"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Originally Posted by Ishbel

BTW - What's half half?
It's a dairy product that is 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 cream. People use it in coffee alot here in the states.

Ardge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Originally Posted by Sandyj
I've become a little wary of eating out! If you complain, the waiters or cooks might do something awful to your food says one of my daughters, who is currently waitressing in very busy, popular spot! I hope this isn't true! Sandyj
There's a movie running in the theaters right now with this very same theme. "Waiting" is the name of the film. The commercials look disgustingly..... funny.

Old 10-13-2005, 03:46 AM   #13
Executive Chef
When I first saw the title of the thread - Bad Restaurant Experiences... , the first thing that came to mind was being held up. I mention it because I'm starting to notice it now more and more on the news. If restaurants don't already have surveillance cameras, it might be something to consider. Fortunately no one was hurt. I had my back to the door when they came in. Sitting across the booth from my bf, we're eating pizza and he says "we're being held up." I honestly thought he was joking and kept eating, until I saw the staff getting down on the floor. I think if I had panicked and looked at him, he might have done something to us as well. The manager ran out when they left (very brave of him, I think), and we sat there when the police arrived.

I don't know if this will help someone else, but we were the last 1 or 2 couples in the restaurant at about 10:00 pm during the week. I would be reluctant to go to an almost empty place at closing time. The restaurant didn't charge us for the pizza, but I'll never forget it. The fact that I didn't look at him/them? may have helped too.

Whew. I'll take a deep breath on that one, and perhaps come back and chat about some impossible people I know who are never happy with the meal. IMO, people that constantly send things back and are never pleased, are not happy with themselves. When I pay hard-earned money for a meal, I do have reasonable expectations, and I do treat people with respect. If the food and/or service was not good, I probably would not return. My guess is, they won't stay in business very long - particularly with all the competition. Guess that's pretty much it.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #14
Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
We had dinner with friends at a new upscale restaurant. The restaurant's chef was a "local man". I ordered a seafood dish that was served with sprouts on top. Unfortunately there were fruit flies crawling all over my dinner. When the waitress finally came back and I showed here my problem she took it back to the kitchen. She returned a while later with another order topped with the same sprouts and bugs. I finally scraped the sprouts off and carefully ate some. I did not want to make a scene since our friends recommended the restaurant.
My friend ordered the pan seared scallops which were almost raw. She sent them back and they were brought back in almost the same state. Needless to say when the waitress asked if we wanted dessert we just wanted to leave. The waitress did not even remove the awful dinners from our bill.
When I got home I called the restaurant owner to tell her about our dinner. I told her I did not want to make a scene. She told me she knew of the bugs in my food but did not want to embarrass us. I am going to be more assertive in the future and refuse to eat bad food.
Gerrycooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
WOW.. OH CHIT...INCOMING!... Boy did this thread ever kick off a lot of pent up anger... LOL

Folks, the restaurant business is a tough world to live in. Thankgod I don't but one of my very best friends does. He is the Executive Chef for two restaurants here in my hometown. Two bigtime restaurants. In our conversations he has talked about the difficulty of finding good help, keeping folks motivated, overseeing quality...

The problem usually is that running a restuarant is not normally looked at as a management job. Most chefs are great at cooking but terrible at employee relations. Remember, there is only ONE exec chef. Lots of other help and then the whole magilla of the service staff.

If you find a GOOD local independent restaurant then enjoy the **** out of it. They are rare and few between. Most often I have found you can get the best medium priced food at a CHAIN STORE. Mygod, does that sound bad?? Point is.. they are run on a corporate scale. The rules are set out clearly, the menu is bland but safe, the staff knows what to expect..it's a system.

Is that bad? Well, depends on what you are looking for.

The final point to this rant.... you get what you pay for if you know where to spend your money. KNOW WHERE..that is the key.

Just because I like it, or Dad likes it, or Aunt Sally likes it does not make it a good restaurant.

Whew.. got that out of my system. As for reality I am the GM of an appliance company. Nothing to do with food. But also an amateur chef. So I empathize with all of you...

"If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."
DugDbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:13 PM   #16
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
some kid threw up on my plate at a sushi buffet
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:22 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr
some kid threw up on my plate at a sushi buffet
OK master, you win the prize for worst restaurant experience
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #18
Executive Chef
I think you are right, GB. NOONE is going to be able to 'top' that story....
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #19
Senior Cook
bumping this thread to the top. i love reading these stories!

hello everyone!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

Well, I can't say that it will top the sushi bar story, but back in college, we had a great little hole in the wall restaurant - cheap, really good food, about halfway through an order of vegetarian lasagne, I stopped, fork mid-air and low and behold, someone's band-aid was in my lasagne.

Needless to say, that was my last visit there.

I don't suffer from stress, I'm a carrier
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote