Who hoards food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy lots of Asian goods and the manufacture dates or use-by dates are often obscure or missing, and even mainstream goods can be obscure or confusingly coded. I like my date code system because it's easy to read (even without glasses) and unambiguous. I can always guarantee that I'll use the oldest item in my stock first, that's my goal and it's good enough for me.

I am a seasonal hoarder. In a bad winter, we can be snowed in for 3 or 4 days at a time, often back to back with limited stuff in the groceries, so I do load the house with stuff like extra milk in the freezer. I keep a basic supply of rice and beans in sufficient quantity to keep body and soul together for a couple of months, That stays in the freezer and gets pulled out in increments. I have never had a problem with them cooking up well, but it may be that I just use them up and replace them regularly. I keep an unopened unit of my staples in a separate pantry, shop from it when I use the last of a staple, add the item to the list and usually have several weeks to find a good sale price. The only thing I "hoard" as in "consciously store in quantity against the possibility of disaster" is salt: 400 pounds isn't going to spoil and will go a very long way to preserving food and acting as trade goods. Idiosyncratic, but I selected it a couple of decades ago and it makes my happy.

You have 400 pounds of salt? Jeez Louise! I think 400 pounds would last me the rest of my life! :)
GG, I use about a pound of salt a year for seasoning (there are salty condiments involved, LOL). I expect this little bit of security to still be safely stored away in its ceramic crocks when my grandchildren move into the family home place.

I hope you have some gourmet salts in your stores. At my consumption rate (or yours, a pound a year) I'd hate to have to go 400 years with no gourmet salt at all. ;)

At least I hope some of your salt is sea salt.

GG, the salts I use (as opposed to those I hoard) range from black to table and I select which to use with some thought. ...and soy sauce or fish sauce or bean sauce or Worcestershire sauce or some other flavoring may have far and away enough salt so that no crystallized product comes out.

BTW, only 20% of folks are salt sensitive as a health concern and you can find out if you are with a little salt challenge and blood pressure check, assuming you are in general in good health. I avoid salt, fat and sugar, because they are cheap pleasures that crowd out the perfect balance of flavor you can get with skill. But I don't worry about my health if I occasionally am served deep fried Twinkies with ice cream salt. A courteous bite isn't going to hurt me.

I'm in the majority who should just consume reasonable quantities of salt. I have no reason to restrict my salt intake other than not wanting to be sucked into the mass hysteria of over-consumption of salt. I'll be fine if I just live within the RDA guidelines. I'm worried that with so much salting of fast food and convenience food that I suspect it's easy to go over the RDA. That's a good reason I avoid fast food. Not so easy to avoid convenience food (e.g. microwave meals) with my present minimalist cooking facilities.

i am a prepper and the way things are going right now in the world ive been extemly active lately. i have lots of grains, pastas, beans, canned veggies and meats. i also have a garden that does pretty well, just wondering if anyone here buys and hoards food in preparation for an event or just trying to outpace inflation. also curious as to what kinds of foods you might be hoarding.

"Hoard" food, I've never heard it put that way! :)

I "stock up" but I don't do extreme couponing or anything, in fact I rarely use coupons unless they can be put on my club card. But whenever something goes on sale that my family eats regularly, I do one of two things: 1) If it's non perishable, like canned foods or dry pasta, I buy a bunch of it. 2) If it's perishable, I will sometimes plan a meal around that ingredient.

I kind of have to do it this way because my family is so big, and we spend a lot of money on groceries. Of course I also am big on fresh produce, healthier cuts of meat etc. so I don't usually save more than about 35% on any one grocery trip. In other words, I don't make my family eat a lot of processed, crappy food just in the name of saving money.

The type of stuff I usually stock up on is pasta, rice, flour and sugar and staples type things. I also buy meat when it is at least 50% off, and if I can't use it that week I vacuum seal it and freeze it. I find it stays edible for a long time if packaged correctly. And I often double what I'm cooking (depending on how much room is in my freezer) and freeze it for a quick meal on busy days. In fact most of what I'm hoarding is probably ready-made stuff that I froze myself, like pot pies, chilies, soups, stews, curries and that kind of thing.

so im at safeway friday getting my hoard on, ground turkey on sale 3# for $5 and as im loading up my cart i hear a "good lord", i look up and this middle aged lady is staring me down hard then darts her eyes to my cart and back at me again. i look at her cart and she has 1 pack of turkey in her cart versus my 6, i didn't comment or gesture back, just wheeled off, her eating my dust.

I work in a grocery store, so I can be more subtle with my hoarding, a little every day. Last week a chicken sausage that I like was on sale for $4.99 with a $3 coupon attached! $1.99 for a $5.99 pack of really good sausage, heck yeah! I have 10th packs in the freezer now......

Got a great deal on whole boneless ribeye a few weeks ago, cut it up, froze it in steaks and stuff left over. I love getting whole loins on sale and cutting them into chops, steaks, etc. And it's just for the two of us.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say I hoard. I collect, then I consume. But maybe, I collect more than I consume, because one of my worst fears is running out of quality ingredients. This is why I've ended up building up a treasure trove of dried foodstuffs, which include: abalones, sea cucumbers, shark fins, fish maws, scallops, pearl meat, katsuobushi, konbu, black moss, snow fungus, cloud fungus, bamboo fungus, matsutake mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, morels, porcini, smoked rice. Wines I've aged which are ready for drinking now, include: 1962 Penfolds Bin 60A, 1963 Mildara "Peppermint Patty", 1966 Penfolds Grange, 1967 d'Yquem, 1971 Penfolds Grange, 1978 Mount Mary "Quintet", 1986 Penfolds Grange, 1986 Henschke "Hill Of Grace", 1990 Clos du Mesnil, 1990 Cristal and 1990 Dom Perignon. Lately, I've sometimes experienced a nervous panic whenever I consider that my supply of 1962 Bin 60A, 1963 "Peppermint Patty" and 1978 "Quintet" will very, very quickly run out...

I'm not sure, but there's probably a lot of fiddly cleaning involved with stripping away the shark's skin and flesh and any thick, inedible spines that help keep the fins' shape in the water. I don't know at what stage, but the shark fins would be dried somewhere along the way, and also bleached, I believe.

I'm not sure, but there's probably a lot of fiddly cleaning involved with stripping away the shark's skin and flesh and any thick, inedible spines that help keep the fins' shape in the water. I don't know at what stage, but the shark fins would be dried somewhere along the way, and also bleached, I believe.

No shark fin!!! Don't mean to harsh your mellow, but the procedure is: catch the sharks, cut the fins off, release the sharks, and the sharks die a slow and painful death, as they can't swim and bleed to death or drown. A horribly cruel practice, akin to hacking off your limbs and throwing you in the water. Please keep shark fin off the menu.

http://www.stopsharkfinning.net/

Last edited:
I work in a grocery store, so I can be more subtle with my hoarding, a little every day. Last week a chicken sausage that I like was on sale for $4.99 with a $3 coupon attached! $1.99 for a $5.99 pack of really good sausage, heck yeah! I have 10th packs in the freezer now......

i have a lucky's near me that puts $1 off stickers on their ground beef and sausage, have around 10# of various grinds in the freeze at around $1.50/lb

someone has country style pork ribs on sale this week for $1.49 and some of that is going in the freeze

Oh dear! I have boxes and boxes full of top-grade shark fins! I think I'll still have to eat them all, but I won't be buying any more shark fins until they are harvested with more care and respect for the shark.

Oh dear! I have boxes and boxes full of top-grade shark fins! I think I'll still have to eat them all, but I won't be buying any more shark fins until they are harvested with more care and respect for the shark.

Thank you. Not your fault, you didn't know. Personally, I would donate them to the local aquarium center, or feed them to the cat. Just an FYI, as an added perk, sharks pee through their skins.

Last edited:
Kujiraya said:

Thank you.

Harvesting shark is not a bad thing in itself.

What I find abhorrent is the fact that only the fins are taken, the shark is cruelly maimed and returned to the sea in a mutilated state and dies a slow death.

Better to kill the shark outright and harvest the meat along with the fins.

I've had shark steaks and enjoyed them very much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom