What's for dinner on Wednesday? (1st November '23)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
I made Toad in the Hole. Recipes vary of course, but I used what I had, which was pork sausages, chestnut mushrooms, chunks of red pepper, spring onion in fat slices as the base and a standard batter with the addition of some dried italian herbs. Came out surprisingly well! (Served with some green beans).

I made Toad in the Hole. Recipes vary of course, but I used what I had, which was pork sausages, chestnut mushrooms, chunks of red pepper, spring onion in fat slices as the base and a standard batter with the addition of some dried italian herbs. Came out surprisingly well! (Served with some green beans).
I have never made or had Toad in the Hole. What is a standard batter like for that?

Hmmmmm...I spent some time today working on my hydro gardens. Things are getting big, so I wanted to do some trimming and some moving around of plants too. Started up a couple more gardens to give me the necessary room...and I'm making a batch of dog food...so, dinner for us may end up being meatloaf sandwiches...not a bad thing those! :unsure:

Greek marinated grilled chicken, roasted potatoes, tzatziki, and a watermelon/cucumber salad.

20231101_182519.jpg

I tried two new-to-me recipes and a new pasta cooking technique. The main dish is a keeper, the cabbage dish, not so much. I tried Chef John's Spanish Chorizo Stuffed Chicken Breast. Oh my goodness, that was delicious and the sauce was great. I served it with "wilted cabbage", and spelt fusilli with pesto. The cabbage was interesting and seemed tasty at first. About half way through it was, "I don't think I would want this too often." By the time we were nearly done, it was, "Let's not have that again."

Iberian chorizo stuffed chicken breasts, pasta with pesto, and wilted cabbage 2.jpg
Iberian chorizo stuffed chicken breasts, pasta with pesto, and wilted cabbage.jpg

And here's a link to the recipe:

I tried two new-to-me recipes and a new pasta cooking technique. The main dish is a keeper, the cabbage dish, not so much. I tried Chef John's Spanish Chorizo Stuffed Chicken Breast. Oh my goodness, that was delicious and the sauce was great. I served it with "wilted cabbage", and spelt fusilli with pesto. The cabbage was interesting and seemed tasty at first. About half way through it was, "I don't think I would want this too often." By the time we were nearly done, it was, "Let's not have that again."

View attachment 66692View attachment 66693

And here's a link to the recipe:

Looks wonderful. Chicken sounds like “Hasselback” chicken. LOL

How did you wilt/cook the cabbage taxy? I have a small section of cabbage left and I need to cook it up. Any suggestions on what NOT to do?

I have never made or had Toad in the Hole. What is a standard batter like for that?
Hi Taxy. The recipe I used was:

Put 100gm plain flour in a bowl and add two eggs.
Gradually add half a pint of milk and whisk
Season with S&P (and at this point I also added a small amount of mixed Italian herbs but that was just my personal choice).

Then I put it in the fridge to keep cold while the oil is getting very hot in the roasting dish.

We made pizza. We start with frozen pizza shells (GF) and then add our own toppings. Mine was Italian sausage and mushroom, TB's was 1/2 Hawaiian and 1/2 sausage and pepperoni!

How did you wilt/cook the cabbage taxy? I have a small section of cabbage left and I need to cook it up. Any suggestions on what NOT to do?
I followed the instructions in a recipe from the Washington Post. It said to sauté it for 4-5 minutes over medium high heat. I was careful, as directed, that it still had a bit of crunch. It lost that bit of cruch after I stirred in the yogourt and lemon juice. Maybe it lost more crunch after it was served. Now that I think about it, it probably kept on cooking for quite a while, even in the serving dish. That would explain why it was interesting at first and just got worse and worse.

Be very, very careful not to overcook it. I have sautéed sliced cabbage before and find it best when it still has a bit of crunch. This was wilted, which was overcooked to my taste, especially with the creaminess of the yogourt that got stirred in at the end.

Have you tried LuckyTrim's "skillet cabbage"? It was good. I'll have to make it again.

Last edited:
I often used to make my BIL's Cabbage and Onion.. It's great, very simple and tasty.
Barely soften slices of onion in a pan, add large chunks of cabbage, a very small amount of water, pop the lid on over low heat. By the time the water boils away the cabbage is softened/steamed. Spice it up with your choice.

Had some round bottomed pots, which I have since sadly given away, were perfect for this.

and you should throw a chunk of butter in just at the end as well.

I often used to make my BIL's Cabbage and Onion.. It's great, very simple and tasty.
Barely soften slices of onion in a pan, add large chunks of cabbage, a very small amount of water, pop the lid on over low heat. By the time the water boils away the cabbage is softened/steamed. Spice it up with your choice.

Had some round bottomed pots, which I have since sadly given away, were perfect for this.

and you should throw a chunk of butter in just at the end as well.
Maybe some bacon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom