Well lookie what I saw at Walmart today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this is a great way to deliver medicine from a pharmacy. Meds are generally not very heavy.

That was my thought watching these drones the other day. I could not think of anything else they could carry.

CD

Spell check and big brother.... I was once telling my daughter the verbal translation of a name can sometimes be hilarious.
Then we said something about being idiotic and the reply was "George" - the name of my first ex.
We just could not stop laughing! For the life of me I cannot think how anything remotely sounded like a question or otherwise to bring up that name.

It won’t be long before a commercial pilot
is just some kid in his underwear sitting at a terminal in his parents basement.

1710443584143.jpeg

I think it is fair to say that drone deliveries are not going to replace all deliveries. You can't deliver to a flat (apartment/condo) no matter what the item is. And in cities, you really can't have the air filled with these things all trying to avoid each other as they zoom around under and over telephone lines... it would be chaos. However, for delivering vital items in more remote areas, maybe there is a long term use for them? If it is financially viable for the operators then they will use it I reckon. Meanwhile, I don't expect a drone delivery to my house in the UK any time soon.

My sons both work for an extremely large package transport company. They are package recovery agents. Remind me to tell ya'll what really happens to your lost packages... Anyway when I showed them this article they both laughed. If this was feasible in anyway.. Big Brown(UPS), DHL, and FedEx would have all added this to their fleets. Some info that is not that secret ... Bezos (Mr. Amazon) did a secret trial using drones to deliver and let's just say... It didn't work out too well... LOL

Drones are more suited for military and law enforcement purposes. I guess delivering medical supplies quickly to remote places is a good fit too...

The USA becoming a George Jetson world not so much...

That's what they CAN do, but not necessarily what they WILL do.

Dropping a package on a small front porch like mine would definitely require a person guiding the drone. Google Maps knows where my house is, but not where the front door is. Even with someone looking through a camera, one small move would be the difference between a successful delivery, and crashing a drone into my door or a brick wall.

Besides, what is the point of drone delivery is you still have to pay a human to control the drone? And, what's the point in drone delivery if it can only carry a couple of pounds?

Technology is not always perfect. Look at how many times spell-check on computers has changed the entire meaning of a sentence because it thought you spelled something wrong.

CD
Drones can fly over heavy traffic, they don't have to pay tolls and they can carry medicine, for example. I don't know what their weight limit is, but I'd guess it will improve over time.

My husband's car has a sensor that knows when another car is too close and it slows the car down. I imagine a drone uses the same technology to prevent crashes.

I also imagine that if someone's front door is too difficult to find, the buyer could specify when ordering where it should leave a package.

You can't deliver to a flat (apartment/condo) no matter what the item is.
You know, with a bit more programming, drones probably could deliver to balconies. There could even be a small device that one put on the balcony that could broadcast a reply to a signal saying that the drone was bringing a package. Then the drone could home in on the device and drop the package on the balcony.

Drones can fly over heavy traffic, they don't have to pay tolls and they can carry medicine, for example. I don't know what their weight limit is, but I'd guess it will improve over time.

My husband's car has a sensor that knows when another car is too close and it slows the car down. I imagine a drone uses the same technology to prevent crashes.

I also imagine that if someone's front door is too difficult to find, the buyer could specify when ordering where it should leave a package.

I believe right now that the FAA limits them to 55 pounds with cargo.

A lot of cars have that self-stop technology now. Mine does. I even have adaptive cruise control, and I love it. But, I still keep my foot ready to hit the brakes if I need to. Would you intentionally drive toward a brick wall with your foot off the brake and trust that technology to stop your car? Even at 10 MPH... or less? I certainly don't have that much faith in the technology.

Drones have a lot of really great uses. I'd love to have one to add to my commercial photography service offerings. I just need to do my homework, pick a drone to buy, check with my insurance company to make sure I'm covered, learn to use my drone, register it with the FAA... and most of all, make sure I can make money with it.

Again, I'm not trashing drones. This drone show happened about two miles from my house. It was breathtaking...

I just don't see drones being practical for delivering groceries/packages to homes in town, where there are roads, and a person can deliver anything from a McD's lunch to a 52-inch flat screen TV, and walk to the door, and ring the doorbell. Maybe in the future?

CD

I recently bought a nice, newer (but not new) car and it constantly beeps and warns me about things. The first time it took control (good thing, I was about to back into someone), I nearly crapped my pants.

Technology is scarily super evolved.

I recently bought a nice, newer (but not new) car and it constantly beeps and warns me about things.

Technology is scarily super evolved.

My driveway is narrow and has brick walls on either side. I have to turn off the back-up camera and warning system to back out of my driveway, or listen to a symphony of beeps.

1710474182038.jpeg

CD

I dislike machines/computers talking to me / beeping / dinging / buzzing . . .

my computer sound is off. because of spam, the phone default ring is "silence" - if I like you I'll assign a non-default ringtone in contacts . . .

driving down the road, sudden the car starts beeping to "warn" you - and while you're staring at the dashboard trying to figure out what the beeping is about - you crash into the thing the car was warning you about . . .

I dislike machines/computers talking to me / beeping / dinging / buzzing . . .

my computer sound is off. because of spam, the phone default ring is "silence" - if I like you I'll assign a non-default ringtone in contacts . . .

driving down the road, sudden the car starts beeping to "warn" you - and while you're staring at the dashboard trying to figure out what the beeping is about - you crash into the thing the car was warning you about . . .
I agree.

I don’t mind if the car does the driving or lets me do the driving but I really don’t like the idea of me and the car second guessing each other.

then, in future, may I suggest? Instead of looking at your dash, look outside for any dangers. None seen? then you can look at the dash.

I agree.

I don’t mind if the car does the driving or lets me do the driving but I really don’t like the idea of me and the car second guessing each other.

There's no way I want to ride in a self-driving car on actual public roadways. But, when I see people texting and driving (everyday), I do wonder if they would be safer in a self driving car.

On a side note, I was doing a photoshoot of a classic 1930s Cord 810 in a beautiful park on a lovely evening. As I was doing that, the owner of the car grabbed me and told me to look around at the people -- "they are all looking down at their smart phones." He was right. A beautiful evening in the park, and they were are all texting. What's wrong with these people?

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom