"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

How to finish cake?

So I'm making a cake and I'm totally stumped as to how to finish it.

Basically, it's a combination of a chocolate hazelnut sponge, walnut coffee buttercream, and caramel filling. It's all layered into a large bowl (like a charlotte) that's basically a hemisphere with a flat top (like a volcano). It will be frozen and then unmolded.

I just can't think of how to finish the thing. I could glaze it with chocolate ganache, but that's just boring, and besides, I don't really want it to be a chocolate dessert. I want chocolate to be kept to a minimum and to let the caramel and walnut and coffee speak for themselves.

But now I don't know how to finish. I can sprinkle with ground walnut, but that just seems like it will be messy and ugly. Piping borders is not very practical with a hemisphere, so I'm not crazy about that idea. I could top it with an Italian meringue and blowtorch it, but again, I'm not sure that's going to look much better than just leaving it uncovered, and I think the meringue might make the taste cloying.

Can anyone think of a coffee or walnut themed topping or any glaze / topping that will compliment the ingredients and still look slick and classy? Simple is best.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Everymom

Wow. Tough one. What about sprinkling a design on it with espresso? I can see what you are looking for, but I'm not feeling terribly creative at the moment. Hopefully Laurie will swing by with some great ideas.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Wow. Tough one. What about sprinkling a design on it with espresso?

I like that idea. It works with the coffee theme, but I'm just not sure how to do it. Do I just dust it on and hope for the best? Do I go for some kind of pattern?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Everymom

I'd find a nice doily (paper one) and put that on the cake then shake the espresso powder over that. Gently lift the doily and the design should be there.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I don't know... I can't really cover the whole cake with a dolly. It would only be the top, right?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

The espresso idea is a good one.

I have a caramel mousse recipe that I can PM you. It is very light and wouldn't take away from the flavours of the cake. You could "ice" it with that and sprinkle some chopped toasted walnuts and espresso powder.

Let me know. I just remembered I owe Barbara L. the recipe so I will start typing it out!

Your cake sounds wonderful by the way!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I am not the best at comming up with ideas for decorating cakes, but i will try and help.

How about you put another layer of buttercream on top. It could be same flavor one you made before, or maybe a similar one with a little variation. I know I can never have too much buttercream on a cake for my tastes. What about a simple carmel chocolate sauce. Maybe don't cover the whole cake with the chocolate carmel sauce, just pipe a cool design out of it.

If I come up with any ideas I will share them. Not sure if they are good ideas, but I might come up with one good one.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Do you need a topping or can you just add some garnishes? Maybe some sugar designs, or tuile, or maybe even some cool chocolate decorations. You can mix in some coloring to make the chocolate decorations different colors.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
Everymom

jasonr, a big enough doily will cover the whole cake, top and sides. Try the dollar store, they have all sizes.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Wow. Tough one. What about sprinkling a design on it with espresso? I can see what you are looking for, but I'm not feeling terribly creative at the moment. Hopefully Laurie will swing by with some great ideas.
What a great idea! You might cut the espresso powder 1/3 with sifted confectioners sugar. You can use a shaker to get the stuff on the sides, and cut a circle from a lacy doily and shake the mixture through that for the top.

Or, you could frost it with Kahlua Whipped Cream.

Tags
None