Apple recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crewsk, I saw that recipe and thought the cheddar and apple were a great idea (reminded me of the old days at Marie Calender's when the napkins used to say "apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze" - they were right too!)

Am very glad to know it's good! Thanks for posting it!

You're welcome WW! One of my favorite snacks is Ritz crackers with a piece of apple & a slice of sharp cheddar cheese on top just slightly warmed in the microwave.

Try put apples in salads like grate them. Make some apple juice by putting apples in a blender and then filter it then heat it up and put some cinnonmon suggar in it. On top put some whpped cream. Good hot drink during the winter

I just received some more Apple recipes in my email from a friend. I'm going to cut/paste them to this thread. I haven't had the time to test any of them.

Cee Cee's German Apple Cake

3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c Vegetable Oil
1 t vanilla
2 c flour
2 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
4 c chopped, peeled tart apples
¾ c chopped pecans
For the frosting:
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 t butter
-or- margarine, softened
2 c powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add to the egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into greased 9 x 13 x 2” baking dish. Bake 350°F for 55 - 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
For the frosting: in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add powdered sugar, beat until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.

Apple Goody

3 c apples, sliced
1 c sugar
1 heaping T flour
¾ c brown sugar
Dash of salt
For the crust:
¼ t soda
¾ c flour
¼ t baking powder
Cinnamon to taste
¾ c oatmeal
1/3 c melted margarine

Mix first 5 ingredients together. Put in 8” square pan. Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle over the apples. Bake at 350°F for 20 - 30 minutes. Top with Cool Whip if desired.

Apple Bars
Makes: 24 - 48 servings, depending on size

2 ½ c flour
1 c sugar
1 t salt
1 c shortening, such as Butter Flavor Crisco
2 eggs, separated
milk
1 ½ c cereal (rice krispies/corn flakes)
8 - 10 sliced peeled apples
1 ½ c sugar
1 ¼ t cinnamon
2 egg whites
For the Frosting:
2 c powdered sugar
Enough water to make runny
½ t flavor (think this is vanilla, or almond, or whatever extract)

Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut the shortening into the dry mixture. Combine the egg yolks with enough milk to make 2/3 cup. Add this to the flour mixture. Roll out half of the dough to fill a 12 x 15” jelly roll pan. Bring the edges up like a pie. Sprinkle the cereal over the bottom crust. Mix the apples, sugar, and cinnamon, and spread over cereal and crust. Roll out the remaining dough and place over apples, sealing the edges. Whip the egg whites and spread over crust with a fork. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. When it’s done, spread with the frosting and let cool.

All Day Apple Butter
Makes: around 4 pt

5 ½ # apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
4 c white sugar
2 t ground cinnamon
¼ t ground cloves
¼ t salt

Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well. Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 9 - 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown. Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness. Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.

Today, as I walked by all the apples on the ground at the ranger station I thought of this recipe and this topic. I may have to pick some of the apples and make this pie for my coworkers this week.

Dutch Apple Pie

2 cups flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup oatmeal
¾ cup melted butter
2 cups diced apples
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, oatmeal and melted butter to make crust. Reserve 1 cup of crust for topping. Press crust into pie dish. Cover crust with apples. Add water to sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to boil. Dissolve cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a little water. Stir into boiling mixture and cook until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Pour custard over apples. Sprinkle with the reserved pie crust. Bake at 350º for 55 minutes.

Last edited:
I still have alot of apples to use, and will eventually try most of the recipes you all have provided. Today I tried Cee Cee's German Apple Cake, provided by AllenMI. It came out great Allen, thanks! I made a few changes. Instead of pecans, I used crushed almonds since I had those on hand, I used an 8x8 square glass pan since I didnt have the size pan suggested, I eliminated cinnamon because hubby hates it, and I didnt use frosting because I prefer apple cake on its own. It came out awesome, nice and high, dense, great texture. I cant taste it though because I have a cold, but hubby said its really good.

Thanks again AllenMI

My mother always made her apple pies just as if she were going to bake them right away. Then, she froze them.

When we baked them, you could not tell the difference between those made fresh, and those that were frozen.

choclatechef said:
My mother always made her apple pies just as if she were going to bake them right away. Then, she froze them.

When we baked them, you could not tell the difference between those made fresh, and those that were frozen.

I did just that! Someone had suggested that on here, so I made the apple pie filling, let it cool, put it in ziplock bags and froze them ( layed the bags flat in the freezer). I have enough frozen now for two pies. Glad to hear the frozen stuff tastes as good as if it were made fresh.

amber said:
Anyone have experience with freezing sliced apples? Should I cook them first for an apple pie mix or just free them? When they thaw, are they soggy? I read online that you can freeze sliced apple on a cookie sheet and put them in baggies, but wondered how well they hold up when they thaw.

My mom said that when she freezes them, she doesn't have a problem; just slice and freeze. She did say, however, that they do come out a little soft, but they still work great for cooking.

Here's a real quick recipe that my great grandma made a lot:

All you need to do is quarter your apples, peeled or not, it doesn't matter. Put them in a baking dish and cover with red-hots. Put in the microwave until the red-hots melt, and they're done! They are super easy, fast, and tastey! Especially good on vanilla bean ice-cream!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMM!!!!

CookinBlondie*

since the apple season is still here, I would like to share with you my favorite recipe -straight from my home country- rice with apples
Unfortunately , I do not have exact measurements because it is so easy and I make it so often :)

rice
apples- for two people I usually use 6 average apples
3 tablespoons of sugar
vanilla sugar
milk
whipped cream
cinnamon
sour cream

OK, so this is how I make it.
First, peel and grate the apples . Then, place them with 2 tablespoons of sugar in the skillet and cook for about 10 minutes stirring from time to time. In the meantime, bring to boil pot with milk ,vanilla sugar and 1 tablespoon of regular sugar; place rice in the pot and cook untill tender.

Preheat oven to 350F, butter the casserole dish -I use one made of glass.

When both rice and apples are ready, place 1/3 of the rice on the bottom of the casserole dish , then spread one tablespoon of sour cream and some cinnamon over, put half of the apples, rice and so on - the last layer needs to be rice!!

Place our casserole dish into the oven for about 20-30 minutes. When ready cut it into pieces like you cut lasagne and serve with whipped cream and cinnamon

Yummi

This dish in my home is served as sweet dinner , however I know people who eat it as dessert :)

On many of the apple recipes an "A" with an accent mark appears in the amount. What does it mean? Is it a substitute for something? Thanks.

texasgirl hmm... how to explain it , in Canada ,where we live, it is available in grocery stores , also you can buy it in specialty stores with baking supplies . It is packaged in the same way as baking powder - I buy dr oetker's brand .

If you will not be able to buy it in the store , here is a simple recipe for making vanilla sugar :)

I hope it helps :)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24170,00.html

Pain

Sorry to bother all of you but does anyone have recipe for Apple Crisp w/ Oatmeal on top with pecans? I didn't see in any of recipes posted. Thanks

Sometimes I do this simple dessert because its so good and simple:

Peel and core 5 apples and and cut into 1/8th pieces.....cut apple in 1/2...cut one of the pieces in 1/2 and then one of those pieces in 1/2.

Put the apples in a saucepan on med-low heat.......sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg to taste. Cook till the apples are tender.

This is really good served by itself or serve it on top of icecream.

Paula said:
texasgirl hmm... how to explain it , in Canada ,where we live, it is available in grocery stores , also you can buy it in specialty stores with baking supplies . It is packaged in the same way as baking powder - I buy dr oetker's brand .

If you will not be able to buy it in the store , here is a simple recipe for making vanilla sugar :)

I hope it helps :)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24170,00.html

Thanks Paula!!:)

In the Kitchen said:
Sorry to bother all of you but does anyone have recipe for Apple Crisp w/ Oatmeal on top with pecans? I didn't see in any of recipes posted. Thanks

This one doesn't have pecans, but, it's good and you could probably add chopped pecans to the crumb topping or sprinkle them on top.

http://www.recipezaar.com/82925

texasgirl

thanks. I will add what I think would go with it. I knew the oatmeal just made it taste so good when I once fixed it. do appreciate.

Had a special treat today when we saw show in Discovery Channel about Flight 93 on Sept ll. It was supposed to be hijacked by some terrorists and son recognized the voice as that of Keifer Sutherland. Told me I should have been the one to notice first. He does have good voice. Very interesting how they made everything seem the way it was. That is the way I hope I react if something going to make us a target for a building is to put up a fight. Famous last words, 'Let's roll'. Everybody should remember that.

Back
Top Bottom