2/17 Special: Free Range Chicken "Two Ways"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Can't stress how much better free range chicken is than its counterpart.

Duo of Free Range Chicken: Pan Roasted Breast and De-boned Confit of Thigh
Yukon Gold Potato Galette, Mushroom Duxelle "Tarte Tatin", Brussels Sprouts, Natural Chicken-Herb Jus, Roasted Garlic-Dijon Aioli

Last edited:
What have you heard about eating free range, organic chicken MR? I heard of a chicken tartar on one of the iron chef shows.

That looks and sounds to die for. Or at least consideer a holiday for! In all seriousness, we never took a honey moon, and I the first thing I thought when I saw that is, OK, when we go on "honeymoon, thats what I want to eat"....so I guess that fixes the destination for us, lol! Would you share how you did the Brussels sprouts...i understand if not though.

This is a good site that provides a lot of info about free range, organic chicken:

http://www.mercola.com/forms/chicken.htm

I made a little fact sheet and passed it around to the waitstaff during their pre-shift meeting to help them sell the dish. Despite how much more healthier the birds are, I still wouldn't serve them tartare style. I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to eat it anyhow. Well maybe a few people would, but that's a potential salmonella incident right there.

Lulu, the brussels sprouts are prepared fairly simply. I blanched them in boiling, salted water and then shocked them in ice water. Then they were finished ala minute sauteed with unsalted butter, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and salt to taste.

We usually get our free range chickens from Oregon. I did try free range chicken from South Carolina however. We had a special dinner with guest chef Bob Waggoner of the Charleston Grill and he brought free range chickens from Oaklyn farms.

Back
Top Bottom