Barefoot Contessa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some of Ina's cookbooks and I've made several of her recipes. I love her show (and she does remind me of Martha but I love Martha too - LOL). the show is filmed in her kitchen in the Hamptons. I don't think she tapes too many shows anymore.

And aren't you and your loved ones worth it?? ;)

That's no fair! Arguing with that would make one seem as if they didn't think their loved ones were worth it!
:LOL:
Oh wait, in that case I can feel free to argue, sorry DW!!:-p

Those people are not watching Ina on FoodTV which is a cable channel. If they are then they could choose to buy better food over buying cable TV.

In my case that would mean being able to buy an extra $40 a month in groceries, which means if food was scarce the cable would be dropped in a heart beat. Our policy has always been the kids and family come first. So for us, there is no choice between cable and food, it is a no brainer.

At the same time, I am sure there are plenty of people out there that could never afford to make every single meal the way she does, but may still choose to watch it for entertainment value. I know I do that. And I am sure that there are also plenty of people out there that can afford to make her recipes but only on occasion, should they stop watching just because they can't eat and live like her every day?
My budget is my budget, and it allows for good healthy meals for my family before paying for cable. But, Would I drop the cable just so I can buy Kobe beef instead of Black Angus for every recipe that calls for beef? No, not worth it for me. For that matter given the price difference there, I think that would only cover maybe one meal for my family of five in exchange for cable. No thanks!

At the same time, if I were to buy only the best ingredients of everything for every meal, as suggested by some here, I would break my budget by about 200% per month, so all the cable dropping, cell phone turning off, no eating out or going out at all, in the world would make up for that...

You have to find your own balance, and prioritize what is important to you. In my case, some stuff I do get the best of or at least a high quality product, but not everything. A good chef, in my opinion, doesn't have to rely on having only the best ingredients available to turn out a family meal everyone can enjoy... for that matter if they can be a good chef only by using the best ingredients there are, well then they need to go back to school, IMHO, because there is more to cooking than just the ingredients used.

In fact, I think that would make an even more interesting Iron Chef episode, make the five Iron Chefs make gourmet meals on ingredients and cooking utensils available just to the average middle class American family.. I am not poo-pooing chefs that use gourmet ingredients, just suggesting that IMHO that would make for an interesting show indeed.

I am not denying the fact that the more involved in cooking you get, the more those better ingredients call to you and the more you appreciate and understand the difference. But a budget is a budget, and for us trading an entire months entertainment for one gourmet meal is just not worth it.

But, that is us, so I only speak for myself, and am not pointing fingers at anyone on here nor putting anyone on here down. It's just a perspective... and I do agree with GB, if the choice is bread on the table or FN, I would choose the bread too. Hard to laugh at the Comedy Network shows when your kids are hungry...

Those people are not watching Ina on FoodTV which is a cable channel. If they are then they could choose to buy better food over buying cable TV.

well guess i am one of "those people" i can't afford expensive vanilla . and my son pays for my direct tv. i do however try to buy a good med. price of anything i buy, including vanilla.

and mine is not cable it is satilite :dry: sp?

don't mean to be rude, but just because one wants something does not mean

they can afford it.

babe:dry:

I did not mean to speak in such generalities and come across as I did. Please accept my apologies babe.

well guess i am one of "those people" i can't afford expensive vanilla . and my son pays for my direct tv. i do however try to buy a good med. price of anything i buy, including vanilla.

and mine is not cable it is satilite :dry: sp?

don't mean to be rude, but just because one wants something does not mean

they can afford it.

babe:dry:

Nice son! Musta raised him right:)

i like to think so maverick. he also owns and pays for my home. because of the murder of his father, my retirement plans were derailed and i can't do it myself. his help allowed me to get as well as i can be mentally since the event.

babe:king:

My point exactly, most kids these days i do not think would do that. He isn't on here, so its my way of giving him kudos every chance I get.:)

The "proper" name for "Swede" is rutabaga. Thankfully, turnips are something else again.

Rutabaga... the one vegetable I can happily live forever without! :rolleyes:
I have A+ blood and am a veg/fruit woman by nature.
But I have never met a Rutabaga that I even thought of enjoying.
My mother used to try and pry my mouth open and force us little girls to eat them saying how wonderful they were. Oh my Lord, what a fiasco those nights were.
Mind you I adore vegetables of any and all kinds, even the weird ones.
But to my way of thinking rutabaga's should be banned from any table any time.
In other words ChefJune, I completely agree with you.

Drop my cable TV and DVR system??? :ohmy: I'd rather starve!!:LOL:

As for rutabaga, I love the stuff and so do my kids and grandkids. I tried not having it for Thanksgiving one year and they all freaked out. Had to put it back on the menu. Steamed, mashed and buttered with some salt and pepper - I think it is wonderful!

To:ilovelondon; my first meal for my in-laws and parents when I got married in 1976, was stuffed cornish game hens. I served them like you would a chicken or turkey. They were a hit, and to this day, not forgotten.
Under the stress of my first big dinner, it was a no lose answer. I didn't know who liked dark or white meat or stuffing, the cooking time was faster, the meat alittle milder and I didn't have to know how to carve a bird.
As for Ina; she comes from humble, but an educated backround. She is completely self -taught. She's what I would call a 'brainiack'.
He husband does alot of out of town business and she douts on him when he is around. But she truly is a self-made woman. I disagree that where she lives has anything to do with it. She is not from the "hamptons". She chose it. It does present an alternative type of life from most of us hard working stiffs. But more power to her. She earned it. And I don't think she's forgotten it. (I think Martha, most times wants to). However, I think the producers, when creating a show, try to appeal to the largest # audience, so they must drive the hosts nuts wearing so may hats for mass appeal.
She loves what she does, she's got a smile to beat the band, and she wants you to like it too. I like her. But no,I don't make most of what she does. I have to go out of my way to get some ingredients, and most times I don't have the time to spend in the kitchen. That's her profession/passion.
It's my necessity/hobby/passion.

I have A+ blood and am a veg/fruit woman by nature.
But I have never met a Rutabaga that I even thought of enjoying.
My mother used to try and pry my mouth open and force us little girls to eat them saying how wonderful they were. Oh my Lord, what a fiasco those nights were.
Mind you I adore vegetables of any and all kinds, even the weird ones.
But to my way of thinking rutabaga's should be banned from any table any time.
In other words ChefJune, I completely agree with you.

:LOL::LOL: hehehe and I'm an A+, veg/fruit girl, too! I love all fruit and all veges except that one!

My worst veggie holiday was Thanksgiving. Mom made everything I hated. Turnip/rutabaga, bussel sprouts and creamed califlower. YIK!
But then she also made spiced apple rings, yum, and for me special, asparagus and mashed carrots. One time I mixed up the mashed carrots with the mashed rutabaga. I never forgave her.
YIK! YIK! YIK!

If Ina can make someone like me like rutabaga, well... I can't believe it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom