Your Best of the 1980s!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkath said:
My black camaro had T-Tops.

In the 80s, I dressed a lot like Prince. Hey, you can't go wrong with a purple velvet jacket, high heels and spandex.

Then it should not have been a black Camaro, it should have been a red Corvette. :-p :ROFLMAO: :-p

John

Beta was replaced with VHS and cost $1,200. A VHS rewinder cost $300. And the knowledge to program the recorder....priceless!

Indiana Jones, Terminator, ROBO COP & Batman

There were no such things as cell phones; there were cordless phones.

ronjohn55 said:
Then it should not have been a black Camaro, it should have been a red Corvette. :-p :ROFLMAO: :-p

John

Good point, John!!:ROFLMAO:

Another couple of things I was rather surprised not to see here,

Breakfast club, the film that seemed like everyone loved except me those days!!

And Jane Fonda fitness/leotard/leg warmer craze... or should that be among "WORST" of the 80s???:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ohmy:

StirBlue said:
Women only clubs with male dancers; Playgirl.
Omigosh! I'd forgotten about those. We had one in the Maryland area, where I lived at the time, called the Hangar Club. That's where we "girls" went for our nights out together and where we took one of our group who was about to be married. One last fling, so to speak. Bawdy, lewd and harmless fun.

Those of us who were married always joked about our husbands reaping the benefits of our visits to the Hangar Club.:whistling:brows:

Last edited:
RMS said:
Nintendo was new

Wow, I just realized that the last time I took a real vacation was in the 80's.

So, where did you go? There was a co-worker in my dept from Hawaii and we other co-workers went along to "visit" her family once or twice a year.

I have quite a memory about the original "portable" phones. There was this guy who'd come into my salon, as he was buds with the owner. He always had the latest gizmo and on one particular day he brought along his "portable phone".

The handset itself was the size of a small toaster and it had a cord that lead to what I'm assuming was the battery pack/transistor/who knows what. The pack was as big as 3 briefcases stacked on top of each other, and looked to weigh around 20 lbs.
Of course, he had to walk in to the salon and immediately dial someone.
Gee, how impressive...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
another long-winded story:
About the "women's clubs"...
my good friend got married in the late 80s. Her bachelorette party was at Chippendales. We got there and were told we couldn't order alcohol, as they'd had their license revoked for 2 weeks, as they'd been serving minors.
Gee, wasn't it "super fun" for my friends and I to watch these "performers" while drinking bad coffee.... not!!!

I have quite a memory about the original "portable" phones. There was this guy who'd come into my salon, as he was buds with the owner. He always had the latest gizmo and on one particular day he brought along his "portable phone".

The handset itself was the size of a small toaster and it had a cord that lead to what I'm assuming was the battery pack/transistor/who knows what. The pack was as big as 3 briefcases stacked on top of each other, and looked to weigh around 20 lbs.
Of course, he had to walk in to the salon and immediately dial someone.
Gee, how impressive...

Did you know that you were probably witnessing a con man in progress? I wonder how many people invested in his fake gizmo's. You know military used portable phones in WWII that looked similar the 80's police walkietalkies.
Tell me you did not buy one of those portable telephones. :huh: But then maybe he was involved with an amatuer inventor.

Our cordless telephones in the 80's would pick up telephone frequencies along the street. One night some funny people were in the drive-thru at Jack In The Box. They called the fast food number and was giving their order to a clerk inside while he thought he was taking it over the outside intercom.
After a little double talk game, he recognized his buddies.

dukes of hazzard, golden girls, 80's glasses..... oh, my, 80's glasses.....
alf, stonewashed, neon, ferris beuller.......

luvs said:
dukes of hazzard, golden girls, 80's glasses..... oh, my, 80's glasses.....
alf, stonewashed, neon, ferris beuller.......

Sculptured eye glass frames. I didn't watch as much tv in the 80's so I am assuming that some of these tv series had a long run right into the 80's.

Thelma & Louise (movie), California earthquake, John Lennon is killed, Eddie & the Cruisers (movie)

I hope this is my las post and I can finally sleep without out remembering the 80's

AIR BAND COMEPTITIONS :wacko:

JDP

Wow! This has been a trip down memory lane.

Outside of what has been mentioned, I add the following:

Going over my friend's house to listen to many of the aforementioned bands, i.e. Great White, Poison, GnR, etc. because my parents would not allow such music in the house or car.

On that note, all my mother listened to was "light rock" meaning Lionel Richie, James Taylor (though I like him more now then before), etc. I've always liked country, so I could listen to that, Christian music, Mom's music, or Dad's classical music.

That said, when I wasn't around mom & dad, I took advantage to listening to anyting and everything else that I liked, even pop artists. I remember my middle school class going to a roller skating rink with the music. Paula Abdul was a popular play, but the one that sticks out the most in my mind is Tiffany, specifically "I think we're alone now" . . . . hubba hubba!

urmaniac13 said:
So... the confession time... who had this hair 20 years ago??

80s-big-hair.jpg
:ROFLMAO: :ohmy: :ROFLMAO:
Here's me circa about 1985-6.

poofie.jpg

And here's me circa 1988ish.

20.jpg

Last edited:
Concerts I saw in the '80s:

Depeche Mode (three times)
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Love and Rockets
PIL
A Flock of Seagulls
Shriekback
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Missing Persons
The Fixx
The Go-Gos
Air Supply
REO Speedwagon
Eurythmics
The Cure
REM
Exploited
Nine Inch Nails
Cocteau Twins
GBH
Agnostic Front
Bad Brains
SNFU
The Descendants
Corrosion of Conformity
Gene Loves Jezebel
Modern English
Lords of the New Church
The Romantics
Ministry
Meat Beat Manifesto
Nitzer Ebb
Danzig
GWAR
Red Hot Chili Peppers

I'm sure there are others.

When my wife met me in the late '80s I had 8 earrings and a nose ring and long black hair. I wore black, black and black. Chinese kung fu flats or Converse high tops. I had a couple of pairs of checkered Vans (and still have a couple of pairs of Vans, one pair checkered)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom