"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 06-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #11
Head Chef

MHO: it's YOUR wedding, do what you want! And ENJOY!!! Have fun this summer with the plans! Let us know how your cake trials turn out!
:)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have known a few people that have made their own wedding cakes. If a couple have the patience to work on a project like this together, then I think it is a good sign about how they may get along in the future.

I love when people think "out of the box" for their wedding, this is a very special day, and why not have it exactly the way YOU want it!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Thanks!
-----
PattY1 - I guess casual is probably the proper word for it. Being a blue-collar guy, semi-formal for me means dockers, a tucked in button-up, and a sportcoat...
-----
We're not religious, so the wedding and reception will both be at a single location. We've booked a large house with an upstairs ballroom that has windows on three sides and a stage for a local fiddle band we like. It's in a small rural New Hampshire town that (hopefully) will be filled with colored maples and white birch (we chose the peak foliage week).

So a small ceremony w/readings, big potluck, and some Irish/folk dancing.
-----
We're going to start trying out cakes this week.

Pictures to come for sure!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Head Chef

sounds VERY cool! I play in a local Irish session here. Sounds like the craic will be great!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post
Thanks!
-----
PattY1 - I guess casual is probably the proper word for it. Being a blue-collar guy, semi-formal for me means dockers, a tucked in button-up, and a sportcoat...
-----
We're not religious, so the wedding and reception will both be at a single location. We've booked a large house with an upstairs ballroom that has windows on three sides and a stage for a local fiddle band we like. It's in a small rural New Hampshire town that (hopefully) will be filled with colored maples and white birch (we chose the peak foliage week).

So a small ceremony w/readings, big potluck, and some Irish/folk dancing.
-----

When do our evites come???
Old 06-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Nicholas Mosher;903989]Thanks!
-----
-----

I just had visions of myself carrying a pan of my baked beans wearing a cocktail dress and heels!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher View Post

One thing for sure: you're going to have a lot of fun tasting the trials!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

We had a wedding something like this and I have some advice... enlist someone to be responsible for handling the potluck on-site. Getting everything out, arranged and keeping the buffet table stocked, clean and lovely takes constant attention. This will leave you free to visit and focus on other more important issues and more importantly be relaxed and able to enjoy the day.

Our cake/s was an orange scented cake with bits of candied ginger and black walnuts. We had a pair of these; one with dark chocolate icing and the other with a bourbon butter cream.

Good luck - sounds like you have a fun event planned.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #19
Sous Chef

ChefJune - Hopefully we won't have to purchase new clothes to fit into by the end of it!
-----
Janet - We plan to have a couple people help out on the side. They will be pouring drinks and handling anything needed for the buffet table.
-----
Here is one of the cakes we are drawing some aesthetic inspiration from...

And a YouTube link for the fiddle band that will be playing for us!

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
Head Chef

good craic for sure!!!!

Tags
None