What's For Dessert?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KGirl... The stand came in today.. Love it.. Thank you very much for directing me to it... :)

PERFECT! That's just perfect Ross, so glad that you like it and it's working out for you. I had purchased her "Timeless Beauty 10 inch" stand, but it's too small for a regulation sized Bundt cake, :ermm: go figure, so I had to return it and got the ole' faithful Anchor Hocking 12 inch cover cake stand, that doubles as a punch bowl...
Anchor Hocking 86475L13 Canton Cake Stand & Punch Bowl Set

I disagree. A lot of the presentation 'punch' has to do with the serving dish and
I prefer one layer cakes because I'm not an icing fan

Here are some things you might do to improve the visual ..

Make sure your platter has no outside lip - completely flat. This makes the cake look taller.

Find a nice cake platter (vintage shops are great for this) that has a little height. My favorite is this pressed 'depression glass" cake plate - they were popular up through the 60s and not very expensive- you can find them in a variety of colors and usually for around $10.00

View attachment 26577
Here's a single layer cake on that platter

View attachment 26578

I also find that a flat cake dish makes it so much easier to do the frosting right down to the bottom of the cake. Using the wax paper trick really helps making the presentation even prettier along with neater. But what I really want to purchase is a revolving cake dish for making the job even easier.

Little by little I am punching away at my wish list. Maybe this year.

I also find that a flat cake dish makes it so much easier to do the frosting right down to the bottom of the cake. Using the wax paper trick really helps making the presentation even prettier along with neater. But what I really want to purchase is a revolving cake dish for making the job even easier.

Little by little I am punching away at my wish list. Maybe this year.

I bought a really nice small revolving cake plate from World Market a couple of months ago.. Loved it but could not find a dome for it so, I got frustrated and returned it..

Ross

Tonight's dessert..Carrot cake for two... yum...

Attachments

• Carrot Cake For 2 001.jpg
    Carrot Cake For 2 001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 139
Tonight's dessert..Carrot cake for two... yum...

OMG, between those and the torte recipe I was just looking at, think I might throw my diet out the window!

When I had my pottery studio, we sold a table top "lazy susan". They were made from scrap pieces of counter tops and set on a stand about the height of your cake stand, JC. I think it is in the loft of the barn, I will try to find them and take pictures. Would be VERY easy for a handy man person to make.

JC, what size pans did you use for those little carrot cakes? 6"??

OMG, between those and the torte recipe I was just looking at, think I might throw my diet out the window!

When I had my pottery studio, we sold a table top "lazy susan". They were made from scrap pieces of counter tops and set on a stand about the height of your cake stand, JC. I think it is in the loft of the barn, I will try to find them and take pictures. Would be VERY easy for a handy man person to make.

JC, what size pans did you use for those little carrot cakes? 6"??

Unfortunately I got rid of my work shop when we sold the house.. but.. I told Jeannie about this and she said she has seen small, plastic lazy Susan's in Marshal's or someplace.. We will find one...

I baked those single size cakes in my 8oz ramekins... :)

Saturday:

Lemon curd mousse pie for the masses and peanut chocolate mouse cake for me.

Sunday: Mämmi for husband and brother with fullfat milk and sugar and for the rest my famous kladdkaka ( sticky chocolate cake) with whipped cream.

022.JPG

I made Carrot Cake for our "Easter Feaster" (that's what we've determined today is, given all of the wonderful food we made, both Vegetarian and Omnivore) with Mr&Mrs Dear Friends.
YUM YUM YUM!!!
This is THE MOST AMAZING moist-tender-flavorful-not-too-sweet-DELICIOUS cake I've ever made!!

*Note to self-DO NOT lose this recipe, EVER!!

View attachment 26588
[photo courtesy of Julie Noyas]
I had this cake stand that was my Great Grandmother's,
Fostoria American pattern.
Unfortunately it got broken and both my Mother and I CRIED!!!
I've always wanted to replace it, but the price is
a bit too rich for me.
I've seen it in many antique shops and even online
at Replacements.com, all about the same price.

There is something extra special when a beautiful cake is served from a cake dish that belonged to Mom, Grandma or any other family member. In the end, it doesn't matter if the cake is a considered failure, or the most beautiful cake you ever made. It is the memories you are indulging in. I recently broke a Weeping Willow cake dish that my sister gave to me before she passed. I loved serving a cake from it. Spike glued the piece back on, but now I am afraid to use it. So I will just have to leave it sitting where I can see it and just keep my memories for myself.

Pirate loves to bake. He wants me to get a new cake plate so it will pass on down to him. His favorite cake I make is the Hershey's Chocolate Christmas cake in my Bundt pan. I cover it with dyed green frosting and coconut and then make a royal frosting and make the holly leaves and berries.

I want to get two cake dishes. One without any lip at all for easier frosting. And then a beautiful one for serving.

I have the whole shebang for cake making. The cardboards for the bottom along with different size lace dollies.

I can understand why you cried. I would too. I went to that site. It doesn't cost to just look. I guess that is all you and I along with some other members can do.

Today was another, try this, try that, day.. I wanted small Boston Cream Pies.. The cake part is what had me confused.. I didn't want to make a full sized cake and didn't want cupcakes.. Seems those options were all I ran into.. I wanted individual cakes...um... ramekin size would be nice...

Thinking I'd get 4 ramekin sized cakes, I used a cupcake recipe which I thought would fill 4 ramekins... Wrong.. Only enough for two.. That's ok... well... made the cake, the filling and took, left-over chocolate frosting out of the freezer..

Put them together, went to move to cake plate and... dropped one upside down... Guess what we had for lunch?? Fun experiment and I'm encouraged for next time.. Learning to bake is fun.. :)

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 153
JC, did you observe the "5 second rule"? ;)

That's a mighty taste lookin' Boston Cream Pie there Ross!

Fortunately it fell only a couple of inches onto the board I was using.. or... I mighta done that... ;)

Thank you K-Girl... Its fine for a first try but, I need to use a better cake recipe.. That was not as light & moist as I prefer...

Ross

Find a five star sponge cake recipe. They are sometimes called hot milk cakes. They make the best Boston Cream Cakes.

Classic Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com
This is the sponge cake.

Hot Milk Cake Recipe - Food.com
This recipe is a hot milk cake.

Both cakes are five star. I prefer the Hot Milk Cake. It has more flavor and is very light.

You don't have to use a jam filling. And you can top it with your chocolate topping. The main thing is the cake.

Back
Top Bottom