Boiled custard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman1

Senior Cook
Lastly but not leastly I tried to make boiled custard for my moms for christmas , she made it for me as a kid and even when i wasnt a kid, until I finally tried to make it a couple of years ago.I got the flavor right , about a dozen egg yolks, no whites, I had thoughts of whipping the whites to make that foamy stuff that she used to put on top of it, about 2 cups of sugar, 2 cans of condensed milk and 2 cans of whole milk,
I mixed the sugar and the egg yolks together real well and called myself tempering them but mixing them and then heating it in a put before i added it to the double boiler. After about 30 mins of stirring i got sick of it and added about 3 tablespoons of corn starch by dipping out about 2 cups of goo into a bowl whisking frantically with the boat motor and then pouring the result back into the batch.
Like I said the the flavor was great. It was about as thick is buttermilk, maybe, it was thicker than whole milk,i found all my corn starch at the bottom of the bowl when I was putting it into jars, to give to my mom.
When i gave it to her over dinner, at my aunt's.... that was when they decided to tell me,that you mix the corn starch with the sugar before you put it into the eggs.... and chided me about trying to be so smart :)

Back
Top Bottom