"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Brownies & Dessert Bars

Old 05-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

TNT Currant Bars

i made this recipe yesterday. it is just wonderful , nice flavor of spices and very moist. the only problem with it , is i couldn't leave it alone. it was that tasty. it is low sugar and relatively low fat. guilt-free snacking or dessert.

Sugar Free Currant Bars
indgredients

1 cup currants
1/2 cup of water
1/4 cup butter (cubed )
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup all purpose flour
1egg beaten
3/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup of splenda brown
1 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of vanilla

Directions

in a sauce pan over medium heat, cook currants, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg until butter is melted, continue cooking for 3 minutes ( i did mine in the microwave in the mixing bowl and cooked 1 and 1/2 minutes. add all remaining ingredients

spread into 8 in baking dish sprayed with spray.bake 350 for 25 to thirty minutes. i did the shorter time.

16 serving ( there are really small ) i cut 8 servings.

one small equals 92 calories.

this is the most successful low sugar recipe i have ever made. hope you all will try it.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Head Chef

Thanks for another TNT - copied & pasted. I've made a couple of Splenda recipes for a diabetic friend - some were good and some just so-so. Haven't used the Splenda brown sugar yet. Ditto, haven't ever used currants and don't know if they are easily available. Is there another fruit I could use if I don't find them?

Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Thanks for another TNT - copied & pasted. I've made a couple of Splenda recipes for a diabetic friend - some were good and some just so-so. Haven't used the Splenda brown sugar yet. Ditto, haven't ever used currants and don't know if they are easily available. Is there another fruit I could use if I don't find them?
Raisins. I believe the original recipe had raisins.

I find that I can sub raisins for currants and vice versa in most recipes if my DH isn't going to have it. He can taste the difference and dislikes currants.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Babe, you have a keeper here it is wonderful. Ethan and Olivia are here today abd we are going to make some. Yumm Yum Yummmmy um um, Hope I get at least ne, Thank you,
kades
Old 05-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Raisins. I believe the original recipe had raisins.

I find that I can sub raisins for currants and vice versa in most recipes if my DH isn't going to have it. He can taste the difference and dislikes currants.
And thank you, too, Taxlady.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
And thank you, too, Taxlady.
What would also work are the golden raisins I use them often the kids really are into the graps.
kades
Old 05-14-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

raisins will work just as well. i don't care for them. currants are in super markets near the raisins and dried fruit. i changed the original recipe a bit, called for splenda white, i used the brown instead. more wonderful flavors. don't let get to brown. don't be afraid of the low sugar, they taste anything but diet. amazing,.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Head Chef

I know it wouldn't hurt me to cut down on sugar and this looks like a good place to start. I appreciate the tips. :)

Tags
recipe

TNT Currant Bars i made this recipe yesterday. it is just wonderful , nice flavor of spices and very moist. the only problem with it , is i couldn't leave it alone. it was that tasty. it is low sugar and relatively low fat. guilt-free snacking or dessert. Sugar Free Currant Bars indgredients 1 cup currants 1/2 cup of water 1/4 cup butter (cubed ) 1 teaspoon of cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1 cup all purpose flour 1egg beaten 3/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce 1/2 cup of splenda brown 1 tsp of baking soda 1/2 tsp of vanilla Directions in a sauce pan over medium heat, cook currants, water, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg until butter is melted, continue cooking for 3 minutes ( i did mine in the microwave in the mixing bowl and cooked 1 and 1/2 minutes. add all remaining ingredients spread into 8 in baking dish sprayed with spray.bake 350 for 25 to thirty minutes. i did the shorter time. 16 serving ( there are really small ) i cut 8 servings. one small equals 92 calories. this is the most successful low sugar recipe i have ever made. hope you all will try it. :chef: 3 stars 1 reviews