"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #51
Head Chef
Drop my cable TV and DVR system??? I'd rather starve!!

As for rutabaga, I love the stuff and so do my kids and grandkids. I tried not having it for Thanksgiving one year and they all freaked out. Had to put it back on the menu. Steamed, mashed and buttered with some salt and pepper - I think it is wonderful!

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #52
Master Chef
I can honestly say I have never had rutabaga.

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #53
Executive Chef
To:ilovelondon; my first meal for my in-laws and parents when I got married in 1976, was stuffed cornish game hens. I served them like you would a chicken or turkey. They were a hit, and to this day, not forgotten.
Under the stress of my first big dinner, it was a no lose answer. I didn't know who liked dark or white meat or stuffing, the cooking time was faster, the meat alittle milder and I didn't have to know how to carve a bird.
As for Ina; she comes from humble, but an educated backround. She is completely self -taught. She's what I would call a 'brainiack'.
He husband does alot of out of town business and she douts on him when he is around. But she truly is a self-made woman. I disagree that where she lives has anything to do with it. She is not from the "hamptons". She chose it. It does present an alternative type of life from most of us hard working stiffs. But more power to her. She earned it. And I don't think she's forgotten it. (I think Martha, most times wants to). However, I think the producers, when creating a show, try to appeal to the largest # audience, so they must drive the hosts nuts wearing so may hats for mass appeal.
She loves what she does, she's got a smile to beat the band, and she wants you to like it too. I like her. But no,I don't make most of what she does. I have to go out of my way to get some ingredients, and most times I don't have the time to spend in the kitchen. That's her profession/passion.
It's my necessity/hobby/passion.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #54
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I have A+ blood and am a veg/fruit woman by nature.
But I have never met a Rutabaga that I even thought of enjoying.
My mother used to try and pry my mouth open and force us little girls to eat them saying how wonderful they were. Oh my Lord, what a fiasco those nights were.
Mind you I adore vegetables of any and all kinds, even the weird ones.
But to my way of thinking rutabaga's should be banned from any table any time.
In other words ChefJune, I completely agree with you.
hehehe and I'm an A+, veg/fruit girl, too! I love all fruit and all veges except that one!
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #55
Executive Chef
My worst veggie holiday was Thanksgiving. Mom made everything I hated. Turnip/rutabaga, bussel sprouts and creamed califlower. YIK!
But then she also made spiced apple rings, yum, and for me special, asparagus and mashed carrots. One time I mixed up the mashed carrots with the mashed rutabaga. I never forgave her.

If Ina can make someone like me like rutabaga, well... I can't believe it.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #56
Chief Eating Officer
I think we need to get back on topic of Barefoot Contessa. Thanks.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote