Yuk To Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You weren't a jerk, Linda! Actually, if you don't eat them, that's just more for me. :LOL: Some days I think I should open a rescue home for Brussels sprouts, though. Don't know how "rescued" they'd feel after I cooked and ate them, though. :huh: They don't "feel", do they? :ermm:

You weren't rude. Just expressing an opinion in an honest way. I don't think CG was really offended. She's from Cleveland, so she's heard a whole lot worse. :D

CD

No doubt about that ;)

You weren't a jerk, Linda! Actually, if you don't eat them, that's just more for me. :LOL: Some days I think I should open a rescue home for Brussels sprouts, though. Don't know how "rescued" they'd feel after I cooked and ate them, though. :huh: They don't "feel", do they? :ermm:

Hey, I love Brussels!

:LOL: :flowers:

I guess (so far) I'm one of the few here who loves carrots just about any way, beets, and lima beans. Beets and limas may not technically be considered veggies, though. :)

It's way too funny when folks are somehow offended with trash talking of vegetables. Long live Discuss Cooking, Discuss Life.

:ROFLMAO::wacko::LOL:
Quit pickin' on Brussels sprouts and I'll leave ya alone. ;) :LOL: :winkiss:

Joel, ya gotta try grated beets and grated fresh horseradish...
One of our side dishes at Mabel's BBQ was smoked beets with Sherry vinaigrette, grated horseradish, and thin sliced apples. So. Good!

When making a Boiled Dinner, Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Cabbage and Turnip go into the pot with the meat. Every vegetable I love. Mash all together with butter, sea salt and pepper, except for the cabbage and I leave the table moaning that I ate to much. I always have to put extra veggies in the pot.

My mother made the mistake of serving us Dandelion Greens and my father opened the window and tossed them out, bowl and all. To this day I thank him.

:LOL: :flowers:

I guess (so far) I'm one of the few here who loves carrots just about any way, beets, and lima beans. Beets and limas may not technically be considered veggies, though. :)

No, you're not the only one. I love all of the above.

As for beets, I found something a couple of summers ago that I can only find every once in a while (I look for them often, but rarely spot them): golden beets. I picked them up, took them home, cut off the stems and the roots, boiled them until they were cooked (still firm, but not crunchy) then cooled them, peeled them and cut them into slices and ate them as-is. One of the most wonderful things I've ever had in veggieland. I love red/purple beets too, but the golden beets were exquisite.

When making a Boiled Dinner, Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Cabbage and Turnip go into the pot with the meat. Every vegetable I love. Mash all together with butter, sea salt and pepper, except for the cabbage and I leave the table moaning that I ate to much. I always have to put extra veggies in the pot.

Oh yes, that's some good eatin'. I love boiled dinners, especially New England Boiled Dinner. With the exception of the fatty meat (that I really don't eat a big portion of) all of those vegetables are so dang healthy. It's like health in a bowl, eating that stuff. In fact, I'd be perfectly content with just the veg and broth and nothing else.

My mother made the mistake of serving us Dandelion Greens and my father opened the window and tossed them out, bowl and all. To this day I thank him.

I'm afraid I probably would have done the same thing.

Last edited:
That said... [emoji38]

I think most of the kind of people who are regulars on a food forum like veggies. But, with some many varieties, there are bound to be some we don't like.

I think it is a fun topic. It has no productive reason to exist... it's just fun.

BTW, I haven't quite figured out what people see in eggplant. It does nothing for me.

CD ;)
I didn't say talking about veggies we don't like isn't interesting. The title, though, is "yuk to veggies." Like - all veggies. Seeing the title makes me sad. That's all.

I didn't say talking about veggies we don't like isn't interesting. The title, though, is "yuk to veggies." Like - all veggies. Seeing the title makes me sad. That's all.

I love most vegetables and my favorite part of summer is going to the farm markets and browsing through all that wonderful, beautiful produce. I eat my weight in tomatoes and onions. I know, tomatoes are a fruit, but I still consider them a vegetable.

When we order things like pizza or subs, mine always has to be a veggie. I don't like meat on pizza most of the time. Subs? Veggie. Oh! And speaking of pizza, I've recently discovered cauliflower pizza crust. It's a new love of mine.

I couldn't become a vegetarian, though, because I love chicken and seafood too much. But I do love a variety of vegetarian dishes and soups and even sandwiches and wraps.

I also love eggplant, summer and winter squashes, etc.

Last edited:
........As for beets, I found something a couple of summers ago that I can only find every once in a while (I look for them often, but rarely spot them): golden beets. I picked them up, took them home, cut off the stems and the roots, boiled them until they were cooked (still firm, but not crunchy) then cooled them, peeled them and cut them into slices and ate them as-is. One of the most wonderful things I've ever had in veggieland. I love red/purple beets too, but the golden beets were exquisite.....

Linda, I've had golden beets as well and yes, they are so good - not to mention pretty. :) I'll have to check out the local farmers market a little more closely to see if I can find them again.

I cook beets by roasting them - scrubbed, wrapped a few at a time in alum foil and roasted on a sheet pan at 400. It takes about 45 minutes or so, depending on their size. Like you, I like them with just a little bite to them. I love them plain, and chopped or julienned in salads with ranch. :yum:

Now I want some beets. :LOL:

Linda, I've had golden beets as well and yes, they are so good - not to mention pretty. :) I'll have to check out the local farmers market a little more closely to see if I can find them again.

I cook beets by roasting them - scrubbed, wrapped a few at a time in alum foil and roasted on a sheet pan at 400. It takes about 45 minutes or so, depending on their size. Like you, I like them with just a little bite to them. I love them plain, and chopped or julienned in salads with ranch. :yum:

Now I want some beets. :LOL:

That's the way I like them, just plain. Once I cooked and peeled them, I sliced them up and ate them like candy. I couldn't stop eating them.

Another recent discovery that I've fallen in love with - leeks. Someone gave me a recipe for Cream of Leek soup and I really need to make that soon.

I love sliced, cooked but cooled golden and red beets on a salad with warm, breaded goat cheese discs and pecans or walnuts.

I love sliced, cooked but cooled golden and red beets on a salad with warm, breaded goat cheese discs and pecans or walnuts.

With the exception of the goat cheese, that sounds absolutely fabulous.

I've eaten goat cheese a few times, trying to like it, but the taste just doesn't appeal to me. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of cheese in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom