Wine and health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
OK, I live in Bordeaux, so I'm kind of biased. I drink wine frequently, and any number of studies have showed that moderate drinking of wine (and beer) is good for you.

Obviously, a lot depends on what you define as moderate.

At least once a week, I finish a bottle of wine with my wife, and drink a glass or two with most meals.

Do many of you enjoy wine on a regular basis? How do you view the issue of wine and health?

Whereas wine consumption keeps going down in France, it is steadily rising in the United States, so there is hope there!

I might add that my love of fine food came significantly later than my love of fine wine. That is to say, I've always enjoyed eating, but it was only relatively late in the game that I became interested in making special food, and thinking about wine and food matches.

Best regards,
Alex R.

welcome alex,

thank you for your very interesting intro post. i agree with you that drinking wine is good for you, both body and soul, and it can easily, but more importantly enjoyably added to one's dietary concern.

lol, ok, that sounded too official.

i love drinking wine, especially reds, and i like to cook mostly with whites. i love the way they both contrast and compare with food; like a section of a symphony orchestra. sometimes supporting the melody, or creating a harmony where none existed; sometimes providing a base or counterpoint.

the feature that it makes everyone look better, and takes an edge off of life is also not lost on this poster...:)

I drink wine with most meals. A couple of glasses of red. Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes beer.

I also cook with wine, both reds and whites.

Most of the wines I drink are California and Australian Reds with a little French and Italian thrown into the mix.

I drink approximately one bottle of white during the week and my hubby and I usually polish off a bottle of red on the w/ends. I enjoy a good glass of wine after work and I like to have some wine on the w/ends.

I will have wine with a meal/event if I'm with people, but not alone...just my inner discipline saying no, not tonight...save some calories. But that means most weeks I have two or three meals with wine. I cook with wine etc. I also enjoy a fine micro brew IPA, and a fine single malt scotch.
WHen alone I brew exotic teas or coffees so I still have a treat.

I love drinking wine with food and I love the challenge of pairing wine with food. Nothing beats a glass of wine with dinner after a busy night at the restaurant. Alex, you are very lucky to live where you do, where the second best wines in the world are produced. The first you ask? I'll go with a Burgundy.

In my effort to stay healthy, I drink at least one glass of red wine daily :LOL:

I make sure I burn enough extra calories during my exercise program to allow those glasses of wine! I seldom drink white wine...sometimes on a hot summer day a chilled glass of pinot grigio (sp?) hits the spot.

i have wine with some meals. this French restaurant next to me gives me wine w/out cost when i dine. i have 2 glasses, then say i've had my fill so as to be polite. i figure wine is healthy for you. i've read & viewed many things & it sounds like that a few glasses of wine are fine to have.

Hi, Alex, I'm not so expert in wine, but I agree that "little" wine is absolutely good. Usually, I drink a...half? a little? glass of wine in every meal. In particulars ebents too, when it's possible, may be I drink something more, but not so much. I love the restaurant that offer menus with a glass (generally a third of it) of different wine for every serving. If I'm thirsty, I drink water, and the wine is used to enjoy the dish I'm eating: just a drop.
Unfortunately, this is not a matter I can do in home meals.....Too expensive..:mad: :wacko:

Ironchef,

Bordeaux second best? Surely you jest:neutral: !

Do you know what people say here.
Le bourgogne ? Bien entendu, il faut absolument en avoir dans sa cave. Avec quoi d'autre voulez-vous faire un boeuf bouguignon ?

In fact, I agree that they do make good wines in Burgundy. Some ****ed good ones. The problem is that Burgundy is a minefield. Finding those good wines is like looking for the holy grail.
I would only get involved if I lived in or near the region.

The paradox is that inexpensive Burgundy is frequently terrible. Inexpensive Bordeaux is unquestionably better.
However, the greatest Burgundy is significantly less expensive than the greatest Bordeaux. Now, if only it were as reliable I might be converted!

Best regards,
Alex R.

I love wine, to me, it's second only to beer.

I often drink a glass... bottle. :angel:

We have one rule at our house when it comes to wines - when you open it up, you throw away the cork.

John

Jimmy and I love reds-although in the summer I find myself switching to chilled whites.I usually save my wine consumtion for Fri nights and BOY do I look forward to it!!!
As for the corks, Ronjohn- we have glass bowls that we throw the corks of new wines have tried in and of our favorites. We have about 3 large bowls filled and I have them displayedthroughout our house. I have one bowl that I have a layer of seashells in the bottom topped with the corks of wines from our vacations or special events.But like you-seldom does the cork go back in the bottle!!!!!
Happy drinking!!!Love and energy, Vicki

Being in a good mood is very important for your health. Lots of studies have shown that happy people are generally healthier than unhappy people.

Drinking wine makes me happy so yes I say it is good for my health :LOL:

Every visit to my cardiologist (once a year) he asks if I'm drinking wine and when I respond in the affirmative, he tells me to keep it up. I ask for a prescription for wine but he refuses.

i would like to suggest a great line of wine that my wine tasting group has had EXTREMELY GOOD luck with and it is all $15 and under, but i don't know how DC is about mentioning brand names. If this is okay, i'd like to tell ya'll about it

Thanks: The brand is Hayman & Hill, it is made by the wine maker from Blackstone winery. He sets aside the very best grapes he finds and makes this line it is like a "wine makers select". We started with the cabernet sauvignon and we loved it, so we tried to pinot noir and then the zinfandel and merlot. All are incredible for 15 a bottle. We have yet to try the chardonnay, but i have no doubt. I am really hooked, in fact, last time we got the zin and poured it so nobody would know the brand because we didn't want anyone to be partial to the brand we had come to love. I am very impressed. For the price, you can't go wrong.:clap:

Back
Top Bottom