"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 01-06-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Favorite dessert, I think you ought to post

recipe for it here for all of us to enjoy and maybe even, make.

Mine......
This has got to be it..
using the **crock pot at it's best!

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MESS

1 box chocolate (with chocolate pudding included) cake mix
12 one ounce packages of cream cheese softened
1 large box dry chocolate pudding
1 large bag chocolate morsels
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup cola

**5 quart crock pot with removeable crock that can be taken out, is really strongly advised. Never have done this in the 3 quart Rival I have.

Rub down the inside of crock pot with butter all the way around and on the bottom. Mix all igredients. Pour into crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8½ hours.
YOU MUST NOT LET YOURSELF BE TEMPTED TO REMOVE THE LID UNTIL THE TIME IS UP. Don't start checking it before the 6 hour mark.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or alone!

Now, what's yours?

Old 01-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I have tons of favorite deserts, that's not fair I'm a pie/tart lover more than a cake lover. I love cheesecakes too.. and chocolate (obviously). So I'll post this last one I had, combing all my favorite things:

Chocolate and Vanilla Swirled Cheesepie: (Hersheys.com)
Ingredients:
2 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 extra serving-size packaged crumb crust (9 oz.)
1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup milk
Red raspberry jam (optional)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in mixer bowl until well blended. Add eggs; mix thoroughly. Spread 2 cups batter in crumb crust.
3. Place chocolate chips in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth when stirred. Cool slightly. Add chocolate and milk to remaining batter; blend thoroughly. Drop chocolate batter by tablespoonfuls onto vanilla batter. Gently swirl with knife for marbled effect.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool; refrigerate several hours or overnight. Drizzle with warmed red raspberry jam, if desired. Cover; refrigerate leftovers. 8 servings.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Lefse, my husband would eat all 5 quarts of this, giving thanks to you all the time!

I guess the favorite that I make is my Killer Cheesecake, posted some months ago under this same topic and title.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

OK, here is mine, its alot of work but it is worth it!

French Silk Pie

Pie Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter

Pie Filling:
1 cup unsalted butter (chilled)
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs

Whipped Cream and Chocolate Topping:
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate
6 tablespoons hershey chocolate syrup

Crust:
Make crumbs out of the graham crackers (about 12- 15 crackers) until you have fine crumbs. Mix crust ingredients in a mixing bowl with a mixer on low speed, hands or a fork, until you have a consitancy of course meal. Press into a 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 8- 10 minutes.

Filling:
With an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar. If the butter starts to break down and seperate rechill for 5- 15 minutes. Add the cooled chocolate and measured vanilla. Add one egg at a time beating for 5 minutes in between (this is 'silk' pie afterall). After the last egg the mixture should be VERY smooth. Move the mixture into the graham cracker pie crust.

Topping:
Whip cream until it just starts to stiffen. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat until peaks form and hold. Top the pie with the whipped cream.
Drizzle the chocolate syrup on top of the pie in a random pattern.
Grate the unsweetened chocolate on top of the pie.

Finishing:
Chill the pie for 3- 24 hours.

enjoy!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Can't remember if I've posted this before, but here goes again! This is so rich and creamy, and even tho the recipe calls it a 'custard', it's more like a reallly dense pudding -

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE CUSTARD

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder (recommended: Dutch-process)
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
3 cups whole milk
3 cups half-and-half
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 ounces white chocolate, chopped

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. In a thin stream, whisk in the milk until smooth. In a thin stream, whisk in the half-and-half until smooth. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a saucepan. Over medium heat, whisking the mixture constantly, bring to a boil. Boil gently for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the bittersweet chocolate and vanilla. Fill a large bowl with ice cubes, rest the saucepan on top, and add cold water to cover the ice cubes. Let the mixture cool, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Fold in the white chocolate and pour the mixture into 1-cup ramekins, cups, or mugs. Refrigerate until well chilled. The recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance. Serve cold.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

marmalady, that sounds good! I agree though, that is more of a pudding, no eggs so its not a custard. I think I may try this soon.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
This is one of my favorites. A may make one this afternoon since I have everything for it.

Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 3hrs. 25min.
Prep: 15min.
Cook: 2hrs. 30min.
Cool: 40min.
(Total time will vary with appliance & setting)

1C. all purpose flour
1/2C. granulated sugar
2Tbsp. baking cocoa
2tsp. baking powder
1/2tsp. salt
1/2C. milk
2Tbsp. vegetable oil
1tsp. vanilla
1/2C. chopped nuts(optional)
3/4C. packed brown sugar
1/4C. baking cocoa
1 1/2C. hot water

Spray inside of 2 to 3 1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2Tbsp. cocoa, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil, & vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.

Mix brown sugar & 1/4C. cocoa in small bowl. Stir in hot water until smooth. Pour evenly over batter in slow cooker.

Cover & cook on high heat setting 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours or unti toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn off slow cooker. Let cake stand uncovered 30-40 minutes to cool slightly before serving. Spoon warm cake into dessert dishes. Spoon sauce over top. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I am so thankful you all found this thread. I knew it'd be moved to here and voi la, it has been.

These desserts sound like heaven on earth.
I am copying them all for when my dang kitchen is done, and I have the worlds biggest celebration, I'll have to decide which of them to make.

I am a pie lover too.
Much more so than a cake eater.
But cake is good and I won't turn down a piece of it.

Keep'em comin now!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Notice how manyof them are chocolate, too!

This is one of my fave pies -

Pear and Almond Tart

1 prepared pie crust
1/2 cup almond paste (half of an 8-ounce can)
3 ripe Bosc pears, peeled, cored and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk or whipping cream

Optional Almond Crunch Topping

1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup crystallized ginger

Preheat oven to 325 degrees on convection bake. Place the pie crust in a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom and trim to fit pan. Crumble almond paste over bottom. Arrange pears decoratively on top of almond paste.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, egg, flour, vanilla and buttermilk. Pour over tart. Prepare optional Almond Crunch Topping by combining ingredients in a food processor, pulsing several times to coarsely chop the almonds and ginger. Sprinkle over top of pears. Or, omit the topping and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.

Bake tart for 45 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Tart also can be refrigerated and served cold.

Makes 1 tart.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I buy a lot of bananas, and I have a lot of them get over ripe, so I make a lot of banana bread. I have a basic recipe for the banana bread, then I add different things to provide variety and make it interesting and/or unusual.

Basic Banand Bread

3 over ripe bananas, smashed
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all puprose flour
1/2 cup turbanado sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and sugar a glass loaf pan. Mix the bananas and eggs together in the kitchen-aid. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together, add to banana and egg mixturre, and beat until smooth.

Then I will add any kind of nuts; sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, chopped pecans, chopped macadamias, or mixed macadamias and cahsews. For something different, I will skip the nuts and add some type of fruit that compliments banana, such as diced strawberries or chopped dates. I especailly enjoy serving these with an omelette or a fritatta for brunch.

Tags
None