"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #11
Head Chef

I found out by experience that you need to freeze soft foods before using the food saver.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Here's my peanut butter cookies. We would send these to my cousin when he was in the Marines & they shipped very well. We would line a shoe box with bubble wrap, then wrap the cookies individualy in plastic wrap, & pack them in the box pretty tightly & top it off with a layer of bubble wrap.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 1/4C. flour
1/4teaspoon salt
1/4teaspoon baking soda
1/2C. butter or margarine, softened
1/2C. peanut butter
1/2C. granulated sugar
1/2C. brown sugar
1 egg
Combine flour, salt, & baking soda, & set aside. In large mixing bowl, mix butter & peanut butter until well blended ; add granulated & brown sugar, mixing well, & beat in egg. Stir flour mixture into peanut butter mixture until well blended. Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet; flatten with a fork, & sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 375 deg. for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
What about sending rice crispy treats? They seem to be indestructable.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I would think 7-layer cookies also travel well. Good for those of you doing this.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the Peanut Butter Cookie recipe (looks really yummy!) and all of the other ideas!

I thought about Rice Krispy treats too. How do you think the marshmallow would survive the heat? I don't have a lot of experience with marshmallows, so I'm clueless!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I think we're baking this weekend, so I'll have to let you know.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #17
Master Chef

My daughter used to make peanut butter Rice Krispi Treats, and they were delicious.
I'm afraid they would melt and get all gooey in that heat, though. My step-grandson, recently back from Iraq, talked about temperatures of 130 degrees.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:31 PM   #18
Master Chef

I was a sailor for ten years and served aboard 2 seperate aircraft carriers. I received care packages from my wife. I usually gave the cookies away. The things I hoarded for myself were the peperoni sticks (usually 2 of them), and the Cadbury Candy bars, Caramello (my all time favorite), Fruit & Nut, and Milk Chocolate. I couldn't get them aboard ship. I could get cookies from the mess deck if I so desired them. Send something he loves, like well aged cheese, or his favorite candy bars, or something unique to him. Of course, if there is a special cookie that he just loves, by all means, securely wrap, and then imobilize them in packing material. My wife used to use the cheap already popped popcorn that comes in large plastic bags. It makes excellent protection against damage. But it has to fill the box completely, and surround everything.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None