"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy

Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Shortbread

I think that nearly every family in Scotland has its own recipe for shortbread - here's mine! It uses rice flour and gives a lovely light texture. I use an old wooden shortbread mould that it probably at least a hundred years old (getting a little cracked nowadays, but still makes a good round of shortbread!) The amounts I suggest fills that mould.

5 oz plain flour
3 tablespoons rice flour
2 oz caster sugar
4 oz butter

Sift flours together and add sugar. Work in butter with fingertips. Knead mixture lightly, but don't overwork or the butter will go oily.

Either use a shortbread mould or pack into a 7 inch sandwich cake tin. Make sure you 'prick' the mixture well with a fork to prevent it rising too much and making the results look 'bumpy'.

If you use a cake tin, mark the round into wedges before baking.

To make traditional 'petticoat tail' shortbread - lay the circle of shortbread on a baking tray, mark into wedges and then, using your fingers, make a scalloped edge to the dough.

Put in a heated oven Gas Mark 3, 160C or 325F for about 45 minutes until golden. When cool, dredge with a little caster sugar.

(Caster sugar is finer than granulated, but not as fine as icing sugar and I'm not sure what it's called in the USA or Canada!)

Keep in an airtight container and eat within a couple of days.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Thanks Ishbel! I can't wait to try this! :D

Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
Head Chef

Now here's a thread I really like! And obvious very warm welcome to you Ishbel!!! What a treasure in your shortbread mold! I have two that were inherited, but both not usable for cooking anymore. I found a beautiful clay mold years ago that I still use.

As far as castor sugar goes, here in the states it can be recreated by pulsing our granulated sugar in a food processor until it is very, very fine, but not powdery as you pointed out. Superfine sugar is another fine substitute.

One of my grandmothers made a caramel shortbread using treacle...it will take me some time to dig out that one, but I will!

Another insisted on this recipe that I make all the time...

Stewart Shortbread

1 cup Butter (no substitutions!)
1/2 c superfine sugar
2 cups Flour

Cream together the butter and sugar. Knead in the flour and form into a ball. Butter a baking tray and then spread in the dough, being sure to score sections for cutting after baking, or press into a floured mold. Prick the entire surface with a fork, then chill 1/2 hour.

Bake 5 minutes at 375 degrees and 45 minutes at 300 degrees, until golden but not brown. Cut into squares or wedges while still warm.

And would you have a recipe for Tablet you could share????? Please???

So very good to have you join us, Ishbel!
Old 11-17-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

does it get better than Scottish Shortbread? I think not.
I love the stuff.
I don't use a recipe usually.
I make it by feel.
But you know I'm trying both of these when I can find that danged kitchen of mine.
is rice flour the same as corn starch? well, no, it wouldn't be.
there is a store local that sells corn flour.
I thought maybe that could work too.
rice flour may have to be purchased in an Asian market? yes?
I've made super fine sugar many times by doing the suggested method of putting it in the Cuisinart and pulsing away. Good results.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Ishbel, I like your technique. I think I'll try it with my regular recipe.

I do it like Audeo does. I cream the butter and sugar before mixing in the flour. It makes a good cookie, but not 100%. I hope your method brings my shortbread up to 100%.

BTW, I've found that pastry flour works best. If you can't find pastry flour, mix AP with Cake flour. Half and half works for me. You get a real tender shortbread cookie. The more cake flour, the more tender it gets.

I've also found that if you seal the cookies in an air tight tin or vacuum bag it, like I do, the cookies are even better a month later. Even 6 months later is better than fresh baked. The flavor takes a while to develop.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I think this must be a case of 'two nations divided by a common language'! We don't sell pastry flour here - we have plain flour (with no added raising agent), self-raising flour and Strong flour - best used for breads.

I do indeed have a tablet recipe - in fact, I'm making a batch for a friend this weekend. I'll make sure I post it 8)
Old 11-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
Ishbel, I like your technique. I think I'll try it with my regular recipe.

I do it like Audeo does. I cream the butter and sugar before mixing in the flour. It makes a good cookie, but not 100%. I hope your method brings my shortbread up to 100%.
I agree, psiguyy! In fact, my grandmother's original recipe instructs one to "rub in" the butter as Ishbel describes. Okay...I'm going to drop another Lazy Yank way for the original method!

Thank you, in advance, for the Tablet recipe, Ishbel! 'Tis another family favorite!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:06 AM   #8
Master Chef

I'm bumping this for PA! :D
Old 12-07-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Crewsk

I thought I was going mad (or senile) as I was searching this part of the forum for my recipe thread - and couldn't find it, I must have been looking for it just as you moved it!

Many thanks!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

You are welcome Ishbel! :D

Tags
None