"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 PM   #1
Head Chef

I'm so mad...

i love making pies,but i always have problem rolling out the dough,it starts breaking up at the corners,or it becomes so hard i cant roll it out enough,and always end up having it short for the pie pan,i've even tried ready made pie mixes,but no luck so far....can anyone help me make a perfect pie crust?

Old 11-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I hate to admit it, but I use Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust -
it is really flaky and easy to use....really!

Now I have a feeling that Audeo will come up with something perfectly wonderful, followed by Norskog with an organic one,
and then Konditor will give us the recipe that even Emeril wishes he had, as well as the origin...and we will all be truly amazed.

Let's hope they are all sleeping so they don't see my shortcut!

Old 11-15-2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=5176

Sarah, I found a thread on here about making pie crusts. I hope this helps you some! I'm like jkath & use the refrigerated ones.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

thanks crewsk,i think i'm gonna try those methods,lets hope they work...
Old 11-15-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I hate to admit it, but I use Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust -
it is really flaky and easy to use....really!

Now I have a feeling that Audeo will come up with something perfectly wonderful, followed by Norskog with an organic one,
and then Konditor will give us the recipe that even Emeril wishes he had, as well as the origin...and we will all be truly amazed.

Let's hope they are all sleeping so they don't see my shortcut!
hey i've never used that crust,is it good? maybe i should try that one too...hushhhh,dont tell anyone...
Old 11-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Hey..... YOUR pissed!? I just found out that the Chicago O'Hare Airport expansion plan will be over the building Im living in! :x They are trying to annex the CITY I live in! HOW CAN THEY DO THAT!!!!!!!????????
Old 11-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
My flaky pie crust is usually made with pastry flour, but I can NEVER find it in small amounts anymore. I used to have a formula to make pastry flour from blending bread and cake flours, but I found that to be excessive. If I don't have pastry flour, I use AP flour. Pastry flour is the best for pie dough, but AP works just dandy as well. :D

By the way, this dough has to be rested at least 6 to 8 hours in the fridge before rolling it out. I always make mine the day before I intend to use it.

FLAKY PIE DOUGH

20 oz Flour, Sifted

14 oz of REALLY COLD UNSALTED Butter, cubed up pretty large. (3 and a 1/2 sticks.)

1 oz of Sugar

1 teaspoon of Kosher Salt

7 oz of REALLY COLD water.

Dissolve the sugar and salt in the water. Keep the water mixture in the fridge. Cube up the butter and keep it in the fridge. Sift the flour into your mixing bowl. With a paddle going, drop the butter in the flour in about 3 additions. Paddle till the butter has broken down into smaller chunks. (Chunks of butter is what we are looking for.) When there, add the water mixture and paddle till dough comes together when pinched. Do not overwork, and DO NOT CREAM THE BUTTER. If no chunks of butter are in the dough, the crust will not flake.

Wrap, chill, roll, boom.

It should roll out pretty darn nice. One more piece of advice I can lend you is to roll the dough BACK onto the rolling pin after it has been rolled out. This way you can unroll it nicely on top of your baking dish without tearing it. Neato, huh?

RJ
Old 11-16-2004, 02:58 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Hey..... YOUR pissed!? I just found out that the Chicago O'Hare Airport expansion plan will be over the building Im living in! :x They are trying to annex the CITY I live in! HOW CAN THEY DO THAT!!!!!!!????????
Does that mean that they have to pay you a lot of money to leave?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 AM   #9
Head Chef

As frustrated as I get, I keep trying to make my own, and sometimes I do a good job. :) And sometimes I do a lousy job. :(

In the event of a bad job, I use Marie Callenders frozen crusts, and no one would know I didn't make it myself. They are great. I've also used Pillsbury but prefer the MC.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #10
Head Chef

Jkath, I'm highly complimented by the inclusion there! Let's just say your kindness and generosity is exceeded only by your extreme good looks! (An old family quip...and true in your case!)

Thanks, crewsk for excavating the earlier thread that I hope will answer Sarah's questions, or at least offer some thoughts as she tries her next crust. I don't remember if it was stated there or not, but one is fighting the formation of gluten in pie crusts, hence the resting/chilling period after mixing. And mixing, itself, is done as little as possible. As Ardge offered in his recipe, it is critically important that all ingredients are as cold as possible, especially when making a butter-based crust. And I will put all ingredients and everything, including the bowl and pastry blender, into the fridge to chill.

When mixing, I definately do not want the butter perfectly incorporated into the flour, preferring instead little clumps here and there that will streak out when rolling. And when adding water, I add just enough (ice water, by the way) to allow the dough to hold together when I squeeze a bit in my hand. It still looks dry and never forms a "ball" on its own volition. When it just begins to hold together, I dump the mass onto a board, scoop it gently into a round, flat wafer-shaped glob about 6 inches in diameter, wrap it in lots of plastic and toss it into the fridge to chill thoroughly and to relax.

When I roll out the dough, I prefer to do so on a floured (lightly so) board, instead of between waxed paper, etc., so that I can lift the dough and take quarter turns to keep it round and, moreover, to keep the dough from sticking and stretching and (later therefore) shrinking in the pan.

Having said all that...(is anyone looking here? Good!)

I've used the pillsbury ready crusts before when in a pinch and they served me well! They produced a nice, flaky crust, but I tend to make deep-dish pies more often that not, and they just don't give me enough dough to work with, unless I roll them paper-thin and that defeats my purpose entirely. I also make a lot of turnovers and occasional meat pies, so making my own dough gives me the ability to adjust the crust for sweet and savory uses. The ready-made crusts are, indeed, quite tasty and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, if that gets people making pies!

After years of miserable failures and occasional victories, I finally settled long ago on the recipe I use every time now and know what to expect from it to achieve consistent results. I'm sure, sarah, that you'll do the same until you find a recipe and method that works best for you! Just keep practicing!

Tags
None