When making mashed potatoes what do you use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making mashed potato what do you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use a hand mixer everytime. I also do not like silky 'tatoes but not chunky either. With the hand mixer, I taste as I mash. A few chunks here and there, add some mik, butter, and maybe some sour cream, chives and bacon pieces and perfecto...great mashed 'tatoes! IMO

I run the potatoes through a ricer first.

They come out alread mashed, so there are no lumps. All that's left is to add the butter, milk and seasonings. White pepper is best because it doesn't show up as much in the mixture as much as black pepper would.

Last edited:
I have done it differant ways but still pull out my hand mixer for large amts. w/ plenty of butter, milk and sometimes sour cream. Yum, love em' !

Pook that sounds good adding chives and bacon bits I'll have to try that next time I do mash! I love this site you get some great ideas!

3 months short of a year and this thread about the humble dish of mashed potatoes is still going strong.

I love it. IMO, people are most passionate about the basics.

VeraBlue said:
After they boil, I drain the water and replace the pot to the flame. This effectively dries out all the remaining moisture. Then I add the softened butter and sour cream. I use a hand masher. Once all the butter is incorporated I slowly add warmed half and half or light cream. S&P to taste.
I do mine exactly as Vera does. Best way IMO. Then add other goodies as my whims dictate.

Well, after years of doing them the traditional way, I have discovered a newer, easier, fewer pots & pans way of making mashed potatoes. I bake the potatoes in the microwave, let cool a minute, remove skins, add the goodies and mash. Kim does the honors there, using an old fashioned potato masher.
He has the muscle to get them nice and fluffy that way...I'd have to use the hand mixer.
My Grandma White used a wooden mallet, and her mashed potatoes were creamy and fluffy as could be.

Always a hand masher. It's very therapeutic amongst other things!
Return the strained pots to the heat for a few seconds then mash with butter, or garlic, or wholegrain mustard, or horseradish, or herbs etc ...it depends what we are having them with.:)

ISO of Potato Ricer/Masher

Pook said:
I like the chunks, so I use a potato masher, dumping in milk, chives, bacon bits, garlic, butter, and tons of grated extra-sharp cheddar. Cheesy garlic taters LOL!
Sometimes I have substituted chicken broth for the milk, and that's tasty too.
Hugs,
Pook

Pook, may I get your mashed potato recipe? It sounds good and loaded.

So I'm looking for a potato masher or ricer. What do you cooks recommend? I prefer something a bit ergonomical or comfy to use and reasonably priced. Thanks.

And I forgot, what does IMO mean?

Last edited:
I have an old style ricer with i still find makes the best mashed potatoes. I will often put roast garlic in with the potatoes before i pass them thru the ricer as well. Depending on the potatoes one advantage of the ricer is that you can use it to remove skins from smaller potatoes that are challenging to peel like the "Buttercreams"...

Last time that I made mashed potatoes, I also made them with roasted garlic, which seems to really bring out the garlic intensity!

Last edited:
mash

If you get the potatoes cooked and dried properly it makes for easier mashing.No one seems to use mixers as they are used in mass catering. If you use the mincer attachment with the fine part in you get an electric ricer! You can lose some to the machine so is best when you make a lot. Mashed potatoe does keep in the fridge and is a very handy thing to have if you then make soups with it/thicken sauces.

h2oct said:
And I forgot, what does IMO mean?

In case no one has answered you, it means "in my opinion".

I reacently just purchased a KA stand mixer for very cheap and I use that now. I like to have some chunk to my taters so the stand mixer does great! I used to use a hand mixer before that but when I was living at home I always used a hand masher. Everyone always raved about them!!

IMO, potatoes can tend to get overmixed with a mixer, which could make them gooey like paste.

The masher and ricer helps prevent this from happening.

Back
Top Bottom