grilling the chicken over charcoal. I made Gobi aloo (potatoes with cauliflower.) It was tasty, but I really had wished for more sauce. I'm not sure how to get more sauce without diluting flavors. The chicken was delicious! Jasmine rice and mandarin oranges.

View attachment 67144
I think we will need to see your recipe to figure out how you could have more sauce without diluting the flavours.

We've been sick for the last several days so have been living off of toast and diet ginger ale.
(((Hugs))) god bedring (Danish for good bettering.)

Was the toast and ginger ale what would make you feel better or was it what you could manage to put together?

How is Flammkuchen different from pizza?
It's usually thinner, more of a flatbread than pizza dough, and it doesn't typically use tomatoes. It's got creme fraiche as a base sauce usually. It's also frequently topped with potatoes and cheese. It's much like a crossover between pizzas and pierogi or dumpling fillings.

The original recipe is here. I used 3/4 cup of water and about 1/3 cup of lemon juice. Other than that, I made it as written.
There is often tomato in gobi aloo. Maybe add some passata or tomato paste diluted with a little water? Or maybe you can get some ideas from this video. He grates the onion and some other stuff, which makes those things much wetter. At the end of the video he talks about making more "gravy" for the dish for people who want it saucier.

Last edited:
Toast and 'flat' Ginger Ale was always our go-to for bad tummies.

Dry toast was very neutral to sit in your tummy and of course, ginger to sooth the rest of whatever was or might be upsetting you. (especially if heaving was part of the problem)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom