Making Our Wedding Cake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomorrow we're going to try Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Chocolate Feather Bed" cake on page 273 in her book "Rose's Heavenly Cakes"!

Pictures to come...

uh oh...take care of yourself so you're good enough to do an irish jig or two on your wedding day. Loved the youtube of your fiddlers...fun! and your chocolate cake pic is awesome.

This pic is just a heads up :LOL:
...and on a more serious note,
the next one is just a pretty cake I liked.
It looks like a soft satin ribbon but is
probably ganache.

Attachments

• weddingcake-squirrel.jpg
    weddingcake-squirrel.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 298
  • wedding_cake.jpg
    wedding_cake.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 203
I saw once on food network an engagement cake challenge The winner had each tire with a different flavor (lemon and raspberry / coffee and chocolate ...cant remember the rest)

this was his design

engagement.jpg

I made a cake like that for my niece's wedding. The structure took my husband a total of 9 hours to build. They must have done that ahead of time.

Nick, I hope your ankle is better - how is the cake testing coming?

Whoops, the thread slipped by a bit - sorry 'bout that!
-----
mollyanne - Love the squirrel! :LOL:
-----
Number 18 - Looks like it must have a pretty serious under-frame/support!
We're still pondering the actual construction of our cake.
-----
Cake testing has been going well, with half a dozen trials and a few pounds added to our waistlines... :pig:

We've been cooking through "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" from various sections, and also finding inspiration from other cookbooks we have.

In my head I wanted a butter-based cake, but not being a baker I was way off the mark. We have found near-perfection (for our desires) in a modified version of Rose's base Genoise, which uses the cocoa butter in lot's of melted chocolate to substitute for the traditional melted butter. We have replaced certain ingredients however, substituting fresh italian-roast espresso for her fluids, and some brown sugar for white (bringing a hint of molasses).

The net result is a moist and airy sponge cake with a little crumb that is just loaded with coffee and chocolate flavor. We make our mochas every morning with a teaspoon of brown sugar, so the molasses is our spin I guess.

We're working on the syrup now that is traditionally brushed on genoise to increase it's flavor and moisture even further... I can't imagine. We're considering doing an "Adult" layer that will include a bit of coffee liqueur in the syrup - perhaps some Kahlua or Bailey's.
-----
On a side note, we're considering serving a homemade ice cream or gelato on the side infused with a bit of lavender. It will be made ahead, so it won't pose any additional time constraints. I recently picked up Mario Batali's new book which is spectacular (one of the only food network chefs that I own books from). One of his pastry chefs gave up all her gelato recipes!

Last edited:
Hi Nick, glad that your cake baking is going well for you, sorry to hear about your waistlines... :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Since you and your finance seem to really like your coffee have you considered doing a tiramisu cake using your genoise??? You could then make a mocha buttercream frosting...
Just a thought... :):):)

Mimiz - Tiramisu is certainly an inspiration for our cake, although we're attempting to incorporate a deep chocolate flavor as the primary component. The coffee is kind of like Watson to the Chocolate Sherlock.
-----
Still researching syrups to glaze our Genoise with. Frostings will be next.

Nick, I have Collette Peters' (a renound cake artist) mocha buttercream that is to die for. Actually the base buttercream is awesome and you can adapt it well to other flavours. It is a meringue based buttercream so it holds up well to sitting out for awhile but is light and fluffy at the same time. If you are interested let me know and I will PM it to you.

LP would you PM me your buttercream recipe please, it's sounds like the one I make and I would love to try yours... Thankx

LPBeier - Got that frosting recipe? Looking forward to trying it based on your recommendations!
-----
Still working on the syrup to brush the Genoise, but hopefully more progress will be made this upcoming weekend.

We decided on a three tier cake, and purchased 12" and 6" pans to accompany the 9" pans we own.

I'm also excited that Whole Foods is now carrying El Rey chocolate again. Political issues in Venezuela spilled over into the chocolate realm and WF was unable to procure this amazing product. While they carried the popular Valrhona, I think the "Big V" is an inferior product even to common-place Ghirardelli (or Scharffen Berger for that matter!). We bought a couple pounds of El Rey to practice recipes with.

Sorry, Nick, I will PM it to you now. Was busy with a wedding cake that fell through two days before delivery (long story) and then my father has been needing extra care so I got distracted.

Back
Top Bottom