Which is the first Italian cooking recipe you think of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simonaskitchen

Senior Cook
Hi to everybody! I just read some of your 'American typical recipes' and I wonder:
When you think about Italy, Tuscany and Italian cooking in general, which are the main cooking recipes that you think of? And, which are the recipes you'd like to learn cooking?

Thanx!:chef: Simona!

most of us here in the USA probably think of pasta of some type, perhaps a soup like minestrone, perhaps pizza. One of my favorites is Rabbit stew from Liguria, and capponata from Sicily.

I'd say Spaghetti. But what do I know, I'm Russian, oh, no wait, scratch that. I'm Ukrainian, oh, no wait scratch that one too. I'm Jewish, oh, no that is not a nationality, scratch that one too. I'm American. Neah, I, maybe, am a citizen, but not really an American, scratch that one too. ... Well I guess I'm a man without a land. :rolleyes:

Anyway the first time I ate Italian food, was back when I was in Italy and got invited to an Italian family for diner. We were treated to spaghetti. So that is why I think of it.

Anyway, tell us more about your self. How did pretty Italian girl got a name like Simona?

Mm, I like your site. The recipes 5-6-8, but cakes 22, that is my kind of cooking, or rather eating, personaly I do not like baking.

Spaghetti carbonara......which I cannot make as they do in an Iatalian restaurant, but oh it is wonderful to eat,..an absolute all time favourite.
Not one I make iften at home as DH isn't mad about pasta of any sort.:)

Ravioli...one of my favorite things! Unfortunately, all the old Italian grandmothers who used to make it around here are gone now.

Recalling my days and years before I arrived here, I think the first thing that came into my mind when I heard "something Italian" was anything to do with pasta.

Also I noticed even then that in many other countries they have the tendency to call anything that is cooked with tomato and cheese "Italian". I think it is a good thing that we can introduce the general public that there are so much more to it in "La cucina Italiana"...:)

:) That would be spaghetti with tomato meat sauce,my mother learned to make it in Naples,Italy in 1957 where I also happen to be born my father was in the military so he was stationed there and my mother a German.She always put a little of hot pepper in hers also.

Hi Simona,

I've been thinking about this since you began this post. I guess my favorite would have to be a family member's (Grandma Grillo from Sicily) lasagna.

What I'd like to learn to make is a delicious, authentic Tuscan soup. For this, tell me more.:)

Color me peculiar, but my particular interest is always *dough*

The first thing I wanted to learn is how to make (and bake!) a good pizza dough. With experimentation, I am satisfied with the pizzas that I can make at home.

The 2nd thing I wanted to learn is how to make a good pasta dough. Thanks to DC, I learned how to master this. Now, in my house, pasta is always homemade.

The 3rd thing I wanted to learn was how to make true Italian-style bread. This is a work in progress.

The 4th thing I wanted to learn was how to make true Italian-style tarts. Thanks to my Italian neighbor, I am in the process of being educated.

Katie E said:
Hi Simona,

I've been thinking about this since you began this post. I guess my favorite would have to be a family member's (Grandma Grillo from Sicily) lasagna.

What I'd like to learn to make is a delicious, authentic Tuscan soup. For this, tell me more.:)

Katie -- try this one

Lidia's Ribollita Recipe

Ribollita is a very delicious Tuscan soup! It means "reboiled" because you add bread to it and cook it again to incorporate the bread into the soup. Originally invented to make food stretch further.

I have tried many recipes but this one IMO is the closest to what ribollita actually tastes like in Tuscany. But then again, it's Lidia B's recipe:chef:

jennyema said:
Katie -- try this one

Lidia's Ribollita Recipe

Ribollita is a very delicious Tuscan soup! It means "reboiled" because you add bread to it and cook it again to incorporate the bread into the soup. Originally invented to make food stretch further.

I have tried many recipes but this one IMO is the closest to what ribollita actually tastes like in Tuscany. But then again, it's Lidia B's recipe:chef:

Thanks, Jen. The recipe sounds wonderful. Plus, I love Lidia Bastianich, so would trust the dish. Gee, guess I could use some of the N.Y. Times bread in it, too.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom