"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 04-21-2004, 10:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Blueberry Favourites

I've got 4 cups of frozen, hand-picked blueberries that I'd like to try something with. Any favourites? I usually make a crisp but a little variety might be good :) Thanks!

Old 04-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
Head Chef

How about a Dutch Baby with Blueberry compote? Sounds really good to me...if you make it I will come! :D

Old 04-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Dutch Baby...sounds great!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of a Dutch Baby, which just goes to show you what a junior member I am :), and just for that reason I can hardly wait to try it! I'm on to new cooking horizons!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Blueberry muffins are always a favourite of mine, or blueberries lightly cooked in some water and sugar, and then used as a sauce over pancakes and icecream, yum!
Old 04-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
Senior Cook

BLUEBERRY PANCAKES!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #6
Cook

blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup and fresh blueberries and whipped cream and, what the hell, more blueberries on the side!

Blueberries, rasberries, strawberries - I think I need help. Little too passionate about the berries. :?
My mother used to wonder why she would see under-ripe and sometimes overripe but never pefect rasberries on her bushes. I was only about three when I learned the joys of that freshly picked perfect fruit. I never let one get past!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I LOVE blueberries and their wild ancestor, huckleberries. They are free for the picking here and we load up. I also love blackberries which can be had not too far from my home.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
Head Chef

Hold on to your skillet pearl...here you go!

Dutch Babies

Preheat oven to 425

2 - 3 qt baking dish
1/4C Butter
3 eggs
3/4 C milk
3/4 C flour

Melt butter in baking dish in oven (do not brown)

In a blender combine eggs and milk, with blender running add flour slowly (unless you like to wear it). Do not turn blender off until butter is melted and you're ready to pour.

Pour batter into hot baking dish (around the middle is best) and bake 25 - 30 minutes. The sides puff up beautifully!

Serve immediately with any toping you like from savory to sweet - or the old standard...powdered sugar and lemon juice.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Berries continued

Thanks all for the inspiring ideas. I live in Abbotsford, British Columbia. Other than a horrible outbreak of avian flu (19 million chickens being destroyed and composted!!), our claim to fame is "Raspberry Capital of Canada". Summers here are wonderful. We are loaded with all kinds of berries...raspberry, blueberry, strawberry...I'd love to try a huckleberry, though!

And thanks, Lindatoo, for the Dutch Baby recipe. I'm going to try it today :D Abbotsford is also famous for its Dutch heritage with a large Dutch farming community (mostly dairy). Sounds like the perfect match for me!
Cheers
Old 05-12-2004, 12:39 PM   #10
Everymom

OK, I realize this is a little late, but I am a huge blueberry pie fan. Just remember to add a couple tablespoons of lemon juice to the filling to give it zap. Serve with fresh farm cream and you are as close to heaven as you can get.

Tags
None