Wife wants a nice knife set for christmas, what to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

familyguy

Assistant Cook
My wife says she wants a decent set of knives and a block to keep them in. She doesn't want knives for us to eat with, just for food preparation. She's had many a $30 wal-mart knife/block sets. I want to get her something nice but also have a limited budget. I looked on ebay to see what brands are out there but unfortunately don't know what's good and what's bad. I am hoping to find something nice for $100 but can go as high as $150. What do you all suggest? She is doing normal kitchen stuff for our family of 4 and likes to have family get togethers, she really does a lot in the kitchen and I would like to get her something she will enjoy.

Thanks for you suggestions!
--R

Hi familyguy!! Welcome to the board.

Knives are really expensive and in my opinion it is better to have one $100.00 knife than a whole set for $99.99.

I would look for Wusthof - 8" chef's knife - it's around $90.00 or one of my all-time favorite knives is the one sold on the Food TV Network -

WUSTHOF 7 IN. SANTOKU KNIFE HOLLOW EDGE - It is a great knife!!!

Make sure she has a steel to sharpen her knives each and every time she uses them - really, really, helps.

Wow - I've been doing a little search and I think I have a winner here -

Wusthof Classic Cook's Set (4 Pieces) $149.95

Scroll down the page, I think it's the 4th set down - that's a winner in my book!!!!!

The 7" Santoku is a great option if you want to keep it even cheaper though - just be sure she has a steel. I use this knife for LOTS AND LOTS of things. It gets used every day - but the link above to the the set of Wusthof is a nice dream set.

I couldn't agree more as to the Wusthoff product.

I've just bought 2 and couldn't be happier with the quality of the knife/the balance and feel of the handle in my hand as I work is second to none.

Global knives aren't too shabby. I also have a Cutco chef's knife and it's worked very well for me. As an added bonus it has, like Rolex and Craftsman, a lifetime garantee. Send the knife back at any time and they'll resharpen it free of charge.

Another brand to consider is the Victorinox stamped line with the thermo-plastic handles. Several reviews have picked this 3rd or 4th place of ALL knife brands and they are really reasonable. I bought one to try and i was impressed though I typically favor a forged knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom