"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef

California Olive Oil + Penne alla Vodka

I'll admit, the California Olive Oil isn't quite as good as it's Spanish cousin. Although the fruitiness in the oil is nice, it's missing the peppery and grassy qualities that oils from the Mediterranean have. Still good drizzled over pasta. Penne alla Vodka with San Marzano Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Fresh Ground Pecorino-Romanao cheese.

I just remembered I can't stand Alton Brown but only admins can edit thread titles. I guess that's what happens when you hit "submit thread" too quickly.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	penne-pasta.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1532   Click image for larger version

Name:	olive-oil.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	1533  

Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

IC,
this olive oil is produced here where I live and the Mr. S. attends chruch with us each sunday, he sells his olive oil at the local farmers market each thursday and saturday..Nice man, oil very good if a bit pricey..

kadesma

Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

IC I edited yout title for you.

Your dish looks delicious! I think you just helped me decide what is for dinner tonight
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Cook

everytime i see the food of iornchef,i have a feeling of being in restaurant. this is not the same as be in china.
In china,maybe one chef can do the excellent food.but when he go home ,in the most time ,his wife will prepare some ordinary dishes. the ordinary ones is not so beautiful.
haha
Old 06-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Looking at the pic again, the cheese kinda looks like Krafts!

What I usually do is buy the cheese in small blocks then grind it in the food processor to get that fine texture.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Your pasta look delicious, just the way the Romans like to prepare theirs!! I am the lucky one who lives in a place where good olive oil is readily available with reasonably low cost, but I am glad that you have found a fine alternative without damaging your budget too much!!
We do the same procedure for our blocks of parm/grana padano/aged pecorino some times, it is a very handy solution...though with certain recipes we prefer to use our hand cranked cheese grinder to give more texture.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Your pasta look delicious, just the way the Romans like to prepare theirs!! I am the lucky one who lives in a place where good olive oil is readily available with reasonably low cost, but I am glad that you have found a fine alternative without damaging your budget too much!!
We do the same procedure for our blocks of parm/grana padano/aged pecorino some times, it is a very handy solution...though with certain recipes we prefer to use our hand cranked cheese grinder to give more texture.
I have to actually pick up another cheese grinder. Mine broke from overuse. At home, I have like I think 10 or 12 different types of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I use it all pretty quickly so they don't go bad.

My favorite extra virgin olive oil is on this page. It's in the second row on the far right in the tin:

http://www.colorsofspain.com/oil.htm
Old 06-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Your pasta dish looks delicious. I must be one of the few people in the world that doesnt really care for olive oil. I find it has a strong flavor, though I must admit I havent tried really good olive oils, just the least expensive extra virgin from my grocery store. I really prefer canola oil.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Head Chef

My goodness, Ironchef. I've just looked at the prices of the olive oil in the link you give. That's pure theft! I've just bought 10 litres of organic extra virgin olive oil made with my favourite olives (picual), 5 litres cost me 33 euros and it is excellent oil. I should start shipping oil over.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
My goodness, Ironchef. I've just looked at the prices of the olive oil in the link you give. That's pure theft! I've just bought 10 litres of organic extra virgin olive oil made with my favourite olives (picual), 5 litres cost me 33 euros and it is excellent oil. I should start shipping oil over.
I'm sure the selection that you get is unbelievable. I don't actually order my olive oil online, I get it from a Spanish market in Los Angeles.