Your Best Homemade Dishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
norgeskog said:
Sauted baby carrots & whole shallots with honey/chicken stock reduction

Nordeskog, I would love to have this one. Can you post it in the Vegetables section, please? And I loved your dying diva story. :)

As for me, I'm in the same boat as the poster who wrote that her friends don't cook, so are glad to eat anything she makes. But I've gotten compliments on the following:

New York Deli Style Cheesecake
Raspberry Cheesecake with Walnut Crust
Homemade Bread, any kind
Fried Chicken
Mashed Potatoes & Cheddar Cheese Casserole
Turkey Stuffing

sunday gravy (meatballs, sausages, pork rib ends)
sausages and peppers
frutti di mare fra diavolo
cioppino
linguine in white clam sauce
snapper in garlic marinara
chicken parmesan
chicken cacciatore
grilled dirty pork chops and pickled peppers
grilled thai chicken
grilled thai squid / teryaki squid
chicken and mushrooms au vin
filet mignon and shiitakes in red wine reduction
grilled peaches and ice cream
grilled marinated portabellas and gorgonzola
pot roast with gravy and mashed taters
buffalo chicken dip
lemon chicken
steamed fish and veggies in foil
steak kew
chicken shrimp and tofu stir fry

Bucky..would you be kind enough to post your recipe for chicken and mushrooms..you can post below under that category...and if you can give me an idea of how you make your chicken parmasean..its one of my all time favorite dishes..I find it comforting...Thanks

3 recipes I'd certainly like...

Buckytom's Buffalo Chicken Dip
&
Bangbang's Pecan Pie
&
Chez_suz's Potato Latkes

Thank you!!!.

ok chez suz and jkath. i've posted them somewhere here before. lemme go find the links...
i'll have to type out the chicken parm later, tho.

****edited*******
here's the buffalo chicken dip. i copied the recipe from epicurious, which i think was originally in gourmet magazine, circa 1991.

BONNIE'S BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, about 2 pounds, boiled, drained & shredded with 2 forks (crockpot is a great way to cook the chicken) Don't cut chicken into chunks..it needs to be shredded

1 - 12 ounce bottle Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce (try not to substitute here, Frank's really is the best. Crystal would be okay but do NOT use Tabasco)

2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese

1 - 16 ounce bottle Ranch dressing

1/2 cup chopped celery

8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, combine shredded cooked chicken meat with entire bottle of Frank's sauce, spreading to form an even layer.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream cheese and entire bottle of Ranch dressing, stirring til hot & smooth. Pour this evenly over chicken mixture.

Sprinkle with celery. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes; then sprinkle with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or til bubbly. Serve with celery sticks for dippers and/or any sturdy dipping chip like Tostito Golds.

Pineapple casserole
peanut butter cookies
country fried steak & gravy
fried squash
orange baked chicken
grilled pork chops
stuffed pork chops
anything that has to do with breakfast: breakfast pizza, omelets, fritattas, overnight coffee cake
fresh creamed corn
butter pecan bars
peanut butter yummies
oven fried chicken
beer battered shrimp & chicken

JKath...go to vegetables (potato latkas) and you will see my post for my way of making them...they are really good!

here's my chicken and mushrooms au vin. i can't find the original post, so here's a repeat.

first, in a large, square sided skillet, i brown a whole chicken (cut into quarters) in eloo. remove chicken and set aside. next, brown some sliced onions and garlic in eloo, and set aside with the chicken. Next, render the fat out of a cup of lardons of bacon, set bacon aside, pour off most of the fat, and put in about 5 portabella mushrooms sliced into "fingers", and 2 tbsps of butter. let cook in the butter until just beginning to soften and give up some of their moisture. set mushrooms aside. deglaze the pan with about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of red wine, and reduce to about half. next, place the chicken, onions/garlic, bacon, and portabellas back into the pan in that order, toss in a handful of sprigs of fresh thyme and parsley, salt and pepper, and cover tightly. simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked thru and tender. plate the chicken, surround with mushroms, and melt 2 tbsps of butter to the remaining wine sauce, and pour over the chicken and mushrooms. garnish with a few sprigs of thyme.

sorry this is just a rough draft, but i'm just doing it from memory. have made it so many times that i don't measure anything anymore.

Here's the beer batter & the chicken for you chez suz

Beer Batter

1 1/2C. flour
2 eggs
1C. flat beer(I measure out one cup to let go flat & then drink the rest )
1tsp. salt
1tsp. oil
1/2tsp. pepper

Seperate eggs; beat yolks with oil. Add beer, flour, salt, & pepper. Beat egg wites & fold in, mixing well. Dip desired meat or veggies in flour then in batter & fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
This is great for shrimp, onion rings, fish, chicken, or almost anything deep fried.

