"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Our annual Mardi Gras dinner out was awesome.

We each had a cocktail before dinner. Buck had a bloody Mary that he asked to be "hot." Oh, it was spicy. I dipped the celery stick in the glass and bit a piece of the celery. Omigosh! It lit my fire. Buck loved it.

I had something I'd never had before and hadn't heard of...a raspberry marguerita. It was great and seemed bottomless. It almost lasted through the whole meal. The waitress kept asking me if I was happy with it. I guess she assumed so because it was taking me so long to drink it.

We had an appetizer of portobello "fries," which was fabulous. We had had them before and they were just as good as we'd remembered from last year. They were served with a remoulade sauce. Really, really good.

The salad was delicious, too. It was mixed greens of all kinds, including dandelion greens all tossed with grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, the restaurant's special homemade croutons. Both of us had bleu cheese dressing.

Our main course was, always, all-you-can-east snow crab legs. Needless to say, Buck and I were caught in a blizzard of shellfish. They were sweet, tender and exited their shells with ease. We only sampled the baked potato that came with our meals and enjoyed a pitcher of Killians Irish Red with our crabs.

Hello...no room for dessert. Big surprise.

The music was okay, but not the band we always expect and enjoy. They were playing somewhere else. Still, we had a wonderful evening and left with tons and tons of colored beads and memories of a fabulous time. Alas, we'll have to wait another year to do this. But, it's always definitely worth the wait.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #32
Head Chef
Snoop Puss/lulu

I have a flat in Regent's Park (south). I have found a wonderful fish store on Marylebone High street, but for most of my shopping I have been going to a few larger markets as well as some smaller chain stores such as Tesco. I found that Somerfield on Portland has a pretty good selection.
I looked for brisket, but they didn't have it. I do remember seeing they had rump, frying steak, sirloin and stewing meat, more lamb than I'm use to seeing in the states, and a good selection of chicken.

Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by licia
DH cooked steaks on the grill. It was such a busy day. My mom was taken to the hospital, my gs was with us because he had a terrible cough and upper respiratory infection, dh was playing golf, I had a tea party for an elderly lady in the afternoon. We had parsley potatoes and salad with the steaks. Our gd, gs and daughter were here for dinner - no dessert, but gd and gs took home the cinnamon rolls I'd made. I was on the phone almost all of the morning regarding my mother. I don't know what is happening there and should hear more this morning. We were just up there Monday and took her to the doctor and the er. I may have to go back up.Remember her in your prayers, please.
Just saw you note licia,
prayers for your mom..Let me know how she is.

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote