What's in the Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy cow! Beautiful......! :yum:
Those were from Monday. Yesterday's baskets had even more stuff...the corn is just about ready (round 1--we plant 3 different varieties) to start freezing. I was thinking of counting how many stalks are in each row...I'm guessing there are around 100 since we plant approx. 8-12 inches apart...the rows are 100 ft, there are 6 rows. Almost every other stalk has 2 ears...so, we might have over 600 ears of corn...that is a LOT of corn to pick and process.

Can you grid it up for them? At least it will help cut down on your feed bill. :ermm:
We chop the cobs into quarters and they run around with a chunk of it playing keep-away from each other (or maybe it is a very complex chicken olympic sport for which they are practicing), but we might end up drying it for them and then grinding it....or crushing it. We'll see. I am somewhat
:pig:-gy about fresh-fresh-fresh sweet corn.

Last edited:
CW, I read once that the pioneers would shuck the kernels on the cob and let it dry for feed for the animals. For home use, they left the corn on the cob until it dried and then rehydrated it for eating. It is one of those stupid facts that clutter up your brain and you think you will never need it. I am guessing that the dried corn kept better.

That's what we did last year--shucked it and dried it for the girls (although we didn't have much--they really like the sweet corn as a treat). Don't forget, we have sunflowers planted for them. I'll be tieing nets over those to catch the seeds--or maybe I'll just toss a flower head down and let them have a free-for-all.

That's what we did last year--shucked it and dried it for the girls (although we didn't have much--they really like the sweet corn as a treat). Don't forget, we have sunflowers planted for them. I'll be tieing nets over those to catch the seeds--or maybe I'll just toss a flower head down and let them have a free-for-all.

Go slow with the sunflower seeds. They are loaded with oil and you will have a lot of liquid poo all over the place. I had a parrot once and sunflower seeds were a treat for that reason. I used to fill up the feeder. What a mistake that was. I am a quick learner.

I'm so disappointed. I sliced up a beautiful cuke for dipping in Ranch, cut off and discarded both ends, took a bite and it was disgustingly, inedibly bitter. Even the center was horrid. I'd had some cukes where the ends were bitter, but nothing like this. Did some research, it could be due to the temperature fluctuations or inconsistent watering. I've kept up with the watering, but not a lot I can do about the temps. The cukes are coming on fast and furious, hope the others aren't this nasty!

I'm so disappointed. I sliced up a beautiful cuke for dipping in Ranch, cut off and discarded both ends, took a bite and it was disgustingly, inedibly bitter. Even the center was horrid. I'd had some cukes where the ends were bitter, but nothing like this. Did some research, it could be due to the temperature fluctuations or inconsistent watering. I've kept up with the watering, but not a lot I can do about the temps. The cukes are coming on fast and furious, hope the others aren't this nasty!
Bummer

Many years ago someone told me that if you rub the ends with the cut off end it helps to remove the bitterness. I have no idea if it is true or not. But I just do it out of habit by now. I am not even sure I believe it. Sounds dumb to me. Just one of those old wives tales. :huh:

Addie said:
Many years ago someone told me that if you rub the ends with the cut off end it helps to remove the bitterness. I have no idea if it is true or not. But I just do it out of habit by now. I am not even sure I believe it. Sounds dumb to me. Just one of those old wives tales. :huh:

That's funny, Addie, that was one of the recs on one of the sites I looked at! They also called it an old wive's tale.

Hello, all!! I think the hot dry weather this year causes cukes to be more bitter, even tho we water them. We had some bitter ones, but it seems the smaller ones are better tasting.
The plants even look yellowed now; we did plant more, and hopefully with the cooler weather now, they will be a bit sweeter.

I had better luck with the burpless ones, but this year only planted straight 8's.

Back
Top Bottom