What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watched Jack Reacher yesterday. I liked that the fight seems we're not overplayed. Usually they keep going and a nearly dead person all of a sudden gets up and starts fighting again. This was fine. An OK movie to watch in between cooking and eating dinner without paying too much attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I also saw Prometheus and It's 40, I think that's what it was called. Both pretty dumb

We watched Lee Daniels' The Butler last night from our list of recorded movies.

I'm still impressed at what a wonderful job Forest Whitaker did of portraying Eugene Allen's amazing journey. I could relate to so much of the movie, especially the devastation of Washington, DC in the late '60s.

I moved there right in the middle of all the rioting and burning and, being a country girl, was horrified at what was transpiring.

At any rate, we were again impressed with Whitaker's skills and the fine way the movie folks aged him and treated a man's life and career with dignity.

Now, THAT was a movie!

We had borrowed two from the library over the weekend. First we watched "Woman in Gold", which I believe one of you just saw recently. It was a comment here that got me around to ordering it up from the library. Very interesting. Of course I cried at the end! Although I had never met my maternal grandfather (never had any true grandparents to know, since they all predeceased my birth by years...), the little soliloquy by Maria Altmann's dad about speaking English made me think of what my Mom would tell me about grandpa assimilating into his adopted home when he immigrated from Poland. *sniff*

The second one was "The Help". We had actually had that disc at home on two other occasions. Neither time was I able to bring myself to watch it, having gone through a box of tissues when I read the book. How can people treat others like that???? Anyway, when I picked it up this third time, the clerk at the desk assured me I would laugh more than cry. She was right, they had adjusted the film script enough to highlight some good and omit one or two of the more troubling segments.

We really enjoyed both of them. But enough of a movie break, probably, until the season changes from baseball to winter.

CG....I watched "The Help" at the theater when it first came out...hard to believe that people were treated like that in our lifetime. Wonderful acting - oh my gosh....I haven't read the book, though. It's really made an impression on me on how things used to be. :ermm::(
-----------------------------------------------------
I watched "The Right Stuff" a couple of nights ago. Great movie, IMO. I hadn't seen it since the mid 80's.

From Wiki...
The Right Stuff is a 1983 American epic drama film that was adapted from Tom Wolfe's best-selling 1979 book of the same name about the Navy, Marine and Air Force test pilots who were involved in aeronautical research at Edwards Air Force Base, California, as well as the seven military pilots who were selected to be the astronauts for Project Mercury, the first manned spaceflight by the United States. The Right Stuff stars Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Sam Shepard, Fred Ward, Dennis Quaid and Barbara Hershey. Levon Helm is the narrator in the introduction and elsewhere in the film, as well as having a co-starring role as Air Force test pilot Jack Ridley. In 2013 the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[3]

Last edited:
CG....I watched "The Help" at the theater when it first came out...hard to believe that people were treated like that in our lifetime. Wonderful acting - oh my gosh....I haven't read the book, though. It's really made an impression on me on how things used to be. :ermm::(
-----------------------------------------------------
I watched "The Right Stuff" a couple of nights ago. Great movie, IMO. I hadn't seen it since the mid 80's.

From Wiki...
The Right Stuff is a 1983 American epic drama film that was adapted from Tom Wolfe's best-selling 1979 book of the same name about the Navy, Marine and Air Force test pilots who were involved in aeronautical research at Edwards Air Force Base, California, as well as the seven military pilots who were selected to be the astronauts for Project Mercury, the first manned spaceflight by the United States. The Right Stuff stars Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Sam Shepard, Fred Ward, Dennis Quaid and Barbara Hershey. Levon Helm is the narrator in the introduction and elsewhere in the film, as well as having a co-starring role as Air Force test pilot Jack Ridley. In 2013 the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".[3]

I keep a running list of movies I want to see right next to the computer. Spike is right across the street from the library where he works part time. The Right Stuff just went on the list. That is quite a write-up from Wiki.

