"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-19-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Christmas German Stollen - comments please?

Hello everyone.

I am baking a German style Christmas stollen. I will describe it, and if anybody has any comments, or suggestions for improvement, please post them here.

It will be yeast and white flour, and dried appricots which i will soak in orange and rum liquer i made last year, sugar and cinimen(excuse spelling). In the center will be a sausage shaped piece of marzipan, so when sliced, there will be a round piece of marzipan, in the middle of each slice.
On the top, i will put a caramel and or burn butter glazing, which i saw in another thread, on this forum.

Mel

Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I'm sure it will be lovely. How could it be anything else with marzipan?!

Do you have a recipe you're modifying? Can you post it?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Cook

yes, please post recipe.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I dont have an actual recipe. Like most dishes, i only loosely follow receipes, and sometimes just make up the receipes myself.
I am trying to copy the stollens they sell in the bakeries here, at Christmas. Maybe, even add my own touches.
I think butter would also be good, in the stollen. I will mix it in with the flour yeast, fruit, alchol and sugar and cinnemon. Like making pastry. Then i will add warm water, until i can form one lump, like when making bread. Then into a warm oven 50C, for an hour or more, until it hopefully doubles in size.
Then i will flatten it a little, so i can roll the marzipan up inside it.
Then bake at 220C, same as i do with bread, until it looks baked.
Then, while still hot, i will put the glaz on. In the bakeries, they usually just coat the stollens in powder sugar, but i think a glaze might be nicer.
Well, that is how i think they are made, but if anybody has suggestions, for improvement, just go ahead and post them.

Mel
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I made mine with the help of my German connection on this forum, Cara and Floridagirl and it came out really good, better than the one we buy from Lidl!! Here is the thread and detailed recipe.

I think good butter, marzipan and resting time are some of the keys.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:35 PM   #6
Senior Cook

yuramaniac13 - great link above. gonna go for this one for sure! thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 04:38 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Thanks Urmaniac!!!!

Mel
Old 12-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You're welcome guys!! Hope you will enjoy it... worth every bit of effort!!

Froehliche Weihnachten!!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Senior Cook

i went ahead with floridagirl's stollen recipe in urmaniac13's link above, although i made a few minor changes due to having or not having some ingredients at hand. it's quite good! heartily endorsed!

the minor alterations i made were in the fruit and almond paste departments.

i keep a large glass jar (about 1/2 gallon?) of dried fruits soaked in brandy that i use for fruitcakes, panettone, etc. it generally has about equal amounts of candied lemon peel, candied orange peel, dried cranberries and vine fruits like sultanas or currants. from time to time other fruits like pineapple, papaya or mango, persimmon, etc. creep in. i used about a pound of soaked fruit in all.

although i had almonds on hand, being the lazy kind of guy i am, i didn't feel like getting out the grinder and bringing some sugar to the softball stage to make almond paste for the middle. nor did i feel like taking the train for an hour and a half one-way to get some. what i did use was some pecans to go into the dough, and some marron glace (candied chestnuts)which i had just been given, for the center. mooshed (sorry for the obscure technical term) between the fingers, the texture is quite similar to almond paste. this was a great hit, as substitues go.

i was thinking that the recipe would make 2 stollen, but i wound up with 3 large ones.

therefore, i was forced to start in on one while it was still warm from the oven.
wow!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I am glad your stollen came out as a success!! Although marzipan (almond paste) is one of the typical and essential ingredients for a stollen, your improvisation sounds interesting, I particularly like the marron glaces idea! yum!!

As for us, a friend of ours found a fledgling german chef for her boyfriend when she went to Germany this past summer and brought him back to Rome. He is still here and made us a wonderful hunk of stollen... lucky us!!

Tags
None