"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I just had a great idea....what you could do is...

Pipe out your design in the shape of the full cylinder(sketch out the full size of the cylinder in light pencil) on parchment and then as the chocolate sets up you can wrap it around the cylinder....I bet that would work very well...i did something like that back in culinary school to pull something off...

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: The Chocolate Connoisseur's Home Base

Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Thanks for the tips robert. I think what I will try first is to wrap parchment around the cylinder, pipe my chocolate and let it set, then slide the parchment paper off, and peel the parchment away from the chocolate. I only hope its not too delicate and breaks when i peel the parchment away.

I had the same idea about piping out my design on flat parchment and then rolling it around the cylinder. I think that may turn out to be the better idea because it will be MUCH easier to pipe out my designand once i get used to rolling it around the cylinder, it will turn out very nicely. I might have time to try this out again tomorrow, and if I manage to pull it off I'll be sure to post pics.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Head Chef

OK- I just made another attempt, using the method of wrapping parchment around my cylinders, and then trying to peel the parchment away after the chocolate had set.

The shapes went on beautifully, the chocolate set properly, but when I tried to remove the parchment, the tower broke. Because the pipes are so thin they break pretty easily. This sort of makes me wonder if I can do this by piping on flat parchment and then rolling it, b/c I think it would break then as well. The only other thing that might work is if I make the pipes closer together, which might help reinforce the structure.

So its back to the drawing board folks, I need some ideas on how to make this shape possible. The good news is that my chocolate is holding up wonderfully at room temp. So any ideas on how to pipe out that structure are welcomed and encouraged!
Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #14
Head Chef

I got it to work! Finally!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #15
Senior Cook

There ya go! Great job...doesn't it feel great to finally figure something out in the culinary world...so much to learn and have fun with...great job!

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: The Chocolate Connoisseur's Home Base
Old 02-21-2007, 11:29 AM   #16
Head Chef

It's not pretty yet, but hey, I'll take it. I seem to have unearthed a passion for fancy plated desserts as of late, and I have the feeling I'll be making more of these, so I'll get plenty of practice1

I accomplished it by greasing the inside of my cylinder, then filling with the mousse and freezing it. Then I cut out a strip of parchment the same height as the mold, and piped chocolate in intersecting lines. Finally, I removed the frozen mousse from the cylinder and simply rolled it up in the parchment, and the chocolate set up as I went along.

After that I just had to peel back the parchment, and let the mosse thaw in the fridge until it was ready to serve. Topped it with Grand Marnier marninated strawberries, and a bit of strawberry coulis and a strawberry fan to garnish.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to tsi88kid
that looks so good man!!! but what I was thinking the entire time is if you pipe out the chocolate onto the cylinder,balloon, mold whatever wouldnt it run?
Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
Head Chef

TSI- You have to wait until the chocolate gets to a certain temperature before you pipe it; the point at which it's very thick because it's close to becoming the temperature it will set at, but liquid enough that it's workable. I try to pipe at around 82 or 83 degrees. Piping at anything about 90, and maybe lower, will definitely result in very runny chocolate that is difficult to work with.

Actually, chocolate is always difficult to work with.. what a finicky ingredient! But I have to say it does feel good when you can create something using chocolate as a medium.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
I got it to work! Finally!

ImageShack - Hosting :: dscn1207eb7.jpg
this is really nice, college_cook. Now hand it over...........
Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Head Chef

lol- The mousse actually didn't turn out quite like I had anticipated.. the flavor was really subtle, which is good for a mousse, except that the Grand Marnier marinated strawberries really just trumped the flavor of the mousse. The texture was really great though, very light and airy, which I was happy about because it was the first time I had ever used gelatin for a mousse.

Tags
None