Orange Baked Chicken
I don't use a recipe for this, it's just something I threw together one night for the heck of it. I made it last night with split chicken breasts.

Mix softened butter or margarine with fresh oj, 1 or 2 cloves minced garlic, salt, & pepper to taste. Rub all over outside of chicken. Bake chicken at 350F until internal temp reaches 170F in breast or 180F for dark meat or whole bird.

Butter Pecan Bars for Catseye. These are thin & chewy. I'm ready for your refrigerator pecan dessert! :D

These came from AcraMax.com. They are really good & quick!

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 and 1/3 cup flour
1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup pecans, chopped

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch-baking pan and bake for 20 - 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool and cut into bars.

The Skinny: Use your favorite egg and sugar substitutes. These bars will be pretty dense. If you want to lighten them up a little and make them more cake-like, add 1/2 tsp. of baking powder.

My best dishes are:

Orange Cake
Drunken Smoked Ham
Toll House Pies
Beef Stew
Wild Greens
Potato Salad
Tomato Viniagrette Salad
Biscuits
Fried Chicken
Stuffed Pork Chops
Green Beans
Collards/Turnip/other Greens
Creamed Peas and Potatoes
BBQ Ribs, etc.
Salmon Croquettes
Carrot Cake
Gravies
Potato Casserole
Fried Pork Chops
Beef/Pork Roasts
Cole Slaw
Roast Turkey/Chicken
Dressing
Various types of Beans
Jellies
Sweet Potato Pie
Chess Pie
Home made ice cream
Fried Corn
Devilled Eggs

crewsk said:
Butter Pecan Bars for Catseye. These are thin & chewy. I'm ready for your refrigerator pecan dessert! :D

Oh, boy, those look good -- and I'm so glad to have something that is super quick for those low-energy, "why do they have to come tonight"days. Thanks, crewsk. I'm posting my pecan thing in the Desserts forum.

Cats

norgeskog said:
Bangbang said:
norgeskog said:
luvs_food said:
baked macaroni and cheese

I LOVE homemade macaroni and cheese, luvs, what is your recipe, or is it posted in the proper pasta page. I remember years ago a friend would have a gal party about once a month. She was European and would make M&C from scratch, while we all watched and drank wine and listened to Le Bohem, she was the dying diva. It took her about a hour and three bottles of wine (there were five of us) or so to get it ready for the oven. We would toss the salad while she got into character. BY the time dinner was done, the dramatic dying scene was being portrayed by our lovely hostess who was so bombed she could not walk across the floor. We served dinner and ate while she continued to dye on her couch, with another bottle of wine. We made her a plate and sat it on the coffee table, per her request opened another bottle of wine and cleaned up and quietly went home. The next day she would call each of us and ask if she had a good time, I told her she did the best dying scene ever, she did herself proud. A month later the same was repeated. We all had a good time, and we threatened to tape her but under penalty of not being invited to return, we never did.

Idid not read this disgusting post and it should be deleted now. :!: Mac and Cheese is Ummmmmm......well.....well....evil :!:

Bangbang what is so disgusting about this post, not one four letter word in it.

I hate Mac and Cheese. Yuck :!:

Crewsk and Bucky..thank you for posting
Chocolate chef...want to share your stuffed pork chop recipe?

chez suz said:
Crewsk and Bucky..thank you for posting
Chocolate chef...want to share your stuffed pork chop recipe?

I make a basic cornbread stuffing with cornbread and toasted white bread cubes; sauteed chopped onion, celery, green peppers, and mushrooms; chicken stock, sage, parsley, garlic, thyme, savory, butter, salt and pepper.

Stuff it in the pocket of a thick cut seasoned pork chop, and baked at 350 in a covered pan til almost done, then remove cover to brown.

Catseye said:
crewsk said:

Oh, boy, those look good -- and I'm so glad to have something that is super quick for those low-energy, "why do they have to come tonight"days. Thanks, crewsk. I'm posting my pecan thing in the Desserts forum.

Cats

That's the reason I like them so much! Plus they are good to take for things at church or other events where you have to take a dessert or something. I found your recipe & it looks great! Thanks!

My pleasure chez suz! :D

I cover mine, because like most black folks, I like my pork chops well done and falling apart tender.

Now, that I know about brining, I will brine my chops before stuffing them. It should improve the flavor and moistness immensely.

I was well pleased with how my brined poultry turned out over Thanksgiving! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom