Din-Din Thursday, June 23, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm cooking up the last of our fresh protein today. Then begins the slow process of cleaning things up in preparation for departure.

I'm actually sending Himself out to cook - grilled Italian sausage. Sides will be salad, sauteed yellow squash, and cannellini bean salad with tomato, black olives, and parsley.

What's cookin' in your Thursday kitchen?

No cooking for me. We get our monthly United Way fundraiser, Italian beef sammies, broccoli bacon salad, and some sort of dessert that involves pretzels. Works for me!

I'll be having a bowl of leftover navy bean/ham/veggies soup. Corn bread on the side.

The weather is a bit warm for soup - but I made a batch a couple of days ago so I could have a meal-in-a-bowl dinner and stay out of the kitchen for a few days. :)

No cooking for me. We get our monthly United Way fundraiser, Italian beef sammies, broccoli bacon salad, and some sort of dessert that involves pretzels. Works for me!

I *so* wish we had something like that here. I wonder if the pretzel dessert includes strawberries and whipped cream.

No cooking for me tonight! It's our 32nd anniversary and we're going to this restaurant for the first time: http://suppereats.com

It's part of a local group of wonderful restaurants, including Bardo that I mentioned earlier today. Each one has a different focus and menu. I'm looking at the lamb chops for tonight :yum:

I *so* wish we had something like that here. I wonder if the pretzel dessert includes strawberries and whipped cream.

Happy anniversary, GG and DH of GG!

I just looked at the menu DH sent, and it does have strawberries. It is nice to have it available! Some things are "meh" but most are quite good. It is made to serve 4, and really is a good value.

Last edited:
No cooking for me tonight! It's our 32nd anniversary....
Congratulations!! :)

As for dinner.... I had Opah with a side of homemade Giardiniera. I fried the fish in my new skillet to test the seasoning. It created a nice crust without sticking.

img_1470676_0_51b8b782a4ca9b3eabdcf6531883006f.jpg

Last edited:
I've never heard of "opah", Steve, so I googled it. Interesting that it is warm-blooded. Now, more importantly, how does it taste? It looks lovely...

Did I miss something? Where are you going?

Dinner sounds yummy :yum:
Before I answer you, congratulations to you two lovebirds on your anniversary. The menu for that restaurant looks wonderful, although lamb would not be my first choice. I saw that the gumbo was served with "pecan rice". Hmm, I'll have to try that with gumbo the next time we have some (I still have a precious quart in our freezer).

Heading to OH to see our progeny. We were going to leave tomorrow so that we could all be together to celebrate my 65th! birthday on Monday (Bourbon Street Barrel Room - yum). Then we realized that trash pick-up is Monday and we have a VERY full can of increasingly smelly garbage. We'll leave after the garbage guys come by, eat along the route, then celebrate with the kids later on in the week. We'll be there between one and two weeks - basically, until our daughter is tired of putting up with Mom under her roof. :LOL:

Thanks for the "yummy". I took a fork full of the bean mixture and thought it was good. I found a small piece of fresh mozz that will be tossed into our servings, along with some English cucumber, since those two foods would probably go mushy cut-up and stored. Enough bean mix for more than two servings. Of course.

I did sweet chilli shrimp and veggies over rice. Too hot and muggy to do a big meal. The thunderstorm just rolled in and I am now SUPER glad I didn't decide to BBQ!

Rusty Pelican salad. A local landmark (AKA tourist mostly) restaurant that used to serve this as their signature table-side prepared salad. I actually had this the night before DD was born, over 35 years ago. Wasn't due for almost 3 weeks but looked like I was about to pop (which I guess I was) and had the hostess worried, so she sat us where we had an easy exit if necesary.

37240-albums1042-picture6570.jpg

Steamed shrimp, button mushrooms, boiled egg (they grated but we like it better chunked, tomatoes, and they served with fresh chopped chives, but we didn't do that tonight. Dressing is homemade honey mustard, their recipe.

That is a fine looking salad, medtran. I'm not a fan of honey dressings, but I would give it a shot on that salad. I'm sure it's important to the overall flavor profile.

I did sweet chilli shrimp and veggies over rice...
Look who the cat dragged in. Alix! Good to see you. I hope those storms brought cooling temperatures and lower humidity with them.

I guess that a) Himself was very hungry or b) the bean salad was very tasty. It is officially not leftover. Meanwhile, before Himself grills sausage, I've taken to steaming them to just about done so that they stay juicy while grilling. I did a half water-half white wine "broth" and tossed a palm full each of fennel seeds and crushed red pepper to the liquid. Either the extra seasonings added flavor to the meat, or the butcher guy actually added enough spices to this batch of sausage. T'was very tasty. :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-06-23 20.38.57.jpg
    2016-06-23 20.38.57.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 153
I've never heard of "opah", Steve, so I googled it. Interesting that it is warm-blooded. Now, more importantly, how does it taste? It looks lovely...
It's a very meaty, but mild tasting fish. If I had to compare it to something, I would say it reminds me a little of halibut or swordfish. Definitely not the kind of fish you'd want to overcook. And I did end up overcooking it just a little more than I would've liked. :neutral:

It's a very meaty, but mild tasting fish. If I had to compare it to something, I would say it reminds me a little of halibut or swordfish. Definitely not the kind of fish you'd want to overcook. And I did end up overcooking it just a little more than I would've liked. :neutral:

I've never heard of opah fish either. I thought it was something they yelled at Greek restaurants when they smashed plates.

Looks delicious.

Beautiful looking meals Steve, medtran, and CG! :yum:

GG, happy belated anniversary to you and hubby. :)

CG, safe travels for you and Himself. I hope you can check in with us now and then while you're in Ohio. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom