When making mashed potatoes what do you use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making mashed potato what do you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As I like them chunky, I use a masher. Also, after boiling the potatoes, I put them back in the hot pan for a while, before adding other ingredients, so it gets rid of some of the water.

And I prepare them in two different ways:
1. (for everyday meals) With milk, butter and a little parmesan.
2. (for special chubby occasions) With cream, looots of butter and grated gruyere cheese.

(anf, of course, salt and pepper, in any of the ways)

I don't think I have ever seen a thread this long on mashed potatoes :)
Me I usually hand mash them, I also like to add a little butter and chives to make a change. Also for me it is what you have with them, my favorite is good old bangers and mash (sausages :chef: )

I use either a masher or a mixer. My daughter and I like lumps in ours my son and husband doesen't so we have them one way one time and the other the next. My MIL mashes hers with a fork and you'd think she either used a masher or even a mixer sometimes. I don't know how she does it.

I like roasted garlid mashed potatoes, and others, but I can't have too much of it since I've been diagnosed with borderline diabetes.

But I might make some today to go wsith the beef stew I plan to make as well.

~Corey123.

I also boil the potatoes with the skins on, then cut them in half and put them through the ricer. I like not having to peel the potatoes first. The skin stays behind in the ricer.
We tried a side-by-side taste test on boiling with the skin on or peeling first and the vote was 100% in favor of boiling with the skins on.:rolleyes:

We like to leave the skin on and basically stir in the butter and milk with a fork. It's sort of like smashed potatos. Sometimes I will put some ranch dressing and/or garlic powder on them. And it has to be russets for this Idaho boy!

I always use a hand masher -- I like the consistency, which is a bit closer to baked. I find that mashed potatoes prepared with a mixer tend to be sticky and have less potato flavor.

Also, I usually just add some buttermilk and a little salt and pepper -- much more healthful than using gobs of butter, and the potato flavor is stronger.

Sometimes I add chopped scallions or chives, or even throw a clove or two of garlic in the water to cook with the potatoes, then mash it all together.

I use hand masher and add milk, butter and salt. Lately I have been boiling and mashing together with the potatoes, a little turnip and or cauliflower. Its good, try it. no problem.

oh man, dina, i love mashed cruciferous veggies and spuds.

i was raised on mashed turnips, both kinds at least once a week. (technically rutabegas and white and purple turnips)

buckytom said:
oh man, dina, i love mashed cruciferous veggies and spuds.

i was raised on mashed turnips, both kinds at least once a week. (technically rutabegas and white and purple turnips)

[I like mashed turnips, but find them a little strong tasting for frequent consumption. Anyway my daughter eats the mashed potatos and doesnt know there is turnip in there which is quite a feat.]

i mix a lot of stuff into mashed spuds to get my son to eat them. when he rejects his veggies like peas or broccoli, it gets mashed into the "mashed". :chef:
same goes for chicken, ham, fish sticks, and whatever else i can grind up.

the addition of a sharp or salty cheese to the potatoes helps, like cheddar or parmesan.

i've also found you can sneak stuff in pasta, like ziti or shells.

I use a masher. Before reading this thread, I didn't even know ricers existed and i wouldn't have thought of using a mixer. Lumps in mashed potatoes is what makes them taste authentic! if I want the smoother version, I use instant...

Back
Top Bottom