I did borrow the book "The Help" from a woman in the building. I never did get to finish it as she wanted it back in a hurry. No further comment on that! I know Pirate would not enjoy it on film, so I will have Spike pick up a copy of the book for me also so I can finish it. :angel:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I do pay attention to the recommendations of all of you when it comes to these movies. Thanks to all. :angel:

I just finished watching a terrific Helen Hunt movie... A Good Woman. Set in Amalfi Italy in the 30's. The story, acting, costuming, scenery were all stellar. I loved it!!
Free at prime Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDEQTK/ref=dv_web_wtls_list_ovl_wn_wnzw

On TCM the other night, I caught the 1960's movie "Oscar Wilde" starring Robert Morley based on a play about his scandal.

"A Good Women" is based on one of his plays. Hehe, it got only a 37% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but what do critics know?

Sometimes period piece movies just work on their own.

Last edited:
Watched "The Wolf of Wall Street" tonight on FX. A somewhat diluted version (it wasn't Cinemax) but I really enjoyed it. Leo DiCaprio was excellent. Not at all what I was expecting, sort of "Caligula"-like.

I just attended an earthquake seminar with with lectures by several FEMA people, a geologist, a fire captain and others. I found out that A) a large earthquake on the San Andreas fault can't produce a tidal wave like that, B) a large eathquake on the Cascadia fault won't produce a tidal wave here like that, but C) a 7.1 on the Seattle fault could cause a tidal wave coming into the Puget Sound 13 feet high.

Guess who lives a block from the water? I'm on the third floor, but as this is an old brick building and we were also told the library (half a block west) and the post office (a block north) would both be destroyed in an earthquake like that, I don't have a lot of high hopes for this building.

So to keep from thinking about that, naturally, I just finished watching Christine. Can you tell I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for movies?

When I lived in Tacoma, we always look to Mt. Rainier. That was more troublesome than any concern for an earthquake. In the summer you could see small whiffs of smoke coming out. Very unnerving. :angel:

Last night Glenn and I watched a fairly recent movie, for us, the 2015 film The 33.

It's the recounting of the experience the 33 Chilean miners had when they were trapped in a mine several thousand feet inside the earth.

One of the most compelling and powerful movies we've seen in a long, long while. Miraculously, after 69 days, they all reached the surface alive.

We highly recommend it, but make sure you have ample tissues available.

We saw Petes Dragon last week. Very cute. I liked it. Family film. There are very few of them made now days that are worth watching.
Also we saw Antropoid last night. Based on true story, I loved it, probably more for story than movie itself. But loved it nevertheless

We saw Petes Dragon last week. Very cute. I liked it. Family film. There are very few of them made now days that are worth watching.
Also we saw Antropoid last night. Based on true story, I loved it, probably more for story than movie itself. But loved it nevertheless

oh, you brought back OLD memories, Charlie, about Pete's Dragon...I loved that movie........perhaps why I liked the dragon in Shrek 1.........

We were watching some news segment on PBS a few weeks back, with David Brooks and Mark Shields bemoaning the fact that neither major political candidate is winning the public over swimmingly. Himself said to me "what this election needs is a Brewster". :huh: Brewster?

We watched "Brewster's Millions" a couple nights ago. Himself had seen it several times, this was my first time. Can you tell I'm not a big movie watcher? :LOL: We both laughed hard. It's funny, too, that he was finding T-shirts for sale that said "None of the Above". Funny, and sad. :(

We watched Avatar again on Saturday. We saw it in the theater when it first came out. Beautiful yet disturbing movie.

Jersey Boys. It is about The 4 Seasons. Not bad. interesting story and it was cool to hear all of the good songs they actually had over the decades....

You're right, Rock. Expected it to be kind of hokey. Not bad at all and we found ourselves either rockin' along with the music or tapping our feet. Kinda fun movie.

As has been evidenced by most of my past posts, we don't seem to view movies that are very current. Last night was definitely the definition of that.

Watched The Fugitive Kind, which was a...ready for this...a 1959 film with a very young, Marlon Brando and Joanne Woodward, among others. Black and white, of course, which did seem to add to the dismal nature of the story. It was a Tennessee Williams piece and, in spite of the age of the movie and the degree of film technology, it was darn good. Victory Jory was his typical sinister self.

We enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom