1/2 c granulated white sugar
1 1/2 c water
3 md mangoes,peeled, chopped fine
2 T fresh lime juice
1/4 ga French vanilla ice cream softened
1 md mango,peeled sliced lengthwise
1 lime,thinly sliced
8 whole Maraschino cherries with stems
1 c heavy cream,whipped, lightly sweetened
1. Combine sugar and water in a medium size saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Allow the syrup to boil for 2 full minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Immediately add mangos to hot syrup and pure with a food processor or a blender. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing the pulp with a rubber spatula to get all the liquid. Discard pulp and add lime juice to the liquid.
3. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or set the pan in a bowl of ice water, stirring until chilled.
4. Freeze in an ice cream machine as the manufacturer's instructions recommend.
5. Brush the insides of 8 custard cups with a light coating of vegetable oil, then line them with plastic wrap. Press the plastic up against the oil to hold it in place. Allow the plastic to hang over the edges at least 2 inches all around. Chill in the freezer.
6. Fill the sides of the chilled molds with about 1/2 inch of the softened ice cream, leaving a cavity in the centers.
7. Fill the cavities with the mango sorbet. Fold the plastic over and freeze for at least 4 hours.
8. To serve: Slice the mango and the lime into very thin wedges. Flatten each cherry on one side by slicing off a small piece (this is the side it will lay on). Unmold the bombes by holding the outside of each custard cup under hot running water for 2 seconds (be sure not to let any water get inside). Give the plastic a little tug and let the bombe fall out into your hand. Pull the plastic the rest of the way off and lay the bombe on the serving plate. Arrange 2 slices of mango and one slice of lime, slightly overlapping, on top of the bombe. Lay them so they radiate out from the center and down the right side. (If the ice cream is too soft the slices will not stick but will slip down onto the plate). Place the cherry (flat side down) in the center on top of the three slices.
9. Garnish the bottom edge against the plate by piping flurries of
whipped cream with a pastry bag.