Yum...creamy garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I have heard that you can roast garlic in the oven then extract it as a paste. Can someone tell me more about this like what temperatures and how to extract it? Cut it up?

TA

Desmond.

Roasted garlic is soooo good! I cut a bit off the top (pointy end) of unpeeled garlic heads just to expose the clove tops, put the heads in a pan and into a 350 degree oven. I poke the heads once in a while, since the age and variety of garlic affects the roasting time. Our hardneck garlic usually takes 20 to 30 minutes.
When the heads have cooled enough to be handled, gently squeeze the head and the garlic paste comes out.
If you end up with too much of the paste, mix it with butter and refrigerate. This is great for garlic bread, basting chicken breasts, or (some people) just put a bit on a cracker and gobble it down!

You could use your air fryer.

Pre heat highest setting. My little one is 400 degrees.
Remove all the excess skins that fall off naturally while they are being handled.
Cut the top off. Place them in foil. I cheat and use a bowl as a mold for the foil wrap. Drizzle the top with olive oil. S&P.Other spices that you prefer. Close the top seal them in.Set it to high. I go 20 minutes. When the air fryer beeps. I leave them in until they can be handled without the use of tongs. Let them sit in a pocket. They will finish cooking with their own steam. Without over cooking.
Good Luck! :)

Great idea. I can use the air fryer or roast the garlic with a sunday lunch or anythig else I would be cooking in the oven. On it's own wouls be wastefull unless I am doing hunfreds of them. Could have a large jam jar of the garlic. :)

If I did make a lot could it put in a small jar and kept in fridge for a while?

Last edited:
Yes it can.
Not only the fridge the freezer as well.
All you would have to do is make sure of when storing for later use is peel the cloves before you do it of all the skins.

I have a small pouring pitcher that has a cork for a top that I keep keep handy. It's filled with olive oil and a clove of garlic. Comes in very handy when making pasta dishes.

For storing in the fridge add your garlic then fill it with olive oil.
It will keep a few weeks.The lid needs to be air tight.

Mince it all with a fork. Add a little olive oil. If you have some extra ice cube trays fill them with your garlic. Tightly seal.Freeze. It should keep for a few months.
When you use it keep in mind a little goes a long way. That's not wrong in my world! :)

Roasted garlic is soooo good! I cut a bit off the top (pointy end) of unpeeled garlic heads just to expose the clove tops, put the heads in a pan and into a 350 degree oven. I poke the heads once in a while, since the age and variety of garlic affects the roasting time. Our hardneck garlic usually takes 20 to 30 minutes.
When the heads have cooled enough to be handled, gently squeeze the head and the garlic paste comes out.
If you end up with too much of the paste, mix it with butter and refrigerate. This is great for garlic bread, basting chicken breasts, or (some people) just put a bit on a cracker and gobble it down!
Mixing it with butter is a great idea. I do this then put it on a sheet of cling film and do the roll and twist thing to make a “sausage”. Then refrigerate and slice it and serve on a beautiful steak, like a Cafe de Paris - very cheffie and fancy 🫠

Chef Munky - "If you have some extra ice cube trays fill them with your garlic. Tightly seal."
Not sure what you mean about tightly seal the ise cubes

Also
Jade Emperor - "roll and twist thing to make a “sausage”"
How many garlic are you using to make this sausage? I like the idea of slicing up the sausage for a steak.

Last edited:
You should not store garlic in oil. It’s a botulism hazard.
Right, and not in garlic butter in the fridge either, for more than 4 days. It does seem restrictive but botulism is no joke.
I'll be baking some of our garlic right after harvest because we sometimes break the stems off the bulb and we have a mutant garlic in every harvest. We'll take those and bake them for creamy baked/roasted garlic. I've searched high and low and found no official resources saying that just because it is baked/roasted, it can be kept in oil/butter refrigerated, or in oil on the counter, so out of caution, I'll use it up or freeze it.

I think I have been looking at this the garlic the wrong way. I saw this on BBC cooking program some years ago. What he demonstrated is taking a roasted garlic and pressing it on the work surface and it all pored out like a tube of toothpaste. I think you are doing things differently. Maybe separate all the cloves out first, rub the skins off then . . . .

What I meant was do you do as they do on TV and just squert it out like toothpaste or do you seperate the cloves out. That is what I was trying to find out. What is the process you use?

For making yummy garlic cream, first you have to chop the garlic where i find garlic rocker tool very useful as this toll mince the garlic nicely. Have a try

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally separate all the cloves and remove the skins, place in a SS container or small pot, add enough evoo or your choice of oil to cover and roast in a 325 oven until soft. Garlic oil is a bonus.

I normally separate all the cloves and remove the skins, place in a SS container or small pot, add enough evoo or your choice of oil to cover and roast in a 325 oven until soft. Garlic oil is a bonus.
You can also do that on stovetop over medium-low heat. I don't remember how long though.

Back
Top Bottom