Who here likes chitterlings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What Frank said...
I kinda like natural casings myself. In my eyes natural is usually better. Mom raised me on natural/organic/home grown (she had a green thumb, not me). She read many books by nutritionists. Shopped at farms and health food stores etc. She would call Carlton Fredericks and talk to him when he had his Nutrition radio talk show on WOR AM radio (NY/NJ area not sure if he was nation wide in the 60's. We also listened to Gene Shepard). I have never and probably never will try chitlins but that is my choice.

i guess i was just trying to make the point that if intestines used for sausage casings are hunky-dory with most folks, then why not give poor misunderstood chitlins a pass too....:)

Last edited:
i guess i was just trying to make the point that if intestines used for sausage casings are hunky-dory with most folks, then why not give poor misunderstood chitlins a pass too....:)
If you want to eat them that is your choice. There are many things I won't eat but I won't stop someone else from eating it. To each there own. My uncle was raised down south and he ate them along with many other things I don't want to think about. LOL He was one of 19 children during the depression.

Last edited:

I've never had the opportunity to have them. I'm not totally opposed but they don't particularly interest me either. I've watched Andrew Zimmern eat them in various forms but to me, casings are just a convenient way to package sausage meat.

I've never had the opportunity to have them. I'm not totally opposed but they don't particularly interest me either. I've watched Andrew Zimmern eat them in various forms but to me, casings are just a convenient way to package sausage meat.

I've tried them on two occasions. Not good or bad in any memorable way. I'm after what's inside the casing, not the wrapper. Any tiny particles of feces left in the casing has been sterilized anyway. We've probably all eaten some of it with what the FDA allows to be in foods. I assume you've all seen the lists of things by weight that are allowed to be in processed foods.

I have the stomach from hell anyway. I'm like a goat. I can eat anything, and probably have.

Most commercial sausage these days uses collagen casings, not intestine casings. though it isn't hard to find traditional cased sausage.

Smith's hot dogs uses lamb casing. It's what gives them their snap when you bite into them according to their website. Good stuff.

Vit, I have no problem eating natural casing, it's when it is the main feature or ingredient in the dish itself, plus the preparation of chitterlings, that would have me passing them by. Not to mention the smell mentioned in that show I saw them on. Smell is what kept me from eating cabbage as a kid, lol.
It's no big deal, not everyone eats the same foods, as the "plate" thread shows. There are many parts of the pig I would not eat.

Last edited:
whew, after all this vilifying and defending, i've plumb lost my enthusiasm for chitlins for the moment...somebody told me once that the tom petty song, i won't back down might have been written for me: "and i'll keep this world from draggin' me down/gonna stand my ground/and i won't back down." if i am that way--i can get a bit carried away at times, then know that i'm right now, right this minute, backing down....:)

Last edited:
whew, after all this vilifying and defending, i've plumb lost my enthusiasm for chitlins for the moment...somebody told me once that the tom petty song, i won't back down might have been written for me: "and i'll keep this world from draggin' me down/gonna stand my ground/and i won't back down." if i am that way--i can get a bit carried away at times, then know that i'm right now, right this minute, backing down....:)

Yikes! I didn't mean to dissuade you from trying them. You may love them. They just did nothing for me. Sorry if I caused you to give up without a try. Go for it. Only you will know your own feelings for them.

Hey, how can I talk? I can't pass up a piece of raw fish without eating it.:wacko:

Yikes! I didn't mean to dissuade you from trying them. You may love them. They just did nothing for me. Sorry if I caused you to give up without a try. Go for it. Only you will know your own feelings for them.

Hey, how can I talk? I can't pass up a piece of raw fish without eating it.:wacko:
EWWWWWWWWWWWW :LOL:

I'd give them a try if I had the chance, but I don't really feel like buying them and cooking them myself.

the few times i've had chitterlings, i've thoroughly enjoyed them! I'm not sure if i would remember how to make them again today though. Chitterlings smell godawful while they are cooking, and actually, smell pretty bad on your plate too. But i guess like with some good aged cheeses, once you make the trip to your mouth, you are richly rewarded for your efforts.:) I know it's holiday time and all, and here i am going on about chitterlings--sorry. But all the talk recently about headcheese and pickled pigs feet got me to craving some chitterlings. Does anybody have a recipe to share? I have never had them fried--only boiled. But i would be interested in any good chitterlings recipe, and i thank you in advance....:)

View attachment 12640

Last edited:
i would try them if given a chance. i think i'd like them braided and grilled, as i've seen on some travel cooking shows.
i guess a lot of this is about perspective. i saw a show once about how the inuit eat the digestive tract of seals that they hunt, containing poop and all.

since edible things are few and far between in perpetually icy climes, you must eat every bit of what fate affords you.

this includes seals, and what seals eat. since the latter is all fish, their poop is a concentrated fishy treat. lol.

i vuess you get past all of the snobbery when the other option is to starve or freeze to death.

so, with a little work, i say bring on the chitterlings.

and a lot of beer. :)

Only if they are stump slung, hand squeezed, creek run. and then fried ~~ Don't care for the "dumplings" ~~ Several pulls on a jug seem to make them taste better too.....

Enjoy

i would try them if given a chance. i think i'd like them braided and grilled, as i've seen on some travel cooking shows.
i guess a lot of this is about perspective. i saw a show once about how the inuit eat the digestive tract of seals that they hunt, containing poop and all.

since edible things are few and far between in perpetually icy climes, you must eat every bit of what fate affords you.

this includes seals, and what seals eat. since the latter is all fish, their poop is a concentrated fishy treat. lol.

i vuess you get past all of the snobbery when the other option is to starve or freeze to death.

so, with a little work, i say bring on the chitterlings.

and a lot of beer. :)

One of the things taught to survivalists is to NOT kill your self with food when you find some. Its not snobbery, its intelligent eating to not eat feces or stomach contents. It can kill you itself.

Poorly cleaned chitlin's can cause you to be very, very sick or die.

e coli is nothing to play with. Some people just don't wish to take that chance. To refer to them as snobs isn't a fair thing.

you're taking me out of context, tim.
i mentioned that it was a perspective thing, either eat something risky or die from starvation.

of course it's not snobbish if you have a choice of what to eat.

you're taking me out of context, tim.
i mentioned that it was a perspective thing, either eat something risky or die from starvation.

of course it's not snobbish if you have a choice of what to eat.

Sorry Tom, I didn't know any other way to take "i guess you get past all of the snobbery when..."

take it easy tim. it wasn't a personal attack, although you really seem to want to make it that.

i'll try again. there's no possibility of any kind of sobbery existing in any possible form if you must eat every part of an animal in order to survive -including the poop - in a frozen, desolate place.

i was making a point by juxtaposing the eating of poop versus a food snob simply for superlative value, not to accuse anyone.

take it easy tim. it wasn't a personal attack, although you really seem to want to make it that.

i'll try again. there's no possibility of any kind of sobbery existing in any possible form if you must eat every part of an animal in order to survive -including the poop - in a frozen, desolate place.

i was making a point by juxtaposing the eating of poop versus a food snob simply for superlative value, not to accuse anyone.

Thanks for the explanation, Tom. I really didn't understand how you meant the reference. Nothing personal man. I thought perhaps you were labeling one or more of the people in the discussion. My mistake. Sorry. I hate labels. It seems like so many people have to hang a label on everyone they meet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom