Dinner 2/20 - "Fat Tuesday"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breeze, your oysters are making me drool :)
Tonight is grilled ham and cheese on the remainder of NYT bread.
Also have a ripe avacodo that I have to do something with, not sure yet:ermm:

BreezyCooking said:
Didn't see a thread started for today, so here it is.

I just returned from the market where I managed to snag the last container of shucked "select" oysters. Today is apparently "oyster day" around here in honor of "Fat Tuesday" & Mardi Gras.

So - I'll be frying those luscious fat little guys up & serving them with lots of lemon wedges, hot sauce, & tartar sauce, as well as a nice big green salad with blue cheese vinagarette.:)

Love....Love ...did I say Love :ermm: Oysters. How do you make your Breez?

DH cooked steaks on the grill. It was such a busy day. My mom was taken to the hospital, my gs was with us because he had a terrible cough and upper respiratory infection, dh was playing golf, I had a tea party for an elderly lady in the afternoon. We had parsley potatoes and salad with the steaks. Our gd, gs and daughter were here for dinner - no dessert, but gd and gs took home the cinnamon rolls I'd made. I was on the phone almost all of the morning regarding my mother. I don't know what is happening there and should hear more this morning. We were just up there Monday and took her to the doctor and the er. I may have to go back up.Remember her in your prayers, please.

Well, I've been in London for about a week now and am getting use to some of the differences in the food. I decided to cook my quick beef stroganoff which I usually use top round for. The grocery store didn't carry that so I had to make a guess on which cut of beef to get. I ended up using what was called frying steak. Still not really sure what cut of beef this was, but it did end up being a little tough. The good thing though, is that I am learning to me more creative with what I cook. I'm still looking for a place that carries skirt steak, but haven't found it yet.

The oysters did turn out GREAT!! I simply dredged them in a spicy mix of plain white flour, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, oregano, black pepper, & seasoned salt; & then shallow pan-fried them in a half-&-half mix of canola & extra-virgin olive oil for just a couple of minutes on each side - turning them halfway thru with Calpholon tongs.

I enjoyed mine with lemon wedges & a very basic tartar sauce of mayo, dill pickle relish, & hot sauce; husband had his with lemon wedges & mayo mixed with some wasabi.

Delicious!!!

abjcooking said:
Well, I've been in London for about a week now and am getting use to some of the differences in the food here. I decided to cook my quick beef stroganoff last night. I usually use top round for this, but the grocery store didn't carry it so I had to make a guess and ended up using a frying steak, although I'm not sure what cut of beef this was. It ended up being a little tough. The good thing though is that I am learning to be more creative in my cooking. Still looking around for skirt steak, but haven't foun it yet.

I found it difficult adjusting to the different way meat is jointed and cut when I moved to Spain. In the end, the only thing you can do is explain to the butcher which bit of the animal the cut you want comes from. Unfortunately, if you're shopping in a supermarket, there's no butcher to talk to.

Not sure if these pictures will help you. It's a link to a shop, but they had the best images of British butchery cuts.

Essex Pig Company - Jimmy's farm and home of the Essex Pig

abjcooking, where abouts (roughly) in London are you? Skirt steak, is I think a flank cut in UK.

BreezyCooking said:
The oysters did turn out GREAT!! I simply dredged them in a spicy mix of plain white flour, cayenne pepper, granulated garlic, oregano, black pepper, & seasoned salt; & then shallow pan-fried them in a half-&-half mix of canola & extra-virgin olive oil for just a couple of minutes on each side - turning them halfway thru with Calpholon tongs.

I enjoyed mine with lemon wedges & a very basic tartar sauce of mayo, dill pickle relish, & hot sauce; husband had his with lemon wedges & mayo mixed with some wasabi.

Delicious!!!

Thanks Breez!

dw made a huge, delicious ham last night. very juicy, not too salty. i picked up potato salad and coleslaw, farmer's cheese, rye bread and a babka from a polish deli on the way home to have with it, along with my contribution: a can of sweet corn. :chef:

had friends over and made a lasagna...mixed meat sauce with onion garlic carrot celery mushroom tomato, spiced with cinamon, and a cottege cheese, spinach, romano and egg filling spiced with nutmeg. no boil whole wheat pasta (Gia Russo, really great stuff). Really good...the sweet spice gave it a slightly middle/eastern flavor that everyone really liked.
served with crusty garlic rubbed bread and caesar salad with fresh made dressing. yum

Our annual Mardi Gras dinner out was awesome.

We each had a cocktail before dinner. Buck had a bloody Mary that he asked to be "hot." Oh, it was spicy. I dipped the celery stick in the glass and bit a piece of the celery. Omigosh! It lit my fire. Buck loved it.

I had something I'd never had before and hadn't heard of...a raspberry marguerita. It was great and seemed bottomless. It almost lasted through the whole meal. The waitress kept asking me if I was happy with it. I guess she assumed so because it was taking me so long to drink it.

We had an appetizer of portobello "fries," which was fabulous. We had had them before and they were just as good as we'd remembered from last year. They were served with a remoulade sauce. Really, really good.

The salad was delicious, too. It was mixed greens of all kinds, including dandelion greens all tossed with grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, the restaurant's special homemade croutons. Both of us had bleu cheese dressing.

Our main course was, always, all-you-can-east snow crab legs. Needless to say, Buck and I were caught in a blizzard of shellfish. They were sweet, tender and exited their shells with ease. We only sampled the baked potato that came with our meals and enjoyed a pitcher of Killians Irish Red with our crabs.

Hello...no room for dessert. Big surprise.

The music was okay, but not the band we always expect and enjoy. They were playing somewhere else. Still, we had a wonderful evening and left with tons and tons of colored beads and memories of a fabulous time. Alas, we'll have to wait another year to do this. But, it's always definitely worth the wait.

Snoop Puss/lulu

I have a flat in Regent's Park (south). I have found a wonderful fish store on Marylebone High street, but for most of my shopping I have been going to a few larger markets as well as some smaller chain stores such as Tesco. I found that Somerfield on Portland has a pretty good selection.
I looked for brisket, but they didn't have it. I do remember seeing they had rump, frying steak, sirloin and stewing meat, more lamb than I'm use to seeing in the states, and a good selection of chicken.

licia said:
DH cooked steaks on the grill. It was such a busy day. My mom was taken to the hospital, my gs was with us because he had a terrible cough and upper respiratory infection, dh was playing golf, I had a tea party for an elderly lady in the afternoon. We had parsley potatoes and salad with the steaks. Our gd, gs and daughter were here for dinner - no dessert, but gd and gs took home the cinnamon rolls I'd made. I was on the phone almost all of the morning regarding my mother. I don't know what is happening there and should hear more this morning. We were just up there Monday and took her to the doctor and the er. I may have to go back up.Remember her in your prayers, please.
Just saw you note licia,
prayers for your mom..Let me know how she is.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom