Where were you born?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire said:
OK, I'm procrastinating. I'm trying to write a column for the local paper, and I got side-tracked. I, personally, have jumped through many hoops because of my birthplace. For my entire professional life, I had to have security passes (post 9-11 these are common, but I've always lived with them). When I'd go to get a new one, I'd get, "What state?" None. "OK, what country?" USA. OK, what state? No state; Washington, D.C. Honest-to-the being, this was at the Pentagon. When I would say "Bolling Air Force Base, Washington, D.C.!!!!!" the response I'd get is that there is not a hospital there. I'd reply that I wasn't born yesterday, and there was one in 1955. I still occaisionally run into beaurocracy because I was born in the United States, but not in a state. I have a sister born in Germany and one in France. There are so many people from all over on this site. Where were you born?

I must be missing something Claire. You were born in the U.S. , so that means you were born in a state, whether it be a military base or whatever. Also, not every person is born in a hospital either, so I guess I dont understand why you had/have such a hassle with security.

Where am I from? Well, I trust being adults we all know how that works, and isn't appropriate discussion for the forum. :whistling :innocent: :ROFLMAO:

I was born in Framingham, Massachusetts. I transplanted to Minnesota for school in 1994, and pretty much have been here since, barring a somewhat extended departure or two.

Here's a chain to follow for DW and I:

I was born in MA, DW in Virginia, MN. I lived in MA all of my childhood. DW grew up in a WSW 'burb of Chicago. We met in CO. While I was in college, my folks moved to a WNW burb of Chicago, and the summer of 1996 I lived there (DW was not pleased with me at that point and wouldn't give me the time of day). I then moved back to MN (not for school). DW's father decided to retire to MN and since DW still lived at home, she came with. By then we had re-established civil relations, and the rest is, well, you can figure it out!

That's just one part of the amazing chain of events in DW and I getting married!

Boy I need to learn to lighten up a bit :LOL: I get too serious and literal :wacko:

Anyway, I was born in the smallest state in the U.S. .......Rhode Island. I've always lived on the east coast, with one exception, when I lived in Texas as a young girl.

amber, the US has many territories that are not states. DC is not a state. When I was born, Alaska was not yet a state. yup another '55 kid here!

I was born at Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego, California. I have it on good authority (my mom, who should know!) that the San Diego Chargers were indirectly responsible for my birthday being November 6th. Yep, it's true. How you ask? Simple. My mom's doctor was also the Chargers' team doctor. The Chargers were going on the road and the doctor wanted to go with them, so the day after her due date he induced labor. :cool:

Robo410 said:
amber, the US has many territories that are not states. DC is not a state. When I was born, Alaska was not yet a state. yup another '55 kid here!
It's funny--When I was born (1957) there were only 48 states. When my sister was born there were 49 states. She was born April 30, 1959, right between Alaska and Hawaii.

:) Barbara

It CAN be a small world, though. When we first bought our trailer and were embarking on our three years on the road, the first place we hit was Savannah, Georgia. There a man came to assist us in setting up for the first time. We invited him in for a drink. We assumed by his accent that he was a cracker (NOT, by the way, a derogatory term, referring to the early cattlemen in Florida, cracker refers to the crack a whip makes when rounding up livestock). So we asked. He laughed and said he was born in Dom Pere sur Blevy (I probably have that misspelled) -- He was born in the same hospital my sister was born in, outside of Paris, at about the same time! Quelle coincidence!

I'm a Bay Area brat by birth, but spent considerable formative years in the Midwest in the burbs of Chicago.

After that I became a bit of a gypsy and am now an established respectable matron in the Old Dominion.

Still feel like an interloper and wound't mind moving back to Sweet Home Chicago, except for the crappy commutes.

FraidKnot said:
I have a similar problem when people ask where I'm "from". Uh, do you mean where was I born or where do I live now? This is what happens when you're a military brat. :rolleyes: I was born in Oceanside, CA (Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital). I live in Tennessee. I'm not from anywhere!

Fraidy
I had to smile when I read this - I am also an Army brat - Was born in Buffalo New York - Then went to Hawaii when I was 2 months old - Then to various places - Went to 13 schools before I graduated - The longest time I ever lived in one place was 4 years - Still have the travel bug and have moved at least 50 times in my 45 years !!!!

born in Greenville, Kentucky....raised in Missouri....lived most of adult life in Indiana have now finally found my "home" in Salem, Oregon

I was born in Bulawayo, Rhodesia and spent the next years trailing behind my dad who worked for Rhodesia Railways as he changed jobs every few years and we moved with him.

Moved to England in 1980 and have stayed here since.

goboenomo said:
Is mopntreal a new city there?
How's the poutine there?
:P

Mopntreal sure is a city there, and Loprraine is one of the fipnest ciptizens you could meet!:)
Capnada could do with mopre like her.

Tprust me OK??:rolleyes:

Go Loppy...lol:ROFLMAO:

Yes, there are many people who are US citizens who aren't born in states. Believe it or not, the US has territories. Please correct me if my information is old (I haven't had to use some of these little gray cells for awhile), but in addition to DC not being a state, we have Guam, part of Samoa, Puerto Rico, and part of the Virgin Islands. Yes, all Americans!

Yes, I definitely differentiate between where I was born, and where I'm from. Like all the military brats and others who were born to the footloose, I'm from where I choose to be from.

Claire said:
Yes, I definitely differentiate between where I was born, and where I'm from. Like all the military brats and others who were born to the footloose, I'm from where I choose to be from.
I think a lot of us do that. Even though I was born in San Diego and lived there until I was almost 15 (with a 1 1/2 year move to Missouri when I was 8-10), I consider Vista (in North San Diego County) to be my hometown. It is where my daughter and grandkids, my dad, my sister, and my nephew live, and it is where I raised my daughter. It is home.

:) Barbara

I was born in Hildesheim, wich is a small town about 15miles south of Hannover.
My home is where my parents live, where I grew up, a village 8miles west of Hildesheim and 10miles south-west of the part of Hannover we live now.

Back
Top Bottom