What's on top of your fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
We've had fun in the past about what's inside your fridge, but now I want to know what's on top?

Mine has a rooster wine rack...empty right now
a 3 qt. dutch oven..teal
a 6 qt. dutch oven..red
back scratcher
fly swatter
dust

I only have a liner of waxed paper, K-L.

I read somewhere a whiles back, to line the tops of your kitchen cabinets with waxed paper and I figured, well that premise should work on top of `fridge too and yes, why yes it does. :LOL:

Periodically, I change out the paper for fresh, no cumbersome cleaning at the top of ladder for this vertically challenged gal, thanks.
All of the dust and grease is easily crumpled up into the paper and into the trash it goes.

Last edited:
A box with printed recipes..
Loaf of bread..
Small vase w/artificial flowers for a bit of color..

and yes.. a bit of dust, which we wipe off weekly..

Ross

My Flame LeCruset French oven and red Staub. Limited storage space in the kitchen and these two are the best looking to be out in the open.

A Watt pottery bowl, Apple pattern, vintage. It has a small crack in the bottom and is not intended as a serving bowl.

A loaf of bread.

If there is dust, only the cat would know, and she's not telling as she's not supposed to be on top of the fridge

Attachments

• watt pottery Apple.jpg
    watt pottery Apple.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 104
I hate stuff on top of the fridge...at my now-Dad's house, the top of the fridge is where he keeps his numerous caps, mittens, and ear-protectors. Yes, there is plenty of closet space. Yes, there is an empty drawer for hats, mittens, etc., in the front entrance. No, he won't put these things away.

I only have a liner of waxed paper, K-L.

I read somewhere a whiles back, to line the tops of your kitchen cabinets with waxed paper and I figured, well that premise should work on top of `fridge too and yes, why yes it does. :LOL:

Periodically, I change out the paper for fresh, no cumbersome cleaning at the top of ladder for this vertically challenged gal, thanks.
All of the dust and grease is easily crumpled up into the paper and into the trash it goes.
I always had cabinets that went to the ceiling, but at my now-Dad's house, there is about 1 ft. between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling--to display treasures, of course. I have used the waxed paper trick for years. I still have to wipe / wash the treasures, something I have been doing every 3-4 months since (a) no one is tall enough to see the grime, and (b) my brother used to do this when he visited. I have an aversion to knick-knacks and "treasures" displayed on open shelves. I prefer to have all mine behind glass.

Interesting comments about the tops of cabinets. In the early '70s when I had a kitchen that had about a foot of space above the cabinets, I cut about 12 layers of newspaper and then, once a month I removed a layer. Easy peasy.

As for what's on top of our refrigerator, there's only a huge English mixing bowl, some cooling racks, a few pot holders and our sacred biscuit pan.

What's on top of my fridge? All of my pot holders and oven mitts, my trivets, a container of toothpicks, and small basket that holds markers (for labelling food containers) and pencils (for making notes on recipes). I'm sure there is dust too, near the back, under the cupboard, where I seldom look. Oh, and I think there is an apron up there too.

Dust; a wicker basket with cans of pop and dust; an antique mixing bowl of my great aunt's, filled with her and my Mom's old kitchen tools...and dust; and my Mom's old sugar sifter. That's probably dust on it, but let's just say it's sugar.

We have a very tall refrigerator. As long as no NBA player shows up, I'm golden. ;)

Nothing but the dust.
My fridge just barely clears the cabinet by about an inch. It's really not usable space.

A couple of fly swatters, a can of air freshener, and right now a large box of cereal that doesn't fit into the cabinets. Doesn't anyone else keep big boxes on cereal on the fridge? :LOL:

A Watt pottery bowl, Apple pattern, vintage. It has a small crack in the bottom and is not intended as a serving bowl.

A loaf of bread.

If there is dust, only the cat would know, and she's not telling as she's not supposed to be on top of the fridge

I LOVE that bowl!

A couple of fly swatters, a can of air freshener, and right now a large box of cereal that doesn't fit into the cabinets. Doesn't anyone else keep big boxes on cereal on the fridge? :LOL:

Not me. My fridge has a cupboard above it. There is about a 3" gap. The cupboard only covers part of the fridge, so I can put flat things on it. If I put anything bigger, the doors to the cupboard won't open.

We have a cupboard over the fridge, but the fridge is so high and juts out so very far that the cupboard is pretty useless. All I have in there are a few souvenir glasses from places we stopped on our honeymoon. :heart:

A Watt pottery bowl...
We have two of those, maybe a one quart and two quart?, on top of the cabinet over the fridge. They were my mom-in-law's, but I'm hanging onto them now.

Same here, CG....I keep very seldom used things in the cupboard above the fridge as it is so hard to get to.

When I moved here and renovated the kitchen had a horrible time explaining I did NOT want a cupboard above the fridge. I used to babysit a lot of friends dogs and the top of the fridge was where the cats went for safe refuge. But all of the other cupboard had to go to the ceiling.

On the fridge I have also learned the trick of newspapers. WOW! I like the several layers and removing one every once in a while - gonna do that! Thanks!

November and December the top of the fridge is where I put the gingerbread houses as I make them. All 15 of them. Gets a little crowded up there.

At the moment there is an extra egg carton. Way, way at the back, up on a shelf there is the Ice Cream Maker, an antique weigh scale and another bag of which I have no idea what's inside. They are all in plastic bags - looks horrible but... too bad, so sad...

I do have another free standing cupboard which has my cookie tins on it, a small fan for moving the air around in the summer, a tall box of cereal, the clay baker and probably 10 generations of dust and creepies. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom