Why can't I make soft, chewy, light yeast rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysmile

Cook
It seems that no matter what recipe I use, my rolls come out heavy and dry, more like a bread than a roll. My last try I thought maybe I should let it rise more. The recipe called for 3 rises before forming and one more after forming. That didn't help. Although maybe it was because I ran out of time and had to stash the dough in my cold garage over night. I let it come to room temperature and proceeded. They were bready, and sourdough tasting.

Does anyone have a recipe that comes out light, pillowy, yet slightly chewy? Think Texas Roadhouse rolls. (Yes, I tried their recipe, with no luck)

I'm sure it has to be me doing something wrong. What technique am I missing? I kneaded it for 8 minutes. Help! :(

Here is my favorite roll recipe. I hope it works out for you. I am really sorry that your dough soured -- next time you may want to roll them on a cookie sheet and stick them in a freezer. You can take out as many as you need, just allow extra time to thaw, rise, and bake them as you normally would.

Rolls

1 c. milk
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, melted
6 eggs, beaten
8 c. flour
1 1/2 T. dry yeast

Scald the milk and set aside. Drop the butter in the milk so it will melt and allow the milk/butter mixture to cool to luke warm. Add yeast and a pinch of sugar and let set until bubbly. Add in beaten eggs, sugar and salt, mix well. Stir in flour 1 cup at a time until dough is firm but a little sticky. Knead for 10 minutes. Let rise until doubled in a well greased bowl. Punch down and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into rolls, place on greased baking sheet. Allow to rise until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

Easy and delicious

Thank you for your replies. My recipes have all used milk, butter, eggs, yeast, flour, sugar and salt. I follow to the T. It doesn't sound like I am over kneading...

Could the altitude have anything to do with it? I'm at 5000 ft. I never have made any adjustments for this, since I don't know how.

Another thought, do I need to sift my flour? I don't, and maybe I'm getting too much?

Last edited:
No, I really don't think so and only because I used to live at 6800' when I made the rolls. The only thing I really found about the altitude is that it takes longer to rise. I also have done the same recipe at almost 9000' and in LA which is sometimes at sea level or below.

Also the only time I sift flour is really for cakes.

Bread/rolls takes patience and teaches patience.

The biggest thing I have found with yeast breads/rolls is the temperature of the liquid before we add the yeast.

I guess I will keep trying. I'm not exactly new to baking. I bake bread with no problem....white bread that is. Wheat bread still comes out too dense for my taste. Even adding vital wheat gluten hasn't helped.

I'm so frustrated, as I've been cooking/baking for years and years! I wish I could just pinpoint the thing I'm doing wrong. Maybe I should try singing to the dough.....:LOL:

It seems that no matter what recipe I use, my rolls come out heavy and dry, more like a bread than a roll. My last try I thought maybe I should let it rise more. The recipe called for 3 rises before forming and one more after forming. That didn't help. Although maybe it was because I ran out of time and had to stash the dough in my cold garage over night. I let it come to room temperature and proceeded. They were bready, and sourdough tasting.

Does anyone have a recipe that comes out light, pillowy, yet slightly chewy? Think Texas Roadhouse rolls. (Yes, I tried their recipe, with no luck)

I'm sure it has to be me doing something wrong. What technique am I missing? I kneaded it for 8 minutes. Help! :(

After your final rise, you must bake the bread/rolls. You can set it aside any time UP TO the last rise, but not after. After the dough has been shaped, you have to bake.

I did bake them after the final rise. Dough rose 3 times (seems like too many to me, but that was the recipe), stored it overnight, let it warm up just a touch, formed the rolls, let them rise and then baked.

I'd start with using less flour. Give it a try, see what happens. How much flour does recipe call for?

I'll try that. This is the recipe I used:

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 cups warm milk
  • 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 7 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
Directions

1. Pour milk into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle yeast over the surface. Allow to rest for 5 minutes. Beat in the sugar, eggs, 1/2 cup butter, and salt; blend thoroughly. Gradually stir in the flour to make a soft dough. Cover bowl, and set in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
  2. Punch down the dough, cover the bowl, and allow to rise again. Repeat this step two more times.
  3. Break off 2 to 3 inch size pieces of dough, roll lightly into round shape, and place in prepared baking dish, edges touching. Repeat to make 36 dough balls. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
  4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  5. Bake rolls in preheated oven until tops turn golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. When rolls are finished baking, drizzle melted butter over the top, and serve warm.
Does "soft dough" mean it should still be sticky? I've been adding enough to clean the sides of the bowl as I do with bread. Maybe I have the wrong idea.

Last edited:
Does "soft dough" mean it should still be sticky? I've been adding enough to clean the sides of the bowl as I do with bread. Maybe I have the wrong idea.

Yes, you should be able to work with it but it will still be sticky. My rich yeast dough is very similar to yours. I also lightly brush the tops with butter as soon as they come out.

You should watch the baking time too, out the instant they are done.

We've been experimenting with garlic rolls trying to get that extremely soft, spongy, soak up the garlic oil rolls that a lot of Italian/Pizza places have. I've found that letting them over-rise for 30 minutes to an hour gets them even fluffier. Basically start with a pizza dough except very soft, slightly sticky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom