Who eats Hormels Spam? How do you prepare it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll never forget going to Austin, Minnesota. We toured the SPAM museum, then went for a drink, and got to talking to the locals. Mentioned that we'd lived in Hawaii off & on for 10 years. They were excited! "Do they REALLY eat SPAM there?" They thought it was propoganda sold to them as kids. Nope, folks; SPAM rules in Hawaii. Every time I see a "Hawaiian" pizza that features Canadian bacon (huh?) and pineapple, I'm astonished. Canadian bacon? Not as long as there's a can of SPAM in the universe. Another favorite was kabobs made with pineapple and chunks of SPAM. SPAM was a regular on almost every breakfast menu, even in some of the fancier restaurants. In fact, I don't like SPAM; however, this is a time-honored tradition. Haven't been back to Hawaii in awhile, and hope it hasn't changed!! Oh, heaven forbid .. not kidding here, even kinds of sushi made with ... you guessed it, SPAM.

MJ said:
Spam sushi... I would try that :!:

Its good.

SPAM SUSHI (HAND ROLL)

Spam strips, cooked Sato-Shayu style
Sushi rice
Nori (seaweed used to roll sushi)
Cucumber sticks
Radish sprouts
Takuwan strips (Japanese pickled radish)
Wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

SUSHI RICE:
Wash and cook 3 cups Calrose rice. While still hot, season with Vinegar Sauce, or use packaged sushi mix such as Sushi!-No-Ko.

VINEGAR SAUCE:
1/2 cup Japanese rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Cook until sugar dissolves. Cool. Sprinkle half of vinegar sauce over hot rice; mix gently. Add more vinegar sauce to taste. Or follow instuctions onpackage mix.

SATO-SHOYU STYLE:
Spam sliced or cubed.

SAUCE:
1/4 cup shoyu
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)

Bring sauce to a boil in a small pan. Add Spam, lower heat, and cook 2-3 minutes.

TO ASSEMBLE SUSHI:
Cut a sheet of nori in half. Place nori on your left hand; add a small amount of rice. Add Spam and all or some of the other ingredients. Wrap nori around the filling and toll from left to right.

My first job with the Forest Service was as a fire lookout. Since it was a long drive to a major store and my cold storage was limited I ate alot of Spam, potatoes, bread, beans, and other canned foods. While I was up there I craved milk the most. I really got tired of iced tea and water. But it was great fun. I would do that job again if they would pay me the same wages that I make now. Every once in awhile I get the chance when we have a lightning storm and we staff one of the normally unstaffed fire lookouts. I have seen some of Mother Nature's greatest fireworks.

SC 8)

I have not had Spam in a long time, but used to eat it as a teenager. I think I posted somewhere earlier about it. I got turned on to it because my grandpa ate it... he and I were very close. He didn't always have it fried though.. sometimes with a little mustard on a roll or bread.

Even though I do not like Spam, I ran across a recipe & thought I'd share it with all you Spam lovers. If you try it, let me know how you like it!

Tangy Spam Loaf
1 can Spam
1C. onion, grated
1 large potato, grated
2 carrots, grated
1 egg, well beaten
4Tbsp. ketchup
1Tbsp. mustard
1C. milk

With a fork, mash Spam until it's broken up with a consistency similar to ground beef. Mix in next 6 ingredients; knead with fingers to mix thfoughly. Mix in milk. Spread in greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour.

SierraCook said:
My first job with the Forest Service was as a fire lookout. Since it was a long drive to a major store and my cold storage was limited I ate alot of Spam, potatoes, bread, beans, and other canned foods. While I was up there I craved milk the most. I really got tired of iced tea and water. But it was great fun. I would do that job again if they would pay me the same wages that I make now. Every once in awhile I get the chance when we have a lightning storm and we staff one of the normally unstaffed fire lookouts. I have seen some of Mother Nature's greatest fireworks.

SC 8)

SC, I'm envious. Ever since I read Norman McLean's books I've wished I could have done that for at least one season.

mudbug said:
SierraCook said:

SC 8)

SC, I'm envious. Ever since I read Norman McLean's books I've wished I could have done that for at least one season.

Thanks, mudbug. I really do enjoy my job. It is something different from one day to the next. For example, today I worked with the archaeologist to protect a railroad grade and log skids from the steam donkey era of harvesting timber. The link below will take you to a picture of the first fire lookout that I ever worked on.

SC

http://www.sutterphoto.com/assign/lookout/buttes/buttes1b.jpg

My grandfather used it for spaghetti sauce. It was really delicious but we were always a bit reluctant to eat it because he teased us saying it was monkey meat. I still make it from time to time. :LOL:

balibar said:
My grandfather used it for spaghetti sauce. It was really delicious but we were always a bit reluctant to eat it because he teased us saying it was monkey meat. I still make it from time to time. :LOL:

balibar, that's great!!! i'm gonna steal that one to tell my son, lol... :LOL:

Spam Casserole

I take about 4 cups of cooked white rice, grate a can of spam, mix with a diced onion, 2 beaten eggs and about 2 cups of sharp chedder cheese with preffered seasonings. Put in buttered casserole dish and bake in 350 degree oven for about half hour. Take out of oven and let it rest. Its real tasty and even people who say they don't like spam love it.

mudbug said:
Gorgeous photo, SC. Please explain "steam donkey"

cshs07.jpg

The picture above is a steam donkey. John Dolbeer, a naval engineer, obtained a patent in 1882 for his logging engine patterned after a ships auxiliary engine called a "donkey". The donkey engine brought steam power to the forest to gradually replace the oxen, mules and horses to move the logs from the rugged terrain of the Sierra Nevada. The donkey engine could move itself through the forest by using its steam power and winch to skid the donkey to a new location.

SC

i love spam.....i make spam musubi's, spam fried rice, spam eggs and rice, spam and cabbage.... yummy

SierraCook said:
mudbug said:
Gorgeous photo, SC. Please explain "steam donkey"

cshs07.jpg

The picture above is a steam donkey. John Dolbeer, a naval engineer, obtained a patent in 1882 for his logging engine patterned after a ships auxiliary engine called a "donkey". The donkey engine brought steam power to the forest to gradually replace the oxen, mules and horses to move the logs from the rugged terrain of the Sierra Nevada. The donkey engine could move itself through the forest by using its steam power and winch to skid the donkey to a new location.

cool! thanks.

SC

Bang,

Here is a recipe for you for Spam. My mom used to cook this when I was a kid.

Spam Divan Bake

1 lb. broccoli florets
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1½ cups milk
1 – 12 oz. can Spam, sliced
4 cheese slices or 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Cook broccoli in a small amount of boiling salted water. Melt butter. Blend together flour, onion powder, and dry mustard. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stir until mixture thickens and boils. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Arrange broccoli in a single layer in buttered 12”x8” baking dish. Pour half of the sauce over broccoli. Overlap Spam sliced over the broccoli. Pour remaining sauce over the top. Bake at 425º for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly

Forgive the resurrection, but I KNOW Bang and others will be interested:

At this VERY MOMENT at the Texas State Fair in Dallas, a highly experienced panel of judges are deciding the winners of this year's National Best SPAM Recipe Competition! And we're not alone -- apparently every state fair has a similar quest! (The things you learn from public radio...!)

Here's a link to a 2004 Kids Chef winner from California, entitled "Sponge Bob SPAM Pops".....

http://www.statefairrecipes.com/public_pages/2004_recipes/SPAMPops.html

lol audeo, do you listen to npr too? i think we were twins seperated at birth. you somehow were sent out on a sailing ship i think...

have you ever seen the saturday night live take off of npr? my fav was when alec baldwin was on, as some guy named schwedde. he makes his famous chocolate covered "schwedde balls" for the holidays. it was hilarious...

Back
Top Bottom