What's for Dinner? December 25, 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
I made my tamales with all of the fixings! We will have an oreo ice box cake for dessert!

2022-12-25 15.37.15-1.jpg
2022-12-25 15.37.07.jpg

That looks really yummy, @Kathleen.

I was going to roast a masala marinated chicken. But, the chicken was huge. It wouldn't fit on my regular sheet pans or in my lasagna pans, if I spatchcocked it and I didn't want to deal with a chicken that hadn't been spatchcocked. I eventually found the roasting pan, the enamelled kind in blue, with speckles. It's big enough. It needs to be washed (just accumulated dust, etc.). By then I was pooped and I realized that I was also having the stupid. So, that will be for later this week.

We had the last of the samosas, the last of the puff pastry wrapped "sausages", and the second zitar, pita pizza. It was tasty and filled us up. I heated the samosas in the toaster oven and let DH heat the other items in the toaster oven. It was the kind of day when I am likely to burn myself.

Brown (and white) food do not photograph well, so I'll just show you what I put together for my pasta bowl:
IMG_2408.JPG

I highly recommend the combo of these two, both from Trader Joe's. I really liked the extra Mushrooms to bump it up to the next level.

IMG_1579.JPG

DH's Pasta bowl was the last of my handmade Cheese Ravs (12 of them) with a herd of (a baker's dozen to be precise) New Zealand Green Lip Mussels (shelled) all tossed with fresh sautéed Garlic and Kirkland brand Extra Virgin Olive Oil and grated Parmesan Cheese - I forgot the bread, but neither of us missed it to be honest.
<edit - I forgot to mention that once DH was finished with his Pasta Bowl, he said. "I could eat another one of those!"
Hmmm, or would you rather have an Ice Cream Sundae for dessert? :LOL:
Feliz Navidad!

Christmas dinner - the 2 of us and 2 friends.

Deconstructed Beef Wellington. All of the classic components, but stacked instead of rolled. When I do the whole 'roll' thing, it's way too much and we can't even get through all the leftovers, so I make individual stacks for each guest - no leftovers!

Filet mignons, sous vide to 125F, then seared. Mushroom/shallot/truffle/cognac duxelles. Seared slice of foie gras. A spoonful of bordelais sauce. Puff pastry 'hat' with a rosemary tree. Sides were peeled, sous vide
20221225_175253.jpg
asparagus and salt crusted baked potato.

Dessert was creme brulee.

Since I couldn't travel, it was just me for the 'official' Christmas dinner. We'll do the family Christmas dinner next week.

But, I still ate well. Flat-iron steak, sous vide and seared in butter and OO. Instant garlic mashed potatoes (I wasn't going to cook those from scratch for one portion). Steamed fresh broccoli with a drizzle of OO and some fresh cracked pepper.

XmadDinner22.jpg

CD

I made myself some Italian food yesterday. My friends, who have had me over for the last several holidays, had the lady's brother get a major cancer surgery on Monday, and someone in the brother's family got sick (though not covid), probably while in the hospital, so to be safe, I'm staying home. I did drop off 3 tins of cookies on their front porch, for them to enjoy! So far, nobody in their house has gotten sick.

I had taken out 2 lbs of ground venison from the freezer, to make some Chinese food originally, but decided to make Italian, to use up a bunch of the bell peppers, and the half pound of mushrooms I had in the fridge.

I looked in a favorite Italian CB of mine - The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian, originally because I knew he had some good sausage recipes in there, but also found two simple, but delicious, antipasti, one with red bell peppers, and the marinated mushrooms. The peppers, cut into large strips, are put in a sauté pan (in olive oil, of course!), with some sliced onion, and minced garlic, and cooked on medium, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Then some white wine, tomato paste, and some pepper flakes are mixed in, and cooked another 5 minutes, and that's it! The mushrooms are even easier, and were finished while the peppers were cooking! It is much like the mushrooms a la grecque, that I used to make a lot, but less complex, and no lemon juice. The seasonings are mixed up in a bowl - olive oil, white wine vinegar, parsley, garlic, and oregano, with salt and pepper to taste. The halved mushrooms are simply boiled 2 minutes, drained well, and mixed in while hot - sort of cooking the garlic a little.

The pasta dish I made was a tomato sauce, started with the sausage, which I cooked and set aside, using about 1¼ lbs of it in the sauce. I also rehydrated some eggplant and summer squash - originally meant for Chinese, but good in Italian, too! I started with sautéeing the diced onions and peppers, then the eggplant and squash, adding a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, about 1/4 c chopped anchovies, and about 2 tb fish sauce (end of the bottle). I added some thyme and marjoram (a bunch of parsley and rosemary is in the sausage), and simmered about 15 minutes, while getting the pasta ready. Added the sausage, to cook another 5 minutes or so, after the 20 oz pasta had been cooking a few minutes. After mixing the pasta in, and serving some up, I grated on a little Asiago cheese, to top it off.
Starting the simple bell pepper antipasti by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pepper antipasti by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushroom antipasti, much like mushrooms a la grecque. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Starting the pasta sauce, with onions, garlic, peppers, and rehydrated eggplant and squash. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pasta sauce, after adding a can of crushed tomatoes, and a generous amount of anchovies, chopped up, before simmering 15 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Pasta sauce, after adding about 1 1/4 lbs cooked venison Italian sausage, and cooking about 5 minutes, while cooking pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pasta, after adding 20 oz of spirals, cooked. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Italian style dinner, with a lot of leftovers! Didn't make a dent in the pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Guess what I had for dessert? COOKIES! All I had really was two of those macaroons (I have been very good about staying away from those!), and one each of the snickerdoodles. And some of the Formosa Oolong tea, out of my freezer - I rarely treat myself to this.

And guess what I had for breakfast today?
PASTA!

I spent a couple of days with my cousins who just moved down here from Michigan. They didn't want me to be alone during the holidays.

We had a Smithfield spiral-sliced ham with honey glaze, collards, red potatoes, sweet peas, and corn muffins. Homemade cherry cheesecake for dessert.

We took dinner to my mom's house about two hours drive west of us. I made Lebanese kofta seasoned with Baharat, , green beans braised in tomatoes with onion, garlic and Penzeys Fox Point seasoning and topped with feta, homemade flatbread and rice & orzo pilaf. I made a chocolate Swiss roll for dessert - this one didn't break! ?
20221225_154457.jpg

20221225_162257